iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

Old June 9th 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

I know a lot of folks who use Macs instead of Windows, like some people
in this newsgroup. It meets their needs - some power users and some who
just do simple run-of-the-mill tasks like web-surfing, email, some
documents. FWIW, I'm a Windows user and don't customize much so I don't
see if I had to or wanted to switch to a Mac would be a problem for me
except for the fact that I build my own desktops.
What exactly do you mean by, ³...except for the fact that I build my own
desktops²?

If you are refering to appearance of desktops, that is easily done on any
Mac, if not what do you mean.

What I meant was that I build my own desktop computers. If I could build
one that would run a Mac legally, I would but installing Mac OS on one
would be a violation of their license agreement. I'm sure that it
wouldn't be a straightforward install either.

OK. That makes sense.
I needed clarification because ³ build desktops² is somewhat ambiguous,
while ³build desktop computers² is clear and exact.

given the context, it's clear what was meant.
Old June 9th 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/9/2017 10:03 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"PAS" wrote

| That's what I meant. I don't mean things like
| picking folder colors. I meant that a Mac is
| generally far more locked down than Windows,
| in terms of hardware. Some of their laptops
| are virtually encased in resin. Apple go out
| of their way to prevent upgrading customizing.
|
| I've replaced hard drives in a couple of laptops and added RAM to a
| few. But most laptops my family has used have over the years have not
| been upgraded, no need to. I suspect that holds for the majority of
| laptop users.

That was just an example. Some Mac laptops
have actually been encased in resin. Even replacing
the hard disk you'd be out of luck. Are you actually
unfamiliar with Apple hardware problems? They
even invented their own screw drive design to
block people from opening things.

Not being an Apple user I am unfamiliar with whatever hardware problems
people may be experiencing.

Just today, at Slashdot, I saw this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac...Teardown/92170

People are pleasantly surprised that the new iMac
CPU can be upgraded and the RAM is not soldered
into place. Low expectations.

| Yes, I mean you can put Windows on a Mac. I have not done it as I've
| never used a Mac. But I highly doubt there's much "trouble"
| to go through to install Windows on a Mac.

First there's the cost of a Windows disk. If I
remember correctly, a Pro copy is required. That's
probably about $200 OEM or $300 full license.
Then you need to be willing to waste all those
resources to actually run an OS within an OS.
It's incredibly inefficient. Then.... For what? The
argument that "you should buy this car because
you can always drive a different one" is hardly
a convincing sales pitch.

If people have money to burn and want Mac,
they can buy Mac. If they also need Windows
they can buy a fullscale desktop for $300-$400.
And unlike Mac, it won't be glued shut. That's a
whole computer for almost the same cost as
getting Windows shoehorned into the Mac.

I never said people shouldn't use Macs, so I
don't see why you feel you need to defend them.
I only agreed with you that they're like sports
cars: Expensive, limited, and pretty. Sports cars
have their place.

I'm not defending anyone, no need to do that.

Old June 9th 17, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 06/08/2017 07:32 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"PAS" wrote

| FWIW, I'm a Windows user and don't customize much so I don't
| see if I had to or wanted to switch to a Mac would be a problem for me
| except for the fact that I build my own desktops.

That's what I meant. I don't mean things like
picking folder colors. I meant that a Mac is
generally far more locked down than Windows,
in terms of hardware. Some of their laptops
are virtually encased in resin. Apple go out
of their way to prevent upgrading customizing.

| On the other hand,
| you can Windows on a Mac so it can be just as
| customized like any
| Windows system.

Did you mean to say you can put Windows
on a Mac? Yes. If you want to buy a Mac, and
also buy a Windows disk, then go through all
that trouble. It's a lot cheaper to put Windows
on a PC.

Or you could buy a 10 year old PC on eBay, load Linux on it and have a
usable, mid-range computer.

--
Ken Hart

Old June 9th 17, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Or you could buy a 10 year old PC on eBay, load Linux on it and have a
usable, mid-range computer.

that won't be midrange.
Old June 9th 17, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Ken Hart:
Or you could buy a 10 year old PC on eBay, load Linux on it and have a
usable, mid-range computer.

When you say "usable," exactly what do you mean in the context of
photography? A solid, reliable and cheap server? Check. But that's not
digital still and video image processing. Can it run Adobe CC? Final
Cut Pro X?

