Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

Old October 11th 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 11/10/2018 15.21, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Who really knows what files/folders/etc could be the target
of some code "oops", let alone an actual targeted attack?

that's what backups are for. if there's an oops, simply restore from a
backup. no big deal.

Only if you know that some data files were lost during the update. Why
should they?

the update deleted entire folders, which is very obvious, but
regardless, if a desired file is missing, retrieve from a backup. it's
not a big deal.

and it's not just updates. users **** up and mistakenly delete files.
buggy apps mistakenly delete files, or corrupt them. or, someone wants
to revert to a previous version.

anyone who doesn't have backups has only themselves to blame *when*
(not if) they lose important data, not microsoft, apple, google, etc.

I know people that do not know how to copy files to/from an usb stick.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 11th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MC
wrote:

I was running a test of a Halloween lighting program on a Win 10
machine and several hours into the test the damn machine did
an unexpected reboot. I normally run the program continuously
starting a few days before Halloween. seems the activity monitor
doesn't know this program is running. I've never had a Win 7
machine reboot on its own.
The last thing one wants is for the system to go down in the
middle of a 'show'.

Windows 10 is designed to ensure updates do, indeed, take place. It is
not, however, designed to update when it feels like it. This is so
that workflow is not disrupted. There are ways built into Windows 10
to allow you to control when (not if) and how the update is
implemented. If the update options and controls are set up correctly
on your PC then any disruptions to your "show" will not happen.

in other words, it *is* designed to update when it feels like it, but
the user can defer it in some cases, but not all.

most people won't even know where to begin to do that (and it's not
possible in some cases), so for most people they will be interrupted
when it's convenient for the os but not for them, which is exactly what
happens.
Old October 11th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

[...]

one need not know how to do that for backups to occur.
Old October 11th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MC
wrote:

I never know when mine is updating until I go to shut down. I then
see the "Update and Shut down" rather than just "Shut down" on the
Start menu. Then when I reboot next day it just goes into
"Configuring windows" for a couple of minutes and straight back to
desktop. No fuss, no bother, painless and straightforward. I see
no problem whatsoever and certainly no "worse possible time".

then you're the exception

Probably because I have correctly set up the way updates work on my PC.

it should be that way by default, without anyone needing to do anything
special.

requiring the user to tweak things so that it doesn't **** them over is
why it's broken, and what's worse is that there are people who make
excuses for it being broken.

there are ****loads of examples and it's one of the biggest
complaints about win10.

I have not been through all the examples you have posted but most were
old examples dating back to when Windows 10 was new and/or prior to
when automatic updates were tweaked by MS.

this was from 6 months ago, so most likely 1803 or possibly 1709, where
win10 rebooted with *unsaved* *data*, causing data loss:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...s_10_home_how_
do_i_prevent_update_reboots/
Virtualbox VMs and Notepads may be open with unsaved data in them.
This is non-negotiable.
Windows 10 periodically kills these applications without respecting
the unsaved data in them.
How do I force windows 10 to never do this? I don't mind windows 10
restarting if there is no unsaved data. But unsaved data in an
application should never ever ever be lost.

*anything* that causes data loss is unacceptable.

the update can be deferred, except not in all versions, and not one
that's in progress:
https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-...ates-auto-rest
arts-are-the-worst/
And while the next version of Windows will let you stave off updates
for a 35-day period (if you paid extra for a Pro, Enterprise or
Education-grade copy of Windows, which sounds like a moderate form of
blackmail), my understanding is that even those versions won't let
you cancel an update that's already been delayed and is now about to
occur.

Most of these examples also
fall under the category of the user/admin not knowing how to prevent a
reboot/implementation during workflow hrs.

again, forcing the user to tweak things so that it doesn't **** them
over is a major design defect.

windows update is broken. it's that simple.

If it is I have not noticed it.

then you're in denial, the part you snipped:

In article , nospam
then you're the exception, or just in denial.

