stacking with panorama tools?

Old October 26th 05, 02:22 PM
Karl P

Default stacking with panorama tools?

Hi, I've got a series of pictures of a tree, taken over the course of a
year, and I want to combine this into a video showing the passing of
the seasons.

I can happily make the video, that's fine, but what I'd like to do is
line up the images a bit better. They were all taken from roughly the
same place in the yard, but some are pointed up/down a bit more than
others.

I imagine that this is the sort of problem solved with one of the
panorama toolsets. The corner of my house, the tree trunk, and the
basketball hoop in the neighbours yards are fixed objects.

However all the panotools I've looked at seem to be set up for finding
common ground and then stitching the images. I just want to realign a
bunch of images. Same problem at the detection stage, but the output
is a bit different.

Has anyone tried this (presumably) and did they get it to work? (and if
you did, I'd love to hear about it

Cheers,
Karl P

Old October 26th 05, 02:35 PM
Cuz

Karl P wrote:
|| Hi, I've got a series of pictures of a tree, taken over the
|| course of a year, and I want to combine this into a video
|| showing the passing of the seasons.
|| I can happily make the video, that's fine, but what I'd like
|| to do is line up the images a bit better. They were all
|| taken from roughly the same place in the yard, but some are
|| pointed up/down a bit more than others.
|| I imagine that this is the sort of problem solved with one of
|| the panorama toolsets. The corner of my house, the tree
|| trunk, and the basketball hoop in the neighbours yards are
|| fixed objects.
|| However all the panotools I've looked at seem to be set up
|| for finding common ground and then stitching the images. I
|| just want to realign a bunch of images. Same problem at the
|| detection stage, but the output is a bit different.
|| Has anyone tried this (presumably) and did they get it to
|| work? (and if you did, I'd love to hear about it
|| Cheers,
|| Karl P

I have accomplished this using photo software (PSP), but it was
a manual operation. I cropped the first photo to the orientation
and size I wanted to use. I manually overlayed the pictures one
at a time sizing and cropping each.

BJ
--
"Those people who are routinely and adamantly 'moral' are
usually the first to oppress others in the name of their

Old October 26th 05, 06:04 PM
Alex

Yes, I've done a similar thing PSP9 too, where you show on stacked layers
(the photos you want to alter) one at a time, using the background as the
'perfect' template.

It's still going to be reasonable painfull getting it pixel perfect tho'.

Alex

Old October 26th 05, 06:09 PM
Hunt

In article ,
says...

Karl P wrote:
|| Hi, I've got a series of pictures of a tree, taken over the
|| course of a year, and I want to combine this into a video
|| showing the passing of the seasons.
|| I can happily make the video, that's fine, but what I'd like
|| to do is line up the images a bit better. They were all
|| taken from roughly the same place in the yard, but some are
|| pointed up/down a bit more than others.
|| I imagine that this is the sort of problem solved with one of
|| the panorama toolsets. The corner of my house, the tree
|| trunk, and the basketball hoop in the neighbours yards are
|| fixed objects.
|| However all the panotools I've looked at seem to be set up
|| for finding common ground and then stitching the images. I
|| just want to realign a bunch of images. Same problem at the
|| detection stage, but the output is a bit different.
|| Has anyone tried this (presumably) and did they get it to
|| work? (and if you did, I'd love to hear about it
|| Cheers,
|| Karl P

I have accomplished this using photo software (PSP), but it was
a manual operation. I cropped the first photo to the orientation
and size I wanted to use. I manually overlayed the pictures one
at a time sizing and cropping each.

BJ
--
"Those people who are routinely and adamantly 'moral' are
usually the first to oppress others in the name of their
'morality'..." -

Using and manipulating Layers in PS (sorry, I do not know PSP), you can get
very good alignment. Outputting the file's Layers as separate images (or by
turning off all but one Layer, at a time) to ImageReady (part of PS, but a
Web-based image program) and animating it would be easy.

Hunt

Old October 26th 05, 06:57 PM
Cuz

Hunt wrote:
|| In article ,
|| says...
||| I have accomplished this using photo software (PSP), but it
||| was
||| a manual operation. I cropped the first photo to the
||| orientation
||| and size I wanted to use. I manually overlayed the pictures
||| one
||| at a time sizing and cropping each.
||| BJ
||| --
||| "Those people who are routinely and adamantly 'moral' are
||| usually the first to oppress others in the name of their
||| 'morality'..." -
|| Using and manipulating Layers in PS (sorry, I do not know
|| PSP), you can get very good alignment. Outputting the file's
|| Layers as separate images (or by turning off all but one
|| Layer, at a time) to ImageReady (part of PS, but a Web-based
|| image program) and animating it would be easy.
|| Hunt

PSP is similar in function to PS. It can be used in the same
way.
I have made animations from a series of photos by morphing
from one to the next.

--
"A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what
he can't." -- Rhonda Hansome

Old October 28th 05, 01:34 PM
Karl P

I was actually only interested in using something like panorama
software that could automatically do it for me. Without being overly
patronizing, I'm well aware that I can stack them as layers and do it
manually. I just don't want to

I feel that it should be much like panorama tools. Take a bunch of
images, and look for the common points. Only in this case, it's going
to line up a whole heap of images on top of each other, instead of
spreading out to the side. And I want it to spit out the images
individually, not as one big stacked blob. Same technology for
detection, different output.

Old October 29th 05, 01:19 AM
Don Wiss

On 28 Oct 2005 05:34:26 -0700, Karl P wrote:

I feel that it should be much like panorama tools. Take a bunch of
images, and look for the common points. Only in this case, it's going
to line up a whole heap of images on top of each other, instead of
spreading out to the side. And I want it to spit out the images
individually, not as one big stacked blob. Same technology for
detection, different output.

And PTGui can't do this?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old October 29th 05, 10:39 PM
Alex

Karl,

I wasn't suggsting you group the layers at all, more that you show each one,
one at a time, above the template background in order to get them as good as
possible, rather than attempting to do it in a panoramic editor.

Alex

oups.com...

Old October 30th 05, 12:55 AM
Joan

The object of panorama software is to get one single image. I don't imagine
this is what you want.

--
Joan

oups.com...