Cold weather and shutter

Old December 13th 05, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Cold weather and shutter

Mike spake thus:

I've got a Compur Synchro shutter being CLAed right now. It worked fine
in warmer weather, but in cold weather, it was getting stuck.

The repair shop (it came highly recommended) is working on it, but she
says it keeps failing the "cold test". She hasn't given up yet however.

To me, it would seem that the cold simply hardens up some old lubricant.
Would cold weather make springs weaker?

Nah, your first hunch is correct: oil, like most other substances, gets
more viscous and stickier when cold. If the shop knows what they're
doing, they'll clean the shutter and remove all old lubricant, then
relube it very sparingly. (The clockwork bearings need a tiny amount of
oil to work right.)

--
God willing, the many crimes of the Bush Administration
will eventually be printed in a nice leatherbound,