Old October 11th 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Holy crap!

Can you guys just fix whatever problem it is you have with Win10 so we can
get back to something which resembles photography?

....or perhaps this is an issue better sorted out in a Win10 NG.

Savageduck

Old October 11th 18, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 12:54:09 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Holy crap!

Can you guys just fix whatever problem it is you have with Win10 so we can
get back to something which resembles photography?

It is related to photography. I had to upload some photos for my house
listing, and that PC crashed once again, and wouldn't boot at all. No
access to my processed photos.

I think I have it fixed for good this time. I even got it updated to
the newest version for the first time in 18 months. But now I think it
might be a good idea to have LR on two PC's, and then keep them
synced.
Old October 11th 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Can you guys just fix whatever problem it is you have with Win10 so we can
get back to something which resembles photography?

It is related to photography. I had to upload some photos for my house
listing, and that PC crashed once again, and wouldn't boot at all. No
access to my processed photos.

I think I have it fixed for good this time.

did it involve explosives, and did you video it in hdr or slo-mo?
Old October 11th 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MC
wrote:

windows update is broken. it's that simple.

If it is I have not noticed it.

then you're in denial, the part you snipped:

What? I have nothing to be in denial of. As I have said, I have not
experienced any negative issues with Windows 10 update.

others definitely have. *many* others. a quick search shows zillions of
hits with people experiencing this.

I have, however, seen that there are, indeed, people complaining that
they have experienced issues with Windows 10 Update,

which you're ignoring.

but these are
invariably down to not correctly implementing procedures on their PC to
prevent reboots happening when they do not want them to happen.

nope. it's because windows update is fundamentally broken.

the *default* should *not* interrupt people's workflow.

In the
cases where there has been data loss, it is the users responsibility to
safeguard their data against "unforseen" circumstances (sudden reboots,
power failure, software crashes, natural disasters and alien invasions
etc.) by regularly saving their work and by using a miriad of backups
options.

yes, they should have backups, but under no circumstances should the os
interrupt what someone is doing, especially not reboot with *unsaved*
*data*, which is normally not backed up (although there are
exceptions).

if there's unsaved data, a reboot should block until the user chooses
to save or not save.

it's also easy for a computer to determine if it's not idle, especially
when the os has facial recognition (windows hello). if there's a face
in front of the display, do not auto-reboot.

None of all this says to me that Windows 10 Update is "broken". All it
says to me is that if your workflow and your data is of any value, you
need to do a little bit of option ticking and unticking and implement
decent backup procedures. All of which is common sense.

what's common sense is for the *default* to *not* interrupt.

offer the option for the user to enable auto-install at any time, if
that is compatible with their workflow. not by default.

it's backwards.

The denial bit of your comment was snipped, by the way, because it was
irrelevant.

it was spot-on.
Old October 11th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:30:35 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Can you guys just fix whatever problem it is you have with Win10 so we can
get back to something which resembles photography?

It is related to photography. I had to upload some photos for my house
listing, and that PC crashed once again, and wouldn't boot at all. No
access to my processed photos.

I think I have it fixed for good this time.

did it involve explosives, and did you video it in hdr or slo-mo?

I shouldn't have even said "fixed". The boot process is munged, the
drive doesn't appear in the bios, and I just don't want to spend the
time fixing it. It's more like I found a reliable workaround (F8). Too
boring for video...
Old October 11th 18, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Can you guys just fix whatever problem it is you have with Win10 so we
can get back to something which resembles photography?

It is related to photography. I had to upload some photos for my house
listing, and that PC crashed once again, and wouldn't boot at all. No
access to my processed photos.

I think I have it fixed for good this time.

did it involve explosives, and did you video it in hdr or slo-mo?

I shouldn't have even said "fixed". The boot process is munged, the
drive doesn't appear in the bios, and I just don't want to spend the
time fixing it. It's more like I found a reliable workaround (F8). Too
boring for video...

that's where the explosives come in...