Travel without a camera

Old June 20th 17, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Travel without a camera

In article , PAS wrote:

Most
home users aren't using "premium" systems and, furthermore, the numbers
never take into account the who-knows-how-many thousands and thousands
of people who build their own premium PCs and they run Windows.

laptops have greatly outsold desktops for well over a decade and nobody
builds their own laptops.

that leaves desktops, and nearly all of those are prebuilt.

those who build their own is a tiny segment and shrinking.

LOL. You are good for a laugh. Sales for 2016:

Lenovo 21.3%, HP 20.9%, Dell 15.7%, Asus 7.1%, Apple 7.1%, all others 27.7%

https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/23/mac-s...-year-as-lenov
o-dell-and-others-gained-ground/

Explain how that equates to the majority of users choosing a Mac over a
Windows PC.

those numbers are overall sales, not retail sales where people have a
choice in what they're buying.

it includes corporate which often require a windows box on someone's
desk. the user doesn't have a choice, other than to get a new job.

in companies where people *can* choose, such as ibm (link in previous
post), people are choosing macs in significant numbers (73% at ibm)
*and* saving money in the process (as much as $543 per mac).

those windows sales numbers also include non-desktop systems, such as
atms, traffic lights, etc., which completely skews things. nobody buys
a mac to be used as a traffic light. if you look at *just* desktop
systems (which includes laptops), the numbers paint a very different
story.

also, market share numbers assume each customer is the same. they
aren't.

and by *your* numbers, home-built computers are less than 7%, lumped in
with others.

lastly, apple isn't chasing market share.
Old June 20th 17, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/20/2017 3:15 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

Take out corporate sales and the numbers are still overwhelmingly in
favor of Windows PCs and you know that.

it includes corporate which often require a windows box on someone's
desk. the user doesn't have a choice, other than to get a new job.

in companies where people *can* choose, such as ibm (link in previous
post), people are choosing macs in significant numbers (73% at ibm)
*and* saving money in the process (as much as $543 per mac).

those windows sales numbers also include non-desktop systems, such as
atms, traffic lights, etc., which completely skews things. nobody buys
a mac to be used as a traffic light. if you look at *just* desktop
systems (which includes laptops), the numbers paint a very different
story.

Where in that article does it state that the figures are for any devices
other than a laptop or desktop? I'll answer that - nowhere. Next...

also, market share numbers assume each customer is the same. they
aren't.

and by *your* numbers, home-built computers are less than 7%, lumped in
with others.

How do you deduce a figure of "less than 7%" form a sales amount of
27.7% for "Others"? Is that new, new math?

lastly, apple isn't chasing market share.

For the purposes of this discussion, who cares? You're trying to move
the goalpost again.
Old June 20th 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

Explain how that equates to the majority of users choosing a Mac over a
Windows PC.

those numbers are overall sales, not retail sales where people have a
choice in what they're buying.

Take out corporate sales and the numbers are still overwhelmingly in
favor of Windows PCs and you know that.

they aren't.

look around. there are ****loads of macs.

it includes corporate which often require a windows box on someone's
desk. the user doesn't have a choice, other than to get a new job.

in companies where people *can* choose, such as ibm (link in previous
post), people are choosing macs in significant numbers (73% at ibm)
*and* saving money in the process (as much as $543 per mac).

those windows sales numbers also include non-desktop systems, such as
atms, traffic lights, etc., which completely skews things. nobody buys
a mac to be used as a traffic light. if you look at *just* desktop
systems (which includes laptops), the numbers paint a very different
story.

Where in that article does it state that the figures are for any devices
other than a laptop or desktop? I'll answer that - nowhere. Next...

unless otherwise specified, market share numbers include *all* windows
systems, not just what ends up on a desk. that's why they're so
misleading.

also, market share numbers assume each customer is the same. they
aren't.

and by *your* numbers, home-built computers are less than 7%, lumped in
with others.

How do you deduce a figure of "less than 7%" form a sales amount of
27.7% for "Others"? Is that new, new math?

because what comes after apple at 7% is 'other'. if home-built was 7%,
it would have eclipsed apple.

lastly, apple isn't chasing market share.

For the purposes of this discussion, who cares?

you obviously do.

You're trying to move
the goalpost again.

nope.
Old June 20th 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/20/2017 4:04 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

Nice attempt at spin but you failed. You can read, can't you? Note the
chart where it reads "Personal Computer Market Share via Bloomberg
Intelligence". Those stats are for PC sales, not other devices. A POS
system is not a PC.