The Mac OS that overlies the Macintosh BSD Unix foundation is arguably
the easiest, best, and most trouble-free way known to mankind to run
professional graphics applications. Just ask Oscar winner John Knoll,
chief creative officer of Industrial Light and Magic "I've always done
my art and development on a Mac..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S48T-cOG0ks

"Windows is fundamentally broken in so many ways including the security
model." -- IT manager

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old June 10th 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/8/2017 7:33 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| the last two are correct. the rest are absolutely wrong. it's easy to
| customize a mac, in ways you can't even begin to understand.
|
| Certainly, with that level of explanation. :-(

I think he means that if you jackhammer the
epoxy resin out of your Mac laptop you can
replace the RAM... maybe... but void the warranty...
and of course you'll need custom made tools
to get in there....

you think wrong.

Yet another clear explanation. We really learned something from that
explanation.

--
PeterN
Old June 10th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Yet another clear explanation. We really learned something from that
explanation.

excellent.
Old June 10th 17, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/8/2017 10:35 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

he has yet to explain *how* that can be measured, because he knows it's
not possible and that he's arguing just to argue.

No, I'm not explaining how to measure battery drain because that's not
my field. I wouldn't be expected to have any knowledge of the
instrumentation available to do this.

I do believe, though, that those in field the have knowledge of what
instrumentation would be required. I can recognize an effect without
having to know how to measure that effect.

cop out.

No, it's simply applying common sense. I know that leaving the
headlights on for an extended period of time in my automobile when the
engine is turned off will run down the battery. I don't have the
slightest idea of how to measure the amount of battery drain per
minute or what I would use to perform that measurement.

headlights use many watts. writing a file does not.

what you don't realize is just how incredibly small the amount of power
used when writing a file actually is and how it's totally dwarfed by
everything else that's going on with the phone.

I'm sure that someone does, though. But, it's an observable fact that
the battery will eventually become flat. And, something that has
happened to me. The fact that I don't know how to perform a
measurement, or what to do it with, does not cast any doubt on what I
know to be a fact.

the battery didn't become flat because you took a few live photos.

as i said, if you keep the camera app open for a few seconds longer
than you otherwise would have, you've completely obliterated any
savings you *might* have gained by writing a slightly smaller file.

if you answer a phone call during the day, it's even more insignificant.

i've asked both you and him to quantify how much additional power is
used when posting to usenet. so far, no answer, as expected.

It's a wise person who doesn't try to answer a question that is
outside their field of expertise.

then why do you insist on doing that?

I don't. Not accepting your answer, or disagreeing with it, is
neither an "attack" nor providing a different answer.

you didn't disagree. you went into attack mode. you have admitted you
do that. it's your hobby.

And you know all those relative metrics, without measuring.
Quick Henry, the Fabreze.

--
PeterN
Old June 17th 17, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

Some Mac laptops
have actually been encased in resin. Even replacing
the hard disk you'd be out of luck. Are you actually
unfamiliar with Apple hardware problems? They
even invented their own screw drive design to
block people from opening things.

at least they have screws.

what if there was a laptop with *no* external screws and required the
keyboard to be peeled off to open it, then needing to break ultrasonic
spot-welds to dig deeper?

introducing the new microsoft surface laptop.

2017 Surface Pro least repairable ever; Surface Laptop is made of glue

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...least-repairab
le-ever-surface-laptop-is-made-of-glue/
...The Laptop has no external screws at all; to get into the system,
iFixit had to peel off the glued-down fabric keyboard surround, an
operation that obviously can't be undone, producing a machine that
offers essentially no serviceability whatsoever. With the keyboard
surround removed, the system reveals its internals, with components
taped, soldered, or otherwise permanently affixed in place. Given how
destructive one has to be to open the machine in the first place,
perhaps that's not a big deal.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Laptop+Teardown/92915
Verdict: The Surface Laptop is not a laptop. Itıs a glue-filled
monstrosity. There is nothing about it that is upgradable or
long-lasting, and it literally canıt be opened without destroying it.
(Show us the procedure, Microsoft, weıd love to be wrong.)
Old June 17th 17, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 19:58:59 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

[...]

iFixit won't like that!