Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F)

Old April 7th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Vanini

Default Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F)

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
"John Vanini" wrote:

I have a Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F) and, some time ago, marks
looking
exactly like moisture trails (I'm sure that's what they are) appeared all
over the inside of the glass.

I can't find a way of removing the glass, so that I can wipe the
underside
clean, without risking breaking the plastic casing.

It was just outside the warranty period (isn't it always!) and Canon
wanted
to charge me almost the same price as the cost of a new one.

This 'misting' affects everything I scan in but is worse for photographs
where they produce dull, flat areas, which I can't find a way of
removing.

Does anyone know of how I might get inside the scanner to clean the
glass,
please?

Regards

John

You could try turning it upside down and flushing a lot of distilled
water though it. Just don't wet the optics or, even worse, a greased
part. Once the glass is very clean you should be able to gently roll a
large bead of water across the glass so that no drops are left behind.
Use this trick as a final wash even if you do get the case open. A
paper towel's dust and residue will make a total mess of the optics.

A lot of small electronics has screws hidden under the label or under
the rubber feet. You can poke them with a needle to see if there's a
hollow space behind them.

--
Block Google's spam and enjoy Usenet again.
Reply with Google and I won't hear from you.

When I first tried to take it apart (and looking at it now) I couldn't see
any labels, rubber feet, or anything under which screws could be fitted -
but Epson had to assemble it somehow, in the first place, and their repair
team must be able to get in without breaking anything!

I've removed whatever, I can see is removable but there appears to be no way
in.

Trying to wash it out with water is a little bit frightening as there is
only a small, thin gap down one side of the plastic moulding and it would be
so easy to get water in the wrong place but thanks for your suggestion and
the information.

John

Old April 7th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Vanini

I'm sorry! So, sorry! So, very, very, sorry! I meant to say Canon not Epson!

I've also got a problem with an Epson printer and have been discussing this
all morning with the result that I typed the wrong makers name.

Sackcloth and ashes! Woe and thrice woe, I am undone!

John

Old April 7th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Ο "John Vanini" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
"Paul D Moore" wrote in message
snip

This problem is very common, particularly with Epson scanners. I've had
new scanners from Epson delivered like this. The problem is condensation
forming under the glass. It won't disappear over time, it will get

worse.
It is made worse if the scanner is left in a moist atmosphere The effect
is the same as on a bathroom window. If you leave a windowpane uncleaned
in a bathroom it will start to look exactly the same as your scanner

over
a period of time. It's the tiny particles of dust/dirt/grease etc that
stick the surface when the steam is formed and condenses on the glass.
It's the same with a scanner; particles are left on the glass. It is

very
difficult to remove without taking the scanner apart and cleaning the
glass. I doubt that using silica gel will remove it. But please do let

us
know it works.

Every Epson scanner I've owned has developed this problem over time.
Someone once suggested that with Epson its the plasticizers in the

plastic
that gass off. This may explain why Epsons seem to be particulary

affected
.Fortunately, someone posted disassembly instructions for Epson scanners
on one of the scanner newsgroups a few years ago. I suggest you actually
post to one of the scanner groups in case someone knows how to take a
Canon apart.

pdm

Thanks Paul, I understand what you're saying and will see what I can

find
out about disassembling this one. When I rang Epson, I asked if someone

in
their service department could tell me how to get the glass out without
breaking anything, but they only wanted to discuss sending it back for
repair.

Strangely enough, I posted to this group by accident so then posted the

same
question to a scanner newsgroup but got only one reply from them!

I'll have a look to see what other scanner groups there are but I've had a
lot of good ideas and suggestions from this group (for which I again,

thank
everyone) so am pleased I made the error in the first place.

Maybe you can post a link to a photo of the scanner's bottom? If there's any
chance of taking it apart, people in this newsgroup may help. There is also
the chance that it is simply weld together, or just has some very strange
screws that only the service may loose (a common practice now).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old April 7th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Allen" ?????? ??? ??????
John Vanini wrote:
[...]

I haven't read every post to this thread, so this might already have
been suggested. I would set a hair drier to its lowest temperature and
blow on the surface of the glass just long enough to raise its
temperature a few degrees. If it is indeed humidity condensation it
should disappear. If that works, perhaps you could invest in the
lowest-price hair drier you can find, leave it by the scanner, and use
it just before you scan each time. Incidentally, I have a 8400F, which I
suspect is the same case design, and I can see no easy way (other than
the "bigger hammer" approach) to get into it. I haven't had your
problem, I'm happy to say, and I live in Austin TX, which is neither
excessively humid nor excessively dry most of the time. May I ask where
you live?
Allen

That's a very good idea, and you can use a space heater with fan, too
(that's how I dried off my VCR). I had a Black&Decker scredriver for more
than 10 years, and today the cable from the charger was short circuited, and
the only way to fix it was to open the charger, and the only way to open it
was the hammer approach, since it was obviously weld together and not
screwed. So, I throwed it away, and got for 55 euros a Bosch screwdriver
with Lithium battery and cruise control....(I suggest you try the space
heater approach, before, well...)

