Kodak and Fuji...Old Film

Old September 29th 03, 07:01 AM
Frank Pittel

Default Kodak and Fuji...Old Film

All this proves is that you should shoot the film before it expires and process
soon afterwards.

Ten301 wrote:
: This is not meant to put down any product, just an observation. Yesterday, I
: was helping a friend pack up his apartment, as he's getting ready to move. We
: came across 6 rolls of 35mm film, 4 Fuji HQ 200, and 2 Kodak Gold 200 (Gen. 6).
: All the films had been sitting in a drawer for about 4 years, in an apt.
: without air conditioning. We decided to drop them off at a local drug store
: minilab, which uses Kodak paper. Here are my observations: The photos were all
: of the same party, so I can only assume they had more or less the same
: expiration dates. The prints from the Fuji film all looked liked they were
: taken yesterday, but maybe with a very slight loss of contrast (some of the
: prints had a "softness" to them). Colors were still fairly bold and accurate.
: However, the Kodak film was a disaster, very grainy, bad loss of d-max (all the
: blacks were gray, even in well-exposed daylight shots). Some of the prints were
: a total loss, with only shots of very high contrast scenes marginally
: acceptable. I'm not trying to throw gasoline on the Kodak vs. Fuji battle, and
: this was far from a scientific "test". Due to the subject matter, I'm only
: assuming that the films were of comparable age. But it is interesting to see
: how the two brands survived under the same adverse storage conditions.