I've changed my mind about AA batteries.

Old April 11th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default I've changed my mind about AA batteries.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

The issues of convenience and availability are still as important to me
as they have ever been.

I'm still waiting for a mobile phone with NiMH AAs and a maglite with a li
ion cell, but you can't have everything you want....
:-)

There are Li-Ion powered flashlights available. Very popular with police.

"http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=1"

I agree with Ron though, the main advantage of Li-Ion batteries is
convenience. Fumbling with multiple AA cells, or trying to keep them in
sets, is not something that many people want to go back to.

I did have a analog phone once that had an aftermarket battery holder
that could take AA cells, rather than the proprietary NiMH battery. It
didn't work well at all.

Now you can buy those cell phone chargers that run off of AA cells, so
you can have the advantage of the smaller, lighter, denser, Li-Ion
battery, while still being able to use AA batteries in a pinch.

To me, one hassle has been chargers. I have some AA devices, so I have
to bring a NiMH charger (or two) for them, but I also need a charger for
the phone, MP3, notebook computer, and camera.

I really like Motorola's move to the mini-USB jack for charging on their
phones. I wish some camera makers would go back to in-camera charging on
their smaller cameras, and use a USB connection. Even if it takes six
hours at night to charge a battery it'd be okay, as long as they also
had a high-current charger as an option.
Old April 12th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "SMS" ?????? ??? ??????
[...]

I have a drawer that has only my chargers... It contains:mobile charger,
NiMH AA trickle charger, camcorder charger (Li ion), camera Li ion charger,
and another one for my power tool (screwdriver, li ion).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old April 13th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:02:10 +0300, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

The issues of convenience and availability are still as important to me
as they have ever been.

I'm still waiting for a mobile phone with NiMH AAs and a maglite with a li
ion cell, but you can't have everything you want....
:-)

They won't be MagLites, but there are high quality lights that use
all of the popular rechargeable battery types. You can find them by
googling, of stopping in a store that caters to police and the hook
and ladder crews. Prices may be well above what MagLites go for,
though. Alternatively, MagLites have been available for some time
with *very* bright, voltage regulated LED modules for their AA, C
and D cell models. Alkaline batteries work well and last a
reasonably long time and NiMH cells should also do well if you
recharge them before they're exhausted. They'd be lighter if Li-Ion
powered, but wouldn't do as well when used as truncheons . . .

BTW, you can get LED modules for older MagLites, and they seem to
be widely available. The last one I got was bought in a local
Target. Haven't seen an LED Solo yet. The MagLite LED modules
aren't like the generic LED conversion kits I've seen, in that they
are designed to allow the MagLites to focus their beams. I haven't
tried a generic module or replacement bulb in a MagLite though.

Old April 13th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

[...]

I have an AA maglite which I use with NiMH rechargeables. I have still 2
incandescent bulbs to go, which probably will take a couple of years. I
haven't seen here (Greece) a LED for maglites, but still there are many
flashlights and even mains light fixtures with LEDs. My Bosch power tool has
a LED flashlight built in....
BTW, you can get LED modules for older MagLites, and they seem to
be widely available. The last one I got was bought in a local
Target. Haven't seen an LED Solo yet. The MagLite LED modules
aren't like the generic LED conversion kits I've seen, in that they
are designed to allow the MagLites to focus their beams. I haven't
tried a generic module or replacement bulb in a MagLite though.

I have bought a set of 2 replacement bulbs for my maglite, which I have in
my tool box.... Very useful. A NiMH charge lasts me for months....