[SI] Shoot-In Point of View is Visible

Old May 3rd 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_3_]

Default [SI] Shoot-In Point of View is Visible

That Rich wrote:

Thanks to Wilba and Doug for their comments.

No worries. Have a go yourself! :-)

Old May 3rd 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_3_]

Default Shoot-In Point of View is Visible

Helen wrote:

I am so pleased and happy with the turn-out. Some great technical
excellence and creative work. Thanks for the great comments Bret,
Troy and Wilba on my entry. I am truly humbled.

You're very welcome. Your contributions are always remarkable and very
expressive of humanity. Keep doing it! :-)

Old May 3rd 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tully Albrecht

On 2008-05-02 06:54:21 -0700, "jimkramer"
said:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pov

Tully (mine)
I chose to ignore all text and only comment on my impressions of the
images. Had I included narrative with this submission, I would have
said that Lucy is "harmonizing" with the stereo. Her contribution is
only musical from her point of view.

Alienjones
From the mermaid's POV, life gets interesting only when the ship is in
motion. For me, the subdued colors, flat lighting create a quiescent
mood.

Bowser
Motion blur might have been a cliche here. Nice to see a sense of
motion conveyed by focal length & framing instead.

Tom Gabriel
Although I might wish for something interesting to be happening at the
bus stop, maybe the mundane scene is the point. The mind wants to make
up a story: is the person inside for a reason?

Ken Nadvornick
There was a time when this would have been seen as the "real" America.
Now it's a typical day in Flyover Country, and those who think the
"real" America centers around NY and LA will find this kind of living
irrelevant and unappealing to them. To me, it speaks of integrity,
dignity and truth.

Wilba
Never has a white T-shirt been depicted with greater fidelity. A good
self-portrait, but what's with that expression? The Mona Lisa was
enigmatic, but this is a poker face for the ages.

Paul Furman
Not an easy medium to shoot through (two layers of thick plexiglass).
To think some of us wonder if we're losing quality by leaving a UV
filter on the lens.

Rich Pos
This one has an early Kodachrome look to it. Cheers!

Doug Jewell
The graffiti artists are definitely expressing...something. I like the
composition.

Walter Banks
I don't know about this. It seems as though it wants to say something
about a dramatic vista, but it just looks kind of ordinary.

Jim Kramer
If I believed in the Evil Eye, I'd be very worried by this critter.

Helen Silverberg
More than journalism...lyrical, poetic. Wins hands down (NPI) for
emotional content.

Bret Douglas
A visual puzzle? It held my interest for a long time, because I was
trying to figure out what it is. Looks like a three-panel mirror, but
reflecting what? Shelves full of video tapes?

--
"Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know."

Old May 3rd 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Atheist Chaplain wrote:
"jimkramer" wrote in message
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pov

Some nice photos there, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to put my
entry in on time, My Dad was in Sydney having some major surgery to
his Kidneys. so I was sort of distracted. I will have to think about
something to do with the Tie-In :-)

I suppose I should show you what I had started (remember that it was
taken with a P&S HP Photsmart 607 so its not going to be anywhere near
the quality of others here)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27036395@N00/2461648022/

Nothing wrong with that - you don't need to have the latest
and greatest to submit to SI - looking at this round, there
are p&s's, film cameras, entry level DSLR's through to high
end DSLR's. I would have to say that this round
particularly, there doesn't seem to be any correlation
between the quality of the camera and the quality of the
submission.
Old May 3rd 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

That Rich wrote:
On Sat, 3 May 2008 23:57:16 +0800, "Wilba"
wrote:

That Rich wrote:
Thanks to Wilba and Doug for their comments.

No worries. Have a go yourself! :-)

Much as I'd like I really can't... really... I don't know the first
thing about photography. I only take photos to see how things look
when photographed.

