iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

Old June 9th 17, 10:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 00:53:02 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

The measurement need not be declared to all
users, but the fact that there is a battery draw should be recognized
even if that draw amount is insignificant and of no detriment to
performance. You don't deny it because you don't know how to measure
it.

i know that it's too small to be measured.

It might be too small for you to measure but I know there are people
in the field who could do it as a matter of routine: all the chip
designers for a start.

too small for everyone except chip designers, who aren't fixated on
nitpicking every little word solely to argue.

So you agree there are people who could measure it.

however, not chip designers will bother to tear apart an iphone to
measure it. they'll just laugh at the absurdity of the request.

How do you know?

Eric Stevens
Old June 9th 17, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/8/2017 10:35 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

http://www.tek.com/document/technica...-how-measure-c
urrents-attoampere-range?asset=50390

interesting.

No problem at all. I think Fry's sells them...

i'm gonna stop at radio shack tomorrow.

If you can find one that's still open. They closed all but 70 stores.

Old June 9th 17, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/8/2017 7:32 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"PAS" wrote

| FWIW, I'm a Windows user and don't customize much so I don't
| see if I had to or wanted to switch to a Mac would be a problem for me
| except for the fact that I build my own desktops.

That's what I meant. I don't mean things like
picking folder colors. I meant that a Mac is
generally far more locked down than Windows,
in terms of hardware. Some of their laptops
are virtually encased in resin. Apple go out
of their way to prevent upgrading customizing.

I've replaced hard drives in a couple of laptops and added RAM to a
few. But most laptops my family has used have over the years have not
been upgraded, no need to. I suspect that holds for the majority of
laptop users.

| On the other hand,
| you can Windows on a Mac so it can be just as
| customized like any
| Windows system.

Did you mean to say you can put Windows
on a Mac? Yes. If you want to buy a Mac, and
also buy a Windows disk, then go through all
that trouble. It's a lot cheaper to put Windows
on a PC.

Yes, I mean you can put Windows on a Mac. I have not done it as I've
never used a Mac. But I highly doubt there's much "trouble"
to go through to install Windows on a Mac. For people who want a Mac
but still have a need to use Windows for something, it's a good
solution. Most people use Windows but I know others who simply prefer a
Mac.

Old June 9th 17, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/8/2017 8:37 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 8, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

I know a lot of folks who use Macs instead of Windows, like some people
in this newsgroup. It meets their needs - some power users and some who
just do simple run-of-the-mill tasks like web-surfing, email, some
documents. FWIW, I'm a Windows user and don't customize much so I don't
see if I had to or wanted to switch to a Mac would be a problem for me
except for the fact that I build my own desktops.

What exactly do you mean by, “...except for the fact that I build my own
desktops”?

If you are refering to appearance of desktops, that is easily done on any
Mac, if not what do you mean.

What I meant was that I build my own desktop computers. If I could build
one that would run a Mac legally, I would but installing Mac OS on one
would be a violation of their license agreement. I'm sure that it
wouldn't be a straightforward install either.

Old June 9th 17, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/8/2017 8:42 PM, nospam wrote:
In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

I know a lot of folks who use Macs instead of Windows, like some people
in this newsgroup. It meets their needs - some power users and some who
just do simple run-of-the-mill tasks like web-surfing, email, some
documents. FWIW, I'm a Windows user and don't customize much so I don't
see if I had to or wanted to switch to a Mac would be a problem for me
except for the fact that I build my own desktops.

What exactly do you mean by, ³...except for the fact that I build my own
desktops²?

If you are refering to appearance of desktops, that is easily done on any
Mac, if not what do you mean.

custom built hardware. buy a power supply, enclosure, logic board,
video card, etc. and put it all together (and hope it works).

It works, I know what I'm doing.

that's easy to do for a desktop, but impossible to do for a laptop
unless don't mind something horribly clunky and overly large.

Old June 9th 17, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/8/2017 9:45 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| On the other hand,
| you can Windows on a Mac so it can be just as customized like any
| Windows system.

Try turning that around: "On the other hand,
you can always put Mac on Windows." If anyone
wanted to do that, the natural next question
would be: If you want to put Mac on Windows
then why are you running Windows at all?

some people run macos on a pc. it's called a hackintosh. it works, but
takes a fair amount of effort that could be better spent doing actual
work.

It's a violation of the license agreement too. Some of us do abide by
those things.

That's
the obvious question with Windows on Mac:
If you're going to put Windows on an overpriced,
limited Mac,

that's your first problem. no need to get an overpriced limited mac
when competitively priced very capable macs exist.

then why not cut out the middleman
and run Windows?

because with windows a mac, you can natively run mac, windows *and*
unix apps, giving the user the widest choice of software.

Old June 9th 17, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PAS" wrote

| That's what I meant. I don't mean things like
| picking folder colors. I meant that a Mac is
| generally far more locked down than Windows,
| in terms of hardware. Some of their laptops
| are virtually encased in resin. Apple go out
| of their way to prevent upgrading customizing.
|
| I've replaced hard drives in a couple of laptops and added RAM to a
| few. But most laptops my family has used have over the years have not
| been upgraded, no need to. I suspect that holds for the majority of
| laptop users.

That was just an example. Some Mac laptops
have actually been encased in resin. Even replacing
the hard disk you'd be out of luck. Are you actually
unfamiliar with Apple hardware problems? They
even invented their own screw drive design to
block people from opening things.

