Nikon 70-300 VR lens

Old May 23rd 12, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

Default Nikon 70-300 VR lens

Any thoughts on the Nikon 70-300 VR IF ED lens.

Most reviews gloss over the lens but no real user reports.

Wanting to buy it as a replacement lens but unsure if its any good.

My other option is the Nikon 80-400 but the AF is slow mechanical type
and not the SW focus.

Is there any other recommendations within this range or is the Sigma
50-500 f4.5-6.3 worth looking at??

Need a fast AF and VR

thanks.
Old May 23rd 12, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Rob wrote:

Any thoughts on the Nikon 70-300 VR IF ED lens.

Most reviews gloss over the lens but no real user reports.

Wanting to buy it as a replacement lens but unsure if its any good.

it's a very good lens and well worth the money.

My other option is the Nikon 80-400 but the AF is slow mechanical type
and not the SW focus.

that's an old lens and not that good. it doesn't have afs focusing and
its vr is first generation and not as good as the 70-300. the only
advantage is it goes to 400 versus 300 but it's not that great past 300
so you aren't really gaining anything. it's definitely not worth the
money.

Is there any other recommendations within this range or is the Sigma
50-500 f4.5-6.3 worth looking at??

don't even think about that lens. zooms with that wide of a range are
for convenience, not for quality, not that sigma can do quality.

depending on your budget, a 70-200 f/2.8 might be a consideration. it's
a *lot* more money but it's a much better lens too.
Old May 23rd 12, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-05-22 16:38:36 -0700, Rob said:

Any thoughts on the Nikon 70-300 VR IF ED lens.

The new AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G ED VR, is a very good value lens
which produces good results, and is a great improvement over the old
non-VR 70-300mm I have the new lens and have owned the old. Here are
some of the images it has produced for me with a D300s:
http://db.tt/zyiTdFvy
http://db.tt/yzx7vAQi
http://db.tt/KXNMS1YS
http://db.tt/Aur6eA0g
http://db.tt/VhVhuttQ

Most reviews gloss over the lens but no real user reports.

Wanting to buy it as a replacement lens but unsure if its any good.

It is very good, but certainly not a 70-200mm VRII at almost 3X the price.

My other option is the Nikon 80-400 but the AF is slow mechanical type
and not the SW focus.

I hardly ever use my 80-400mm any more. It is not the sharpest of
lenses, and it is certainly slow.

Is there any other recommendations within this range or is the Sigma
50-500 f4.5-6.3 worth looking at??

Need a fast AF and VR

thanks.

Depending on the $$$ you care to spend, the 70-300mm VR should be on
the consideration list for the hobbyist.

Savageduck

Old May 23rd 12, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-05-22 16:38:36 -0700, Rob said:

[...]

Oops!
I forgot to resize that P-51;
http://db.tt/39K0jboe

Savageduck

Old May 23rd 12, 09:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Rob wrote:
Any thoughts on the Nikon 70-300 VR IF ED lens.

Most reviews gloss over the lens but no real user reports.

Wanting to buy it as a replacement lens but unsure if its any good.

It is a consumer grade lens. It is cheap, and for
example has no tripod mount. It's a good buy for the price.
It is sharp enough from 70 to 200mm, but frankly if that is
indeed the range you want even the older 70-200mm f/2.8 VR is
better, and the newer 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII is far better, even with
a 1.4x teleconverter (plus it works with a 2x TC too).

If you need a sharp lens from 200mm to 300mm, this is not it.

The only real advantage of this lens is the price tag.

See http://www.bythom.com/70300vrlens.htm for a reliable review.

My other option is the Nikon 80-400 but the AF is slow mechanical type
and not the SW focus.

Despite everything else, keep in mind that it is a
professional grade lens. It is quite sharp from 80 to
300mm. It cost less than a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII plus a
2x TC, but doesn't AF nearly as fast.

If you really do need fast AF, this is not it. It is
not extremely sharp from 300 to 400mm, but still it is
about as sharp as any other similar option in terms of
weight, mobility, and zoom.

The 80-400mm can be used with a 1.4x TC at least on a
D3S, and even with a 2X TC on a D4 or D800. Neither
makes for a particularly fantastic lens, but that would
easily beat the Sigma at 500mm.

http://www.bythom.com/80400VRlens.htm

Is there any other recommendations within this range or is the Sigma
50-500 f4.5-6.3 worth looking at??

Not if you want a sharp lens.

Need a fast AF and VR

1) Look at the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII with a TC if you can
deal with the cost.

2) The 70-300mm VR might well be the next step back from
that, but only because the AF is faster than the
80-400mm.

3) You might want to rent an 80-400mm and give it a try
first, because while it isn't an AF-S lens it is a
relatively high lens.

Another option, if you are shooting with a DX body, is
the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. Not quite up the the VRII model,
but the biggest difference is vignetting that does not
affect DX sensors.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old May 23rd 12, 10:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Savageduck" wrote in message
How's the one that replaced the 70-300, the 55-300mm? Better or worse?

I think that lens is a DX. I am after a D800 as well so this is not an
option.

Nope!
It is not a DX.
In my hand I have an AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 G ED VR.

I think he meant the 55-300 was DX, but IMO if he is buying a D800 a 70-200
VR would be a better match anyway.

Trevor.

Old May 23rd 12, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-05-23 02:39:18 -0700, "Trevor" said:

"Savageduck" wrote in message
How's the one that replaced the 70-300, the 55-300mm? Better or worse?

I think that lens is a DX. I am after a D800 as well so this is not an
option.

Nope!
It is not a DX.
In my hand I have an AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 G ED VR.

I think he meant the 55-300 was DX, but IMO if he is buying a D800 a 70-200
VR would be a better match anyway.

Trevor.

Agreed.
If he is spending the $$$ on a D800 he should be able to afford the
quality glass needed for optimal performance of that camera. I have the
70-200mm f2.8 VRII on my with list along with a lot of other desirable
glass I can't justify buying, or afford right now.
Sometimes I think I must be crazy to have spent what I have on cameras,
lenses and kit as a hobbyist. I believe I have got reasonable bang for
my bucks by resisting impulse buying the latest and greatest. That said
I have my wish list and I chip away at that whenever the opportunity
arises.

Rob did not specify the DSLR he intended using when he first posed the
question in his OP. Now that he has clarified his intent to buy a D800,
he is indicating he has the ability to spend some $8-12K to build a
working bag filled with a camera which demands great glass. The
70-300mm is an affordable compromise probably not well matched to the
D800. However it does a reasonable job on my D300s and the D700.

Savageduck