Old April 8th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toby

Default Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F)--disassembly

Lift off the top cover--it has two posts that go into holes in the scanner
body, and you will find the screws that hold the top plate on. Remove them
and IIRC it is a simple matter to lift off the glass for cleaning.

Toby

Old April 8th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Vanini

"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" wrote in message

Maybe you can post a link to a photo of the scanner's bottom? If there's
any
chance of taking it apart, people in this newsgroup may help. There is also
the chance that it is simply weld together, or just has some very strange
screws that only the service may loose (a common practice now).

I can take a photo of the scanner but have nowhere to upload it so can't,
unforuantely, give a link.

What I never mentioned (because it's some time since I tried to get into the
unit, and simply forgot about until I turned the unti over a few moments
ago) is that there are 4 screws underneath, which hold a metal plate,
roughly 8 1/2" x 4", in place. Removing the screws, doesn't free the plate,
however. Only the one 4" wide edge can be lifted and only about 1/16" (if
that) but the other end is held securely in place for some reason that I
can't make out.

Even if I removed the plate, I couldn't get the glass out through the
aperture and it would be difficult to get my hand in. On top of that,
looking through the glass I can see a rectangular box, roughly the same size
as the plate, and in the same place, but no way of removing it. The box,
obviouly, houses something and, my guess would be a printed circuit card of
some description.

I hestiate to go too far in case, in stripping things down without some
knowledge of what I'm doing, I damage something beyond repair. That's why I
was hoping someone on the group might have had the same, or a similar,
problem and solved it.

Thanks for your reply, though.

John

Old April 8th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Vanini

"Allen" wrote in message

I haven't read every post to this thread, so this might already have been
suggested. I would set a hair drier to its lowest temperature and blow on
the surface of the glass just long enough to raise its temperature a few
degrees. If it is indeed humidity condensation it should disappear. If
that works, perhaps you could invest in the lowest-price hair drier you
can find, leave it by the scanner, and use it just before you scan each
time. Incidentally, I have a 8400F, which I suspect is the same case
design, and I can see no easy way (other than the "bigger hammer"
approach) to get into it. I haven't had your problem, I'm happy to say,
and I live in Austin TX, which is neither excessively humid nor
excessively dry most of the time. May I ask where you live?
Allen

Hi Allen,

I live in Sussex, England. on the South Coast. It's not particulary humid
but we do get condensation indoors at various times.

Another thing I forgot, and have only just remembered (sorry folks!) is that
I did put it in our airing cupbard (I don't know what you'd call it in the
States but it's where we store our sheets and blankets and such) where we
have a large hot water tank (the hot water supply to the house) and it gets
very warm and dry in the cupboard. I know this because that's where I dry
all my chillies!

Getting back to the subject, I, also, remember that it didn't even slightly
reduce the marks. I'm sorry, I didn't mention this before but I'd forgotten
until writing this post..

Apologies to all.

Regards,

John

Old April 8th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Vanini

Hello Toby,

Brilliant! I must admit, I have, accidentally, lifted that top cover off
many times in the past and never once thought to shine a light down the
holes! I've just put the cover back.

Yes, as you say there are, indeed, two screws way down at the bottom of the
holes and tomorrow (it's too late at night, right now) I'll see what I can
do.

Thanks very much, Toby. I believe that you may have the answer (sorry if I
seem doubtful but until I get that ?%@@!!? glass out.....)

Also, thanks to all - you've all be very helpful and Itried to help me -
something which I very much appreciate.

If I may, I'll let you all know if, and when, I get the glass out!

regards,

John

Old April 13th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Vanini

Hi Toby,

Been away for a break so couldn't try to dis-assemble the scanner until this
morning.

I removed the top cover and undid the two screws at the bottom of the
'wells', as you described, and nothing moved, so I turned the scanner over
and removed two more screws from the base which looked as though they might,
also, be holding the top in place but all were very short screws and, again,
nothing would move, try as I might.

The top may be just stiff because it hasn't been moved in a long time, but I
hesitate to try to prise it off with a screwdriver or a knife in case I
break the moulding.

I shall keep (gingerly!) trying, but do you have any more information,
please? I was so certain the top would either slide off or lift off and got
a shock when nothing moved, even slightly.

John