Travel without a camera

Old June 21st 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Travel without a camera

On Jun 21, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

On 6/21/2017 11:27 AM, nospam wrote:
In , wrote:

I plan on getting an iMac within the next year to see how I like it.
Whichever Mac you choose I recommend at least 16 GB RAM.

The transition might annoy you a little bit at first as some things will
be
different due to a lifetime of habits.

That said, I believe you will find your new experience with a Mac
surprisingly pleasant. Just be patient through the adaption period, keep
an
open mind, and remember you can always run Windows 10 on your new Mac,
either
with a Bootcamp partition or VM. My recommendation would be to use VMware
Fusion.
I will definitely spec it with 16GB of RAM, no less. Yes, I've
developed quite a lot of habits using Windows for over 20 years. I'm
sure the transition won't be too frustrating. I'll have all the time I
need to get adapted - I'm retiring in 2 1/2 weeks.

what are you going to use the mac for?

don't assume that memory requirements of windows are the same as macos,
particularly when the mac has *extremely* fast ssd.

Most likely I'll use it for Photoshop and other imaging apps. Maybe I'll
like it enough to use it for everything else too

In time you probably will use it for everything else. ;-)

Let's assume we have a Mac and a Windows PC with similar hardware
specs. How would the memory performance be different and why would it
be different? I'm ignorant as to how a Mac OS utilizes hardware. If we
take an SSD out of the equation for both comparable systems, is the
performance any different?

On this mid-2010 iMac I have 16 GB which is good enough for the LR+PS work I
do. That gives me enough headroom to have several work spaces allocated to
running a bunch of other stuff; email, internet browser, Usenet client,
Facetime, Messages, Skype, and a few other things at the same time.

Savageduck

Old June 21st 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On this mid-2010 iMac I have 16 GB which is good enough for the LR+PS work I
do. That gives me enough headroom to have several work spaces allocated to
running a bunch of other stuff; email, internet browser, Usenet client,
Facetime, Messages, Skype, and a few other things at the same time.

you're going to see a rather dramatic increase in speed with your new
imac 5k...
Old June 21st 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/21/2017 11:49 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 21, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

On 6/21/2017 10:53 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 21, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

On 6/21/2017 10:02 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 21, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

On 6/20/2017 4:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 20, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , wrote:
Snip
Take out corporate sales and the numbers are still overwhelmingly in
favor of Windows PCs and you know that.
they aren't.

look around. there are ****loads of macs.
Why not just take a poll among the usual suspects in this room?

As best I can recall the Mac users here are Alan Browne, Davoud, David
B.,
Sandman, Whisky-Dave, you, and me. That is 7 confirmed, there might be a
few
more.

Confirmed Windows users are Eric, PeterN, Tony Cooper, PAS, Mayayana,
Bill
W,
Noons, David Taylor, and probably at least 5 more for around 13.

Then there is Floyd who has no time for Windows, or MacOS, along with
the
other Linux devotees.
We've got two desktops. One is an older HP in our guestroom that was
bought when Windows Vista was released. I have Windows 10 on it now and
it's still going strong. It gets used mostly by guests when they stay
over. My desktop is one I built about 1 1/2 years ago.

We have three laptops in the house. Mine is seldom used. My wife
refuses to give up her tired old laptop for the new one I bought her
over a year ago. But very soon she'll have no choice

[...]

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Great Army of the Gainfully
Unemployed.

Thank you! Lots of big changes on our lives. Retiring, selling or
home, packing up, leaving friends, heading to a new place for a new life.

IIRC your son is with NYPD. I guess he has his home somewhere in the NYC
area.
Where in NY is your home, and where are you planning to move?

I made the move from Upstate NY to California over 40 years ago and I am
quite content here on the California Central Coast in San Luis Obispo County.
My only issue this week has been the current heat wave. Since Thursday last
week we have had temperatures ranging from 103ºF-106ºF (39.4ºC-40.5ºC)
with no relief in the offing until the weekend when we should have a cold
snap in the mid 90’s.

My son recently moved to Mineola which is not far from NYC. Driving
through there made me think I was in Queens, very congested area.

My wife and I are in Manorville on the eastern part of Long Island.
Manorville is almost at the end of the infamous Long Island Expressway.
We are moving to Kingsport, TN. It's in the northeast corner of the
state in the Johnson City area. We are in the midst of approving our
home design and the builder will start after we move down there.

Old June 21st 17, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/21/2017 11:54 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

I will definitely spec it with 16GB of RAM, no less. Yes, I've
developed quite a lot of habits using Windows for over 20 years. I'm
sure the transition won't be too frustrating. I'll have all the time I
need to get adapted - I'm retiring in 2 1/2 weeks.
what are you going to use the mac for?

don't assume that memory requirements of windows are the same as macos,
particularly when the mac has *extremely* fast ssd.

Most likely I'll use it for Photoshop and other imaging apps.

then 16 gig is probably a good idea.

Maybe I'll
like it enough to use it for everything else too

you just might.

Let's assume we have a Mac and a Windows PC with similar hardware
specs. How would the memory performance be different and why would it
be different? I'm ignorant as to how a Mac OS utilizes hardware. If we
take an SSD out of the equation for both comparable systems, is the
performance any different?

why take the ssd out of the equation? ssds on the latest macs are much
faster than the ssds usually found on windows systems, especially if
they're using a sata ssd, benchmarking in the range of 3 gigabytes (not
bits) per second.