I don't think you need to know about photography to comment.
If you can look at an image and go "that looks ok" or go
"hmmm i think that would be better if..." then you are more
than capable of reviewing the SI. In fact the opinions of a
non-photographer type are probably more valuable. It's easy
to get caught up in rules like thirds, balance, etc, and
forget that the objective is to make a nice picture.
Generally a nice picture abides by composition rules, but
not always.
Please give it a go

RP©

Old May 3rd 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Doug Jewell wrote:

Paul Furman http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458909
Lucky you if that's your POV. Well done at getting an acceptable shot
out of the plane window - every american aircraft I've seen had such a
thick layer of crud on the windows you'd have a hard time telling the
difference between the rocky mountains and the nevada desert.

Thanks for commenting. My trick is to use a very fast lens wide open so
the crud in the foreground goes out of focus and a 1/5000 sec pretty
much eliminates the need for a tripod too :-) I got lucky on the flight
back and rode a new plane with clean windows (freshly washed by the
de-icing spray in Denver) so I was able to shoot at f/11 1/200 second.
Unfortunately I was seated behind the wing so the jets made a soft
streak near the middle of most shots but still not bad:
http://edgehill.net/Southwest/5-1-08-flight/pg4pc23
http://edgehill.net/Southwest/4-25-08-flight/pg1pc2
Old May 3rd 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Helen wrote:

On May 2, 9:54 am, "jimkramer"
wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pov

Walter Banks: I think Doug said it right when he suggested some sort
of foreground to suggest point of view. A potentially great landscape
shot, just a tad soft.

I would agree. As a small aside. I am amazed at the amount of erosion that

has happened on the cliffs since I last last took pictures there.

BTW Helen, nice entry. It is hard to capture emotion like you do.

Many Thanks for the comments.

Walter

Old May 4th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Could someone reply with Helen's full post please? I've got googlegroups
blocked and there's a few posters I do miss, including Draco. I never
used such a broad bludgeon of a filter before but the reduction in spam
is worth it in this case.

Walter Banks wrote:

Old May 4th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

jimkramer wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pov

Fisheye dog
Tully http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458896
Caption: "alright, am I looking thoughtful? go ahead & snap now"

Mermaid on boat
AlienJones http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458898
I like the different perspective prompted by something curious. Agreed
the background gets busy but that didn't ruin it for me.

Fisheye motorcyclist
Bowser http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458900
The fisheye works well here.

Bus-stop window
Tom Gabriel http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458902
Gotta love city living. I would have liked a more interesting
(twilight?) timing since this is the routine view.

God bless America, The Ramos
Ken Nadvornick http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458905
This must be Reagan era with the blue all faded :-) At first I'm
thinking this is a Latino family but maybe Jed Ramo, not Juan Ramos :-)

Guy from above
Wilba http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458907
Nice pose and POV but the background could have been improved.

Aerial mountains & desert
Paul Furman http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458909
(me) I got some better (150 shots) on the flight back but I just love
looking out airplane windows so I'm glad I got this submitted anyways.

Bartender
Rich Pos http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458911
Next time I want to see the view *through* the martini glass :-)

Doug Jewell http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458913
I'm surprised I seem to be the only one who interpreted POV to mean "opinion" rather than "vision".

I appreciate your thinking. One the great powers of photography is to
bring us into intimate contact with the unfamiliar.

Cliffs side-view
Walter Banks http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458915
Stumped by the mandate... but I love the scene.

Cat stare-down
Jim Kramer http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458918
Very nice Jim. He would kick that dog's behind in an instant (or at
least believes he could :-)

Helen Silverburg http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96459156
You have a gift for this kind of shot Helen.

Bret Douglas http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96459451
uhm... yeah... what is it?...
Escalator! (took me a while and was pleasantly perplexing).
Old May 4th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Nadvornick

"Annika1980" wrote:

We know we can always count on you for technical
excellence and a display of mastery of your craft.

Yoda said you either "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Had to pee.

And you also do realize, of course, that it *is* possible to develop film
using...

Ken