Travel without a camera

Old June 21st 17, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

Default Travel without a camera

On 6/21/2017 6:11 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 19:48:57 UTC+1, PAS wrote:
On 6/20/2017 2:31 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

Other than purely anecdotal evidence, why didn't you simply say that you
really cannot cite any proof to your claim that

"when people *do* have a choice, based on an objective comparison of the
options available, they overwhelmingly choose a mac"
because that would be a lie. there's extensive proof.

The facts are that home users overwhelmingly choose Windows PCs.
not anymore they don't.

Most
home users aren't using "premium" systems and, furthermore, the numbers
never take into account the who-knows-how-many thousands and thousands
of people who build their own premium PCs and they run Windows.
laptops have greatly outsold desktops for well over a decade and nobody
builds their own laptops.

that leaves desktops, and nearly all of those are prebuilt.

those who build their own is a tiny segment and shrinking.

LOL. You are good for a laugh. Sales for 2016:

Lenovo 21.3%, HP 20.9%, Dell 15.7%, Asus 7.1%, Apple 7.1%, all others 27.7%

https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/23/mac-s...gained-ground/

Explain how that equates to the majority of users choosing a Mac over a
Windows PC.

Most people at work don't have a choice , they get given a PC and that is that.
I only got a mac this time because they are old and didn't want to give me a new or newly set up PC, they knew I knew how to use a Mac so they gave me one of the ones they weren't using for other things. Saying "you can have an old Mac if you like". My previous 3 computers were all PCs because we didn't 'support' macs
We had a bad batch of Lenovo labtops or was it just bad luck that so many got returned within a few months.
The problem is few get any choice, they get give a stock computer of X or Y spec they don't even get to choose how much RAM, disk size or anything else.
Whn my studetns come to me asking for a computer they are given a form to fill out to say if there;s anything particualr they might need.
What they get is a i5 PC with 4-8GB of RAM and a hard disc, that it what they will get it doesn't matter what goes on the form, over the years I';ve handed out less form as studetns tend to buy their own laptoips now rather than have a home PC and I see a significant number of Macs, more macs than PC laptops, maybe this is because we have engineering students rather than history, geography students so ours know what they need or want. Of course not everyone can afford a Mac so perhaps that's why Lenovo and others such as chrome books sell well, but there's also the one thing that's not taken into account is how the the computer will still be usable for.
Check out the resale price of older computers say 3 or 5 years old.
There's a reason I opted for a mid 2011 Mac rather than a 2015 PC.

If the number of PCs sold for business use were removed from the
equation, I highly doubt that the claim "when people have a choice they
*overwhelmingly* choose a Mac" is true. The majority of home users use
a Windows PC, not a Mac.

and the reason I can't print is that they have removed the SMB systemes that were running windows 7 print servers (because of wannacry) although one person seemed to think it was because I had a Mac.

Old June 21st 17, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 21, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

On 6/20/2017 4:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 20, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , wrote:

Snip
Take out corporate sales and the numbers are still overwhelmingly in
favor of Windows PCs and you know that.
they aren't.

look around. there are ****loads of macs.

Why not just take a poll among the usual suspects in this room?

As best I can recall the Mac users here are Alan Browne, Davoud, David B.,
Sandman, Whisky-Dave, you, and me. That is 7 confirmed, there might be a few
more.

Confirmed Windows users are Eric, PeterN, Tony Cooper, PAS, Mayayana, Bill
W,
Noons, David Taylor, and probably at least 5 more for around 13.

Then there is Floyd who has no time for Windows, or MacOS, along with the
other Linux devotees.

We've got two desktops. One is an older HP in our guestroom that was
bought when Windows Vista was released. I have Windows 10 on it now and
it's still going strong. It gets used mostly by guests when they stay
over. My desktop is one I built about 1 1/2 years ago.

We have three laptops in the house. Mine is seldom used. My wife
refuses to give up her tired old laptop for the new one I bought her
over a year ago. But very soon she'll have no choice

I plan on getting an iMac within the next year to see how I like it.

Whichever Mac you choose I recommend at least 16 GB RAM.

The transition might annoy you a little bit at first as some things will be
different due to a lifetime of habits.