Just today, at Slashdot, I saw this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac...Teardown/92170

People are pleasantly surprised that the new iMac
CPU can be upgraded and the RAM is not soldered
into place. Low expectations.

| Yes, I mean you can put Windows on a Mac. I have not done it as I've
| never used a Mac. But I highly doubt there's much "trouble"
| to go through to install Windows on a Mac.

First there's the cost of a Windows disk. If I
remember correctly, a Pro copy is required. That's
probably about $200 OEM or $300 full license.
Then you need to be willing to waste all those
resources to actually run an OS within an OS.
It's incredibly inefficient. Then.... For what? The
argument that "you should buy this car because
you can always drive a different one" is hardly
a convincing sales pitch.

If people have money to burn and want Mac,
they can buy Mac. If they also need Windows
they can buy a fullscale desktop for $300-$400.
And unlike Mac, it won't be glued shut. That's a
whole computer for almost the same cost as
getting Windows shoehorned into the Mac.

I never said people shouldn't use Macs, so I
don't see why you feel you need to defend them.
I only agreed with you that they're like sports
cars: Expensive, limited, and pretty. Sports cars
have their place.

Old June 9th 17, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 9, 2017, PAS wrote
(in article ):

[...]

OK. That makes sense.
I needed clarification because “ build desktops” is somewhat ambiguous,
while “build desktop computers” is clear and exact.

On the other hand, you can Windows on a Mac so it can be just as
customized like any
Windows system.

Savageduck

Old June 9th 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| That's what I meant. I don't mean things like
| picking folder colors. I meant that a Mac is
| generally far more locked down than Windows,
| in terms of hardware. Some of their laptops
| are virtually encased in resin. Apple go out
| of their way to prevent upgrading customizing.
|
| I've replaced hard drives in a couple of laptops and added RAM to a
| few. But most laptops my family has used have over the years have not
| been upgraded, no need to. I suspect that holds for the majority of
| laptop users.

That was just an example. Some Mac laptops
have actually been encased in resin. Even replacing
the hard disk you'd be out of luck.

what hard disk? mac laptops don't have hard disks anymore, so nothing
to replace.

Are you actually
unfamiliar with Apple hardware problems? They
even invented their own screw drive design to
block people from opening things.

that was done to optimize manufacturing and the proper tools are
readily available for a few bucks from amazon or elsewhere. not a big
deal at all.

now go look at the security screws on a flip phone or cable tv box.
many of them have security screws, and those tools are not as easy to
get (although not impossible).

First there's the cost of a Windows disk. If I
remember correctly, a Pro copy is required. That's
probably about $200 OEM or $300 full license.

you 'remember' wrong. more accurately, you never knew.

there is no requirement to get pro.

Then you need to be willing to waste all those
resources to actually run an OS within an OS.
It's incredibly inefficient.

nope. there is no waste in doing so. windows runs *natively*.

Then.... For what? The
argument that "you should buy this car because
you can always drive a different one" is hardly
a convincing sales pitch.

to run a windows app. duh.

not a very good computer. in fact, a rather ****ty one.

And unlike Mac, it won't be glued shut. That's a
whole computer for almost the same cost as
getting Windows shoehorned into the Mac.

who cares. how often do you open your computer, versus use it?

by the way, apple used to make macs that were very easy to open,
without any tools at all. just pop a latch with your finger.

for the older powermacs, the computer did not even need to be shut off
when opening it.

it turned out that few people cared. most people do actual work with
their computer, not take it apart and put it back together all day
long.

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/xU2K4BtAhUqqKAmR.huge
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Mac_G4_MDD_ope
n.jpg

https://support.apple.com/library/co...are/images/en_
US/macpro/remove_side_panel.png
https://support.apple.com/library/co...are/images/en_
US/macpro/6_core_push_latches.png
https://support.apple.com/library/co...are/images/en_
US/macpro/6_core_remove_tray.png

I never said people shouldn't use Macs, so I
don't see why you feel you need to defend them.
I only agreed with you that they're like sports
cars: Expensive, limited, and pretty. Sports cars
have their place.

macs are not expensive, nor are they limited.

however, they are pretty, most of them, anyway. there were a couple of
not so attractive ones over the years.
Old June 9th 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

| FWIW, I'm a Windows user and don't customize much so I don't
| see if I had to or wanted to switch to a Mac would be a problem for me
| except for the fact that I build my own desktops.

That's what I meant. I don't mean things like
picking folder colors. I meant that a Mac is
generally far more locked down than Windows,
in terms of hardware. Some of their laptops
are virtually encased in resin. Apple go out
of their way to prevent upgrading customizing.

I've replaced hard drives in a couple of laptops and added RAM to a
few. But most laptops my family has used have over the years have not
been upgraded, no need to. I suspect that holds for the majority of
laptop users.

which is why it's not a big deal.

| On the other hand,
| you can Windows on a Mac so it can be just as
| customized like any
| Windows system.

Did you mean to say you can put Windows
on a Mac? Yes. If you want to buy a Mac, and
also buy a Windows disk, then go through all
that trouble. It's a lot cheaper to put Windows
on a PC.

Yes, I mean you can put Windows on a Mac. I have not done it as I've
never used a Mac. But I highly doubt there's much "trouble"
to go through to install Windows on a Mac.

it's actually easier than on a pc.

For people who want a Mac
but still have a need to use Windows for something, it's a good
solution. Most people use Windows but I know others who simply prefer a
Mac.

some use both.