Old June 20th 17, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 20, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , wrote:

Snip

Take out corporate sales and the numbers are still overwhelmingly in
favor of Windows PCs and you know that.

they aren't.

look around. there are ****loads of macs.

Why not just take a poll among the usual suspects in this room?

As best I can recall the Mac users here are Alan Browne, Davoud, David B.,
Sandman, Whisky-Dave, you, and me. That is 7 confirmed, there might be a few
more.

Confirmed Windows users are Eric, PeterN, Tony Cooper, PAS, Mayayana, Bill W,
Noons, David Taylor, and probably at least 5 more for around 13.

Then there is Floyd who has no time for Windows, or MacOS, along with the
other Linux devotees.

Savageduck

Old June 20th 17, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

those windows sales numbers also include non-desktop systems, such as
atms, traffic lights, etc., which completely skews things. nobody buys
a mac to be used as a traffic light. if you look at *just* desktop
systems (which includes laptops), the numbers paint a very different
story.
Where in that article does it state that the figures are for any devices
other than a laptop or desktop? I'll answer that - nowhere. Next...

unless otherwise specified, market share numbers include *all* windows
systems, not just what ends up on a desk. that's why they're so
misleading.

Nice attempt at spin but you failed. You can read, can't you? Note the
chart where it reads "Personal Computer Market Share via Bloomberg
Intelligence". Those stats are for PC sales, not other devices. A POS
system is not a PC.

it gets counted, regardless of what it ends up being used for.
Old June 20th 17, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Take out corporate sales and the numbers are still overwhelmingly in
favor of Windows PCs and you know that.

they aren't.

look around. there are ****loads of macs.

Why not just take a poll among the usual suspects in this room?

As best I can recall the Mac users here are Alan Browne, Davoud, David B.,
Sandman, Whisky-Dave, you, and me. That is 7 confirmed, there might be a few
more.

Confirmed Windows users are Eric, PeterN, Tony Cooper, PAS, Mayayana, Bill W,
Noons, David Taylor, and probably at least 5 more for around 13.

Then there is Floyd who has no time for Windows, or MacOS, along with the
other Linux devotees.

you're assuming each person has only one computer. not a good
assumption.

if you're counting unit sales, you would need to count how many
computers each person has and what it's running, because a mac can run
macos, windows and/or linux, either the entire os or just the apps.

some people even buy macs to run windows and never boot macos.
Old June 20th 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 20, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

Take out corporate sales and the numbers are still overwhelmingly in
favor of Windows PCs and you know that.

they aren't.

look around. there are ****loads of macs.

Why not just take a poll among the usual suspects in this room?

As best I can recall the Mac users here are Alan Browne, Davoud, David B.,
Sandman, Whisky-Dave, you, and me. That is 7 confirmed, there might be a few
more.

Confirmed Windows users are Eric, PeterN, Tony Cooper, PAS, Mayayana, Bill
W,
Noons, David Taylor, and probably at least 5 more for around 13.

Then there is Floyd who has no time for Windows, or MacOS, along with the
other Linux devotees.

you're assuming each person has only one computer. not a good
assumption.

True.
However, I was trying to keep the count simple. I have 4 desktop Macs and 3
laptops, of which only 1 desktop and 1 laptop are in current use. Then I also
have a few iOS devices. Alan Browne and Davoud probably have 10 Macs between
them

if you're counting unit sales, you would need to count how many
computers each person has and what it's running, because a mac can run
macos, windows and/or linux, either the entire os or just the apps.

some people even buy macs to run windows and never boot macos.

I know Alan Browne occasionally runs Windows on his Macs, and I have used
VMWare Fusion to access a copy of Win XP, something I haven’t had a desire
to do for some 8 years.

Savageduck

Old June 20th 17, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

some people even buy macs to run windows and never boot macos.

I know Alan Browne occasionally runs Windows on his Macs, and I have used
VMWare Fusion to access a copy of Win XP, something I havenąt had a desire
to do for some 8 years.

even if you had a desire to run xp, don't. just don't.

win10, on the other hand, is actually pretty good, although its design
language is something a 5th grader could have designed. maybe one did.
Old June 20th 17, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 17:45:35 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

some people even buy macs to run windows and never boot macos.

I know Alan Browne occasionally runs Windows on his Macs, and I have used
VMWare Fusion to access a copy of Win XP, something I havenąt had a desire
to do for some 8 years.

even if you had a desire to run xp, don't. just don't.

It's okay if you keep it off the network. That's what I do with one
laptop for one program I can't replace. No internet access needed.