I'm taking the SSD out of the equation just for the sake of comparison.
Comparison #1 is with an SSD, comparison #2 is without SSD. For
argument's sake, using comparable hardware with an SSD, let's say that
Mac OS runs 10% faster than Windows. Now, using comparable hardware
with a "regular" hard drive, does the Mac still run 10% faster or does
that margin go down to 5%? There could no performance differences at
all, I don't know.

Old June 21st 17, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 21, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

In , wrote:
[...]

I still have some college friends from Syracuse who live in the NYC area in
Gramercy Park, Queens, Maspeth, and some a drive away at Spring Valley and
Mt. Kisco.

My wife and I are in Manorville on the eastern part of Long Island.
Manorville is almost at the end of the infamous Long Island Expressway.
We are moving to Kingsport, TN. It's in the northeast corner of the
state in the Johnson City area. We are in the midst of approving our
home design and the builder will start after we move down there.

That should be pretty nice being close to the mountains will be different for
you. I had family in Asheville, NC which is a short drive from Johnson City,
and my father, though born in LaFayette, GA, after my grandmother died, lived
with an aunt in Hickory, NC, and went to high school in Granite Falls, NC.
I have a cousin who lives little further South in Chattanooga, and another
old school friend who lives outside Nashville. So it is a region I am
familiar with.

Savageduck

Old June 21st 17, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 21-Jun-17 3:43 PM, PAS wrote:
On 6/21/2017 10:22 AM, David B. wrote:
On 21-Jun-17 2:45 PM, PAS wrote:
I plan on getting an iMac within the next year to see how I like it.

I have absolutely no doubt that you will LOVE it! :-)

FWIW, I recommend that you splash out and go for the top of the range
27 inch iMac.

Who amongst us would not love a shiny new toy? I've always admired the
current design of the iMac. There is an Apple Store not far from where
I live and on the few occasions I find myself at the mall where it is, I
always stop in to check them out.

My son was, at that time an RAF helicopter pilot and instructor, serving
with the USAF at Kirtland Air Force Base in Albuquerque, New Mexico,
when the iMac was first launched in 2008.

A good article he- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac

He was enthrawled after checking it out in the Apple store in
Albuquerque and bought one without hardly a second thought. He was
swayed, I'm sure, by the fact that Jonathan Ives, the designer, is a
fellow Brit! ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Ive

Within days he was on the 'phone insistent that his dad should buy one
too - so I did! One of the best decisions I have _ever_ made. :-)

Sadly, I have to leave it at home when I'm on board my narrowboat - like
now. The temperature here this afternoon was/is 33 degrees Celcius -
outrageously hot for England!

--
Sometimes man stumbles over the truth. (W.Churchill)
Old June 21st 17, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

no idea, and it can vary depending on what specifically you're doing,
so it's not worth worrying about.

what matters is how productive you are at doing what it is you want to
do and the overall user experience (something that doesn't show up on a
benchmark).

another thing you may not realize (and part of the user experience) is
that when you first boot the imac, as part of the setup process, it
will ask if you want to migrate from an existing computer or set it up
as new. you can choose your windows computer as a source, and it will
copy all of your email (and isp settings), browser bookmarks, contacts,
photos, etc. it's not anywhere near as complete as a mac migration
(which includes everything), but it's the best it can do.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087
Old June 21st 17, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/21/2017 2:01 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 21, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

In , wrote:
[...]

My mother and father met at a small college in Swannanoa, just outside
of Asheville. It's a nice area, I went to college there too. The drive
on the Blue Ridge Pkwy is fantastic.

Here's the story about moving to TN: it was my wife's idea to go to
TN. We first checked out Murfreesboro, about 1/2 hour from Nashville.
She wasn't impressed - too flat for her. Strange since Long Island is
flat. Six months after that visit I suggested we go to the Johnson City
area, hardly flat there at all. She loved the area but the homes in the
areas that caught her fancy were very high-priced and far too large for
us. I found a home online in an area and asked her if she wanted to see
it. It's an ugly green color and that turned her off completely. She
was a bit frustrated with the whole process too so that added to it.
She was resigned to leaving without finding anything. The next morning
she contacted a real estate agent and while we were eating lunch, the
agent called and said there is a home she might be interested in and
gave her the info. It was the green home. I checked and found that we
were only eight miles from there and convinced her to at least go have a
look. Off we went and as soon as we drove into the subdivision, she was
in love with the place. We went to the house and found there were two
lots available next to it. We decided to buy one and have a house built
there. Next was the task of finding a home design we liked. She
couldn't find anything she liked. We're accustomed to going into model
homes and being able to choose. Not the case here. A year later and
she could not find anything she liked. We met with the builder this
past April and, after a discussion, he said he had a home design she
might like. He showed her the floor plan and she liked it a lot. What
floor plan is that? The same one as the ugly green house.

Homes in this subdivision range from the $300,000s to over $4,000,000.
There's a short video of the subdivision he
http://oldislandcommunity.com/

Old June 21st 17, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

That that really slows modern system down is not the hardware or the OS
themselves but the services that you ad. That's why so much better spec
hardware don't seem to perform that much better with a new computer and
OS than an old well maintained system.

My Mac is running fine since I've frozen the system and there's no
reason to upgrade 'til I for some reason want to install software that's
not supported by the OS. I also have a W10 for things that Macs don't
do...

If you think that a Mac will do that that you need and you can afford it
then it is the recommended system for creative talents.
--
teleportation kills
Old June 21st 17, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/21/2017 2:14 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

The migration from Windows to the Mac may be as complete as a Mac
migration but t doesn't sound too shabby. How long have they had that
feature?