That said, I believe you will find your new experience with a Mac
surprisingly pleasant. Just be patient through the adaption period, keep an
open mind, and remember you can always run Windows 10 on your new Mac, either
with a Bootcamp partition or VM. My recommendation would be to use VMware
Fusion.

Savageduck

Old June 21st 17, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 21-Jun-17 2:45 PM, PAS wrote:
I plan on getting an iMac within the next year to see how I like it.

I have absolutely no doubt that you will LOVE it! :-)

FWIW, I recommend that you splash out and go for the top of the range 27
inch iMac.

--
Sometimes man stumbles over the truth. (W.Churchill)
Old June 21st 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

In , wrote:
[...]

I will definitely spec it with 16GB of RAM, no less. Yes, I've
developed quite a lot of habits using Windows for over 20 years. I'm
sure the transition won't be too frustrating. I'll have all the time I
need to get adapted - I'm retiring in 2 1/2 weeks.

Being able to run Windows is a bonus. In our office, there are two
Macs. One is an iMac that is used for testing purposes to make sure our
web apps run on a Mac properly. The other is the owner's MacBook Pro.
I don't know if he ever boots into MacOS but he runs Windows on it here
at the office.

Old June 21st 17, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/21/2017 10:22 AM, David B. wrote:
On 21-Jun-17 2:45 PM, PAS wrote:
I plan on getting an iMac within the next year to see how I like it.

I have absolutely no doubt that you will LOVE it! :-)

FWIW, I recommend that you splash out and go for the top of the range
27 inch iMac.

Who amongst us would not love a shiny new toy? I've always admired the
current design of the iMac. There is an Apple Store not far from where
I live and on the few occasions I find myself at the mall where it is, I
always stop in to check them out.

Old June 21st 17, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 21, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

In , wrote:
[...]

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Great Army of the Gainfully
Unemployed.

Old June 21st 17, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 9:52:49 AM UTC-4, PAS wrote:
If the number of PCs sold for business use were removed from the
equation, I highly doubt that the claim "when people have a choice they
*overwhelmingly* choose a Mac" is true. The majority of home users use
a Windows PC, not a Mac.

I'm sure that splitting apart business -from- personal would
have an effect on the percentage split, but I'm not about to
claim that its enough to claim a "majority of home users".

For example, let's illustrate this with some rough SWAGs as
outline assumptions. For example, the last "actuals" I
noticed in the news were roughly:

Apple worldwide marketshare = 7%
Apple USA marketshare = 15%

For simplicity sake, let's use just the USA's ~15%.

Next, another data point that's needed (but virtually
impossible to actually find) is what percentage of
domestic USA PC sales are business -vs- personal.

For simplicity sake, let's use just assume a 50-50 split.

Next, another data point that's needed (but similarly
hard to actually find) is what percentage of domestic
USA PC sales to business are Windows -vs- Mac.

For simplicity sake, let's use just assume 100% Windows.

From these assumptions, the domestic USA personal home
market sales can be (at least notionally) derived, namely:

15% (Mac share/all USA) = 50% (business-share-%) + 50% (home-share-%)

15% = (.50)(Business-0%) + (.50)(Home-N%)

Solving, the Home N% = 30%

Granted, the real numbers aren't this simple, but this model
suffices to illustrate both the general trend as well as being
a rational upper limit to making a claim...

....which based on these assumptions, is a 30% home marketshare.

Certainly, Apple's home marketshare is higher than the total
domestic market share value (because Enterprise isn't known
to be a huge Mac buyer), but its not necessarily high enough
to be likely a 'majority'. Something more has to shift to do
that, such as factors not considered such as useful lifespan.

-hh
Old June 21st 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/21/2017 10:53 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 21, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

In , wrote:
[...]

Thank you! Lots of big changes on our lives. Retiring, selling or
home, packing up, leaving friends, heading to a new place for a new life.

Old June 21st 17, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

I plan on getting an iMac within the next year to see how I like it.

did i read that correctly???

anyway, i suggest getting an 18 core imac pro. that should be enough.
Old June 21st 17, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

If the number of PCs sold for business use were removed from the
equation, I highly doubt that the claim "when people have a choice they
*overwhelmingly* choose a Mac" is true. The majority of home users use
a Windows PC, not a Mac.

that's past tense, what they bought some years ago, not what they're
buying today and what they're buying going forward.