White Lightning X800 or AlienBees B800?

Old February 22nd 04, 04:21 AM
Sean Ras

Default White Lightning X800 or AlienBees B800?

I am looking to purchase my first studio flash and I'm considering a White
Lightning X800 or an AlienBees B800. Judging by specs alone, they are both
very similar. Does anyone have experience with one or both units to suggest
I go one way or another?

I have a very small area in my home that I intend to use (about 12'L 12'W
10'H). I live in Hawaii so I will also do a lot of shooting outdoors so I
need something relatively portable also. Indoors, I'll do mostly portraiture
and black-n-white figure poses. Outdoors, I'll do a lot of bikini beach
shots as well as darker mountain and rainforest-type areas. In an earlier
post, I asked if I should purchase a Canon 550EX and 420EX instead of studio
flashes but most people advised against that. My camera is a Canon EOS 10D
if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Old February 24th 04, 03:03 AM
Lisa Horton

Sean Ras wrote:

I am looking to purchase my first studio flash and I'm considering a White
Lightning X800 or an AlienBees B800. Judging by specs alone, they are both
very similar. Does anyone have experience with one or both units to suggest
I go one way or another?

I use White Lightning Ultra Zaps, and they are great units. I think
that the main functional difference between WL and AB units are that the
AB are a lower priced line oriented more towards advanced amateurs and
entry level pros. But they are from a company that makes very good
products and stands behind those products 100%, so I wouldn't think of
them as cheap or second rate in any way.

I have a very small area in my home that I intend to use (about 12'L 12'W
10'H). I live in Hawaii so I will also do a lot of shooting outdoors so I
need something relatively portable also. Indoors, I'll do mostly portraiture
and black-n-white figure poses. Outdoors, I'll do a lot of bikini beach
shots as well as darker mountain and rainforest-type areas. In an earlier
post, I asked if I should purchase a Canon 550EX and 420EX instead of studio
flashes but most people advised against that. My camera is a Canon EOS 10D
if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Shoe mount flashes simply cannot give you the control, power, or
flexibility that studio lights can. People like the shoe mounts I think
because they can dial in flash ratios and let the system take care of
the metering. In truth, changing lighting ratios and metering with
studio lights can be very easy and fast, with greater control and a
wider variety of controls.

I do recommend the excellent RC1 remote control. It will give you
complete centralized control of up to 4 WL or AB lights, and when
combined with a wireless trigger is an extremely convenient way to
control your lights.

You will need a flash meter of some sort. Beware false economy here.
If your first meter does everything you want to do, you'll save money in
the long run.

Lisa
Old February 25th 04, 07:27 PM
curt call

"Sean Ras" wrote in message ...
I am looking to purchase my first studio flash and I'm considering a White
Lightning X800 or an AlienBees B800. Judging by specs alone, they are both
very similar. Does anyone have experience with one or both units to suggest
I go one way or another?

I have a very small area in my home that I intend to use (about 12'L 12'W
10'H). I live in Hawaii so I will also do a lot of shooting outdoors so I
need something relatively portable also. Indoors, I'll do mostly portraiture
and black-n-white figure poses. Outdoors, I'll do a lot of bikini beach
shots as well as darker mountain and rainforest-type areas. In an earlier
post, I asked if I should purchase a Canon 550EX and 420EX instead of studio
flashes but most people advised against that. My camera is a Canon EOS 10D
if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

I have both an Ultra Zap 800 and an AlienBee B400. I'm very happy
with both. Some of the areas that cost cutting was used on the AB is
evident, but I'm still satisfied with the AB's quality. I plan to
purchase another AlienBee in the future -- choosing that over the
White Lightning mainly because of price.

I want to echo Lisa's thought on a flash meter. A Minolta Autometer
is "only" about $220.
Old February 26th 04, 03:35 AM
Lisa Horton

curt call wrote:

I want to echo Lisa's thought on a flash meter. A Minolta Autometer
is "only" about $220.

That's usually my suggestion. The Sekonic L308 is a little cheaper, but
lacks the flexibility of the Minolta. Minolta has just come out with a
new version, the Autometer VF, which is not only easier to type but
appears to do a much better job of showing the ratio between flash and
ambient light. A nice improvement, for the same price.

Lisa