How to take pictures with a digital camera

Old April 9th 08, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default How to take pictures with a digital camera

ray wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:23:00 -0400, dosferatu wrote:

I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera
against your face.

I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them
away from your body. Any hints?

Yes. Don't get one. I've had three digital cameras and the wife, two. All
of them have viewfinders. I'm not going to go that route either. I could
do quite well with no back panel LCD at all.

Well, I did for years, but I am about as likely to go back to that as I
am to go back to riding a bicycle for transportation. One can take
advantage of the technology without giving up the old ways of working.
Old April 9th 08, 09:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

dosferatu wrote:
I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera
against your face.

I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold
them away from your body. Any hints?

My DSLR works in a very similar way to my film SLR, except it's a lot
lighter! I hold it just the same. Before I had the DSLR, I had cameras
with electronic viewfinders (EVFs), and held them in a similar way to my
film SLRs.

I do have a couple of LCD-only compact cameras, and I try and hold them as
steady as possible. Both have image stabilisation.

Hint: buy cameras which suit the way you want to work.

David

Old April 9th 08, 09:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:36:05 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
dosferatu wrote:

I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera
against your face.

I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold
them away from your body. Any hints?

um, you only HAVE to hold them away to use the lcd screen.

um, not so.

I can take off my glasses and damn near brace the camera on the end of
my nose and use the LCD. But, I wouldn't recommend _that_ 'special
situation' to anyone else. :-)

Same here - very convenient!

David

Old April 9th 08, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

dosferatu wrote:

I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera
against your face.

I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold
them away from your body. Any hints?

um, you only HAVE to hold them away to use the lcd screen.

um, not so.

I can take off my glasses and damn near brace the camera on the end of
my nose and use the LCD. But, I wouldn't recommend _that_ 'special
situation' to anyone else. :-)

Same here - very convenient!

Even more convenient of like me you have a nose which can used as a
spectacle focussing ramp, and can just slide them out of the way :-)

LCDs supply a lot more useful detail when you can easily see down to
the pixel level.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old April 9th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Chris Malcolm wrote:

dosferatu wrote:

I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera
against your face.

I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold
them away from your body. Any hints?

um, you only HAVE to hold them away to use the lcd screen.

um, not so.

I can take off my glasses and damn near brace the camera on the end of
my nose and use the LCD. But, I wouldn't recommend _that_ 'special
situation' to anyone else. :-)

Same here - very convenient!

Even more convenient of like me you have a nose which can used as a
spectacle focussing ramp, and can just slide them out of the way :-)

LCDs supply a lot more useful detail when you can easily see down to
the pixel level.

sadly my nose is more of an obstruction than an aid :O))

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old April 9th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin[_2_]

dosferatu wrote:
I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
your face.

I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
from your body. Any hints?

If the camera is on a neck strap, tension on the strap will
help. If your camera has image stabilization,turn it on. A
monopod is useful. In bright light, you should have no
trouble anyway.
Old April 9th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Apr 8, 1:36*pm, Paul Heslop wrote:
dosferatu wrote:

I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
your face.

I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
from your body. Any hints?

um, you only HAVE to hold them away to use the lcd screen. if there's
an optical or digital viewer try using that instead.

--
Paul *(We won't die of devotion) *
------------------------------------------------------- *

Agreed. Holding them away from your body un-steadies the shot, and is
generally just akward.

Adam
Do something good today. Protect our national fresh water supply with
just a click! - The National Water Conservatory
http://waterforever.blogspot.com/
Old April 9th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Apr 8, 3:23 pm, "dosferatu" wrote:
I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
your face.

I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
from your body. Any hints?

If you are REALLY old school, you always use a tripod.
Old April 9th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
canon.user[_2_]

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:23:00 -0400 'dosferatu'
wrote this on rec.photo.digital:

I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
your face.

I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
from your body. Any hints?

The biggest problem I encounter using a digital camera is that my
pix are not level and have to be straightened up with software on
the PC (PhotoFiltre). Old film cameras like mine (Canon EOS) were
much easier to take pix which are level and better framed.

Even if the pocket digital has a viewfinder, it might not be TTL,
so will not take a WYSIWYG picture.

Apart from that, I wouldn't go back!