Nikon ED Lenses versus G Lenses

Old January 24th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Nikon ED Lenses versus G Lenses

Do you think the quality difference between Nikon "ED" and "G" lenses are
worth the price difference? The ED lenses are touted to be better, and they
are certainly heavier. They seem to have more glass. I am leaning heavily
toward buying the "ED"'s.

Thanks,

Sandy

Old January 24th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Sandy Bloom, Ph.D. wrote:

Do you think the quality difference between Nikon "ED" and "G" lenses are
worth the price difference? The ED lenses are touted to be better, and they
are certainly heavier. They seem to have more glass. I am leaning heavily
toward buying the "ED"'s.

ED means that the lens uses extra-low-dispersion glass. G means the lens
has no aperture ring and is not fully AI-S backwards compatible. The two
are not related or mutually exclusive and really have nothing to do with
each other.

--
Jeremy |
Old January 24th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Jeremy Nixon writes:

Sandy Bloom, Ph.D. wrote:

Do you think the quality difference between Nikon "ED" and "G" lenses are
worth the price difference? The ED lenses are touted to be better, and they
are certainly heavier. They seem to have more glass. I am leaning heavily
toward buying the "ED"'s.

ED means that the lens uses extra-low-dispersion glass. G means the lens
has no aperture ring and is not fully AI-S backwards compatible. The two
are not related or mutually exclusive and really have nothing to do with
each other.

And some lenses are both.
Old January 25th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Sandy Bloom, Ph.D." wrote in message
Do you think the quality difference between Nikon "ED" and "G" lenses are
worth the price difference? The ED lenses are touted to be better, and
they
are certainly heavier. They seem to have more glass. I am leaning heavily
toward buying the "ED"'s.

Thanks,

Sandy

The question is really only relevant to, I think, one lens- the 70-300, of
which there are G and ED versions- the G lacks an aperture ring and ED
elements, whereas the ED has both. I've seen some awful results off of the G
lens- then again, the ED doesn't seem too stellar either. Nikon don't have
"series" lenses- the top-end 70-200mm is both ED and G and I don't think
anyone is suggesting that lens is a budget item. That said, the 85 f1.4
isn't touted as ED or G, and is a phenomenal lens.

Martin.

Old January 26th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Martin Francis" wrote in message

[...]

As you said, most people ask this question about the 70-300. I think the
ED has a better lens mount and may be built better, but neither gets rave
reviews. I think this came up here awhile back, and if I remember
correctly both lenses had the same elements in the same grouping. Nikon
makes better zoom lenses in that range, but they ain't cheap. You might
try hitting your neighborhood camera store and shooting a few shots with
both lenses to see if they meet your requirements, and to see if you can
see a difference between the two.

Old January 27th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Sheldon" wrote in message

[...]

Can anyone suggest another AF brand Nikon mount lens that would be better
quality?

Sandy

Old January 27th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Sandy Bloom, Ph.D." wrote in message

Can anyone suggest another AF brand Nikon mount lens that would be better
quality?

Sandy

The older Nikon 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF was better than the current 70/75-300
offerings.

Old January 28th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"george" wrote in message

"

The older Nikon 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF was better than the current

70/75-300
offerings.

Thanks for the tip. My research would seem to substantiate your opinion.

I was told that using the AF older Nikon lenses requires one to "shut off"?
something on the aperure ring so the DSLR can use it accurately. Use of the
AI Nikon lenses requires setting the Nikon DSLR to "M", and getting your
light reading independently.

Sandy

Old January 29th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Sandy Bloom, Ph.D. wrote:

I was told that using the AF older Nikon lenses requires one to "shut off"?
something on the aperure ring so the DSLR can use it accurately.

On a lens with an aperture ring, you set the lens to its minimum aperture
and leave it there, which allows the aperture to be set by the camera body.
Most (all?) of the autofocus lenses with aperture rings have a "lock" on
the ring to keep it in that position. On the lower-end bodies that require
the aperture to be set by the camera, you must do this in order for the
lens to work. On the D2-series (and possibly the D200?) you can use the
aperture ring itself in A or M mode if you want.

On the G lenses, with no aperture ring, which unfortunately seems to be
what Nikon is making now, this obviously doesn't matter. Those lenses
are always set at minimum aperture.

If you're curious, the reason the lenses have to be set at minimum aperture
for automatic operation is this: when you take a picture the camera has to
stop down the lens to the chosen aperture at the time of exposure. It does
this mechanically, with a lever. The lever will only stop down the aperture
to the point that the aperture ring is set, but no further, which enables
manual operation where the camera doesn't know what aperture the lens is set
for -- it can say "stop down to whatever is selected" by moving the lever
all the way. So, the only way the camera has the ability to stop down to
any aperture is if the lens is set at the minimum aperture. Then, the
camera can select any aperture according to how far it moves the lever.

The new (D2, D200) cameras can't do this with AI and AI-S lenses; with
those, you must set the aperture from the lens aperture ring. This is
because the new cameras don't differentiate at all between AI and AI-S,
and the aperture levers work differently. So you can't use P and S
modes, but then, who uses those anyway?

Use of the AI Nikon lenses requires setting the Nikon DSLR to "M", and
getting your light reading independently.

This is not necessary with the D2-series and D200; they can meter with
AI and AI-S lenses. With the others, yes, you lose the light meter due
to having no mechanical coupling and no electrical communication with
the lens -- the camera has no way of knowing what aperture the lens is
set for, or how far it's stopped down, so it can't determine exposure.
(It could use stop-down metering with DOF preview if Nikon wanted to,
but they evidently don't.)

--
Jeremy |