Scanning instamatic 126 with Cannon 9900F Flatbed

Old November 2nd 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pictures

Default Scanning instamatic 126 with Cannon 9900F Flatbed

I just tried to scan instamatic 126, +/- 25mm*25mm film with my Cannon 9900F
Flatbed Scanner. The Canonscan software does not recognize this format and
distributes the foto as the were regular 35mm foto's. I use the 35mm frame.
With the result that the software seems not to be able to put one pictue in
one frame. Most of the pictures are displayed in two halfs in one frame. How
can I solve this problem?

Best regards,

Wery

Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter
Download de gratis SPAMfighter vandaag nog!

Old November 2nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Colin_D

Pictures wrote:
I just tried to scan instamatic 126, +/- 25mm*25mm film with my Cannon 9900F
Flatbed Scanner. The Canonscan software does not recognize this format and
distributes the foto as the were regular 35mm foto's. I use the 35mm frame.
With the result that the software seems not to be able to put one pictue in
one frame. Most of the pictures are displayed in two halfs in one frame. How
can I solve this problem?

Best regards,

Wery

Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter
Download de gratis SPAMfighter vandaag nog!

Tried sitting them in the 120 film frame? Might work ...
Colin D.

Old November 3rd 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Colin_D wrote:
Pictures wrote:
I just tried to scan instamatic 126, +/- 25mm*25mm film with my
Cannon 9900F Flatbed Scanner. The Canonscan software does not
recognize this format and distributes the foto as the were regular
35mm foto's. I use the 35mm frame. With the result that the
software
seems not to be able to put one pictue in one frame. Most of the
pictures are displayed in two halfs in one frame. How can I solve
this problem? Best regards,

Wery

These 126-size images were scanned by a (now out of production) HP
PhotoSmart S20 35mm scanner. It seems the film fits. The HP software
wanted to impose 35mm proportions and size, but offered a means of
changing the frame to match the images. Maybe you know someone with a
film scanner you can try?

http://www.fototime.com/inv/4E7A42D4A5AC9C0

Curt Anderson photos from the 60s and 70s, Riverside International
Raceway, California.

--
Frank ess

Old November 3rd 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Nov 2, 4:33 pm, "Pictures" wrote:
I just tried to scan instamatic 126, +/- 25mm*25mm film with my Cannon 9900F
Flatbed Scanner. The Canonscan software does not recognize this format and
distributes the foto as the were regular 35mm foto's. I use the 35mm frame.
With the result that the software seems not to be able to put one pictue in
one frame. Most of the pictures are displayed in two halfs in one frame. How
can I solve this problem?

Best regards,

Wery

The problem is that 126 slides are 26mmx26mm, you should be able to
manually select the frame. At least on my Epson V700 the slide hoder
leaves a lot of open space. I have never activated an automatic
selection and find it only takes a minute or so to select all 12 frames
when scanning the 35mm holder. I find the more I automate scanning, the
less precise it becomes.

Tom

Old November 3rd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennman6

Default Scanning instamatic 126 with Canon 9900F Flatbed

Pictures wrote:
I just tried to scan instamatic 126, +/- 25mm*25mm film with my Cannon 9900F
Flatbed Scanner. The Canonscan software does not recognize this format and
distributes the foto as the were regular 35mm foto's. I use the 35mm frame.
With the result that the software seems not to be able to put one pictue in
one frame. Most of the pictures are displayed in two halfs in one frame. How
can I solve this problem?

Best regards,

Wery

Don't know how much of a stickler for total image area you are, but I
came up with a simple solution that works well enough for my purpose. I
have a Canon 8400F, & I simply cut the 126 negs as singles & then put
them into cardboard 35mm slide mounts. Then I scan them as though they
were slides(going into the menu to select 'negative' instead of
'positive' image type). The auto-crop works lousy for this, so I just
take the mouse & re-size the scan area to suit. You will lose the very
tops & bottoms of the 126 neg area with them in the 35mm slide
mounts(as well as have some open gaps at each side), but most 126 stuff
is of a snapshot nature & would've had some image cropping anyway. So
this technique works pretty well for me in archiving family photos. The
only beef would be if you were scanning other people's 126 negs; but if
they are returned in neatly done slide mounts they shouldn't complain.
What else would they themselves do with them anyway? Hope this helps
you.

Dennis Forkel

Old November 7th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Colin_D wrote:
Pictures wrote:
I just tried to scan instamatic 126,

snip

Tried sitting them in the 120 film frame? Might work ...
Colin D.

--

I've had pretty good results scanning 110 negatives exactly that way.
I don't see why it wouldn't work with 126 film as well.