[SI] Shoot-In: "Weather" has arrived.

Old June 26th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default [SI] Shoot-In: "Weather" has arrived.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weather , where else?

Commentary, as always, encouraged. Be sure to check out the current
challenge as well, just two weeks to get your submissions in. Winners will
be notified by Psychic Friends Network.

Cheers!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old June 26th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message
.7...

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weather , where else?

Commentary, as always, encouraged. Be sure to check out the current
challenge as well, just two weeks to get your submissions in. Winners will
be notified by Psychic Friends Network.

Shouldn't they be able to tell us who the winners will be now?

Cheers!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net

Old June 28th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Kinon O'cann" Yes.it's.me.Bowser wrote in
:

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message
.7...

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weather , where else?

Commentary, as always, encouraged. Be sure to check out the
current
challenge as well, just two weeks to get your submissions in. Winners
will be notified by Psychic Friends Network.

Shouldn't they be able to tell us who the winners will be now?

No, that would be using their powers for ill-gotten gains. Gaea takes
away their powers if they do that. They're only allowed to charge $19.95
per minute to let you know your luck will turn around, and that you have a
relative whose name begins with "J".

I always wanted that confirmed.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old June 28th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Shoot-In: "Weather" has arrived.

Al Denelsbeck wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weather , where else?

Commentary, as always, encouraged. Be sure to check out the current
challenge as well, just two weeks to get your submissions in. Winners will
be notified by Psychic Friends Network.

Hrumph. There I was thinking you were asking for submissions.. Nobody
could accuse me of careful reading.

Damn.... what's the late fine? (O: Oh well, now I probably should
write one of those expected lame 'reviews' as punishment.. OK, here ya
go....

Dave Sibbett
'Nice' light. 'Nice' scene, but a bit unbalanced and lacking that
'something'.. I'd rather not discuss the FLARE, spelt F L A R E *and*
in capitals... (O;

Jim Kramer
A bit ordinary - sorry, Jim. I guess the wind in the sailboard-sail
and the mist suggests weather, but it's a long draw and there are just
too many elements... And it all seems to be leaning a bit, in various
directions..

Walter Banks
Odd. Can't quite work out whether I like it, and I haven't seen the
sun do that pyramid trick before..! Again, 'something' is missing,
it's unsharp, and the weather theme is a bit unplayed.

Bowser
Cool! I like the semi frozen rain, and most of the location is good -
but the pretty and colourful garden seems a bit out of place, and the
cropping at left leaves me colder than that day...

Bret Douglas
Very nice. But I can't help wondering what is over to the left (some
nicely sparkly water??), and that an even *more* panoramic view, and a
tiny bit more contrast, would have improved it.

Ken Nadvornick
Love the sky and mountains, but the blocked foreground just doesn't do
it for me.

Al Denelsbeck
Same as for Ken! Great sky, but don't like the foreground - wasn't
there something better you could have put in front of it? (O:

Duncan Chesley
Deja Three! Once again, groovy sky, crappy foreground...

Now I shall go hide.. (O:

Old June 28th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message
.8...
"Kinon O'cann" Yes.it's.me.Bowser wrote in
:

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message
.7...

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weather , where else?

Commentary, as always, encouraged. Be sure to check out the
current
challenge as well, just two weeks to get your submissions in. Winners
will be notified by Psychic Friends Network.

Shouldn't they be able to tell us who the winners will be now?

No, that would be using their powers for ill-gotten gains. Gaea takes
away their powers if they do that. They're only allowed to charge $19.95
per minute to let you know your luck will turn around, and that you have a
relative whose name begins with "J".

Got a whole family of them that all have first names that begin with the
letter "J." Jimmy, Jackie, Judy, Jeannie, and Joey. How did they know?

As far as luck goes, I hope they're wrong. My luck hasn't been too bad
lately.

Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net

Old June 28th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Shoot-In: "Weather" has arrived. Response

wrote:

Walter Banks
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/62475335
Odd. Can't quite work out whether I like it, and I haven't seen the
sun do that pyramid trick before..! Again, 'something' is missing,
it's unsharp, and the weather theme is a bit unplayed.

Now I shall go hide.. (O:

Thanks for the comments. This is the picture that triggered the weather theme idea it is also one of the reasons why almost always carrying a camera is a good idea.

It was a very cold morning. I was driving and first saw the bright red column just before sunrise in someways more spectacular than this image. This was the first opportunity to find a place where I could see the event un-obscured by roadside bluffs of
trees. . The top edge of the sun at this point is just above the horizon well below the top of the shelter belt. The red pyramid is all reflections off the ice crystals in the air and the image reflects accurately what I was seeing. The apparent
brightness of the column faded as the sun came up. The whole event lasted about 10 minutes.

The technical comments are well taken. The photo used a Canon S110 2Mpixel camera and there isn't a lot of image to play with. Lightening the image reveals foreground detail that detracts from the first light theme of the image. A vertical image crop
looked artificial, in the end except for resizing this is the original image.

Like the comment from the UK last two weeks have had no notable weather. The predicted violent evening thunderstorm translated into a gentle shower, sunshiny days.

Thanks for taking the time to put your reviewers neck on the line

w..

Old June 28th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Thanks for the reviews Mark, I generally agree with you excepting that
my favorite is the last one, Duncan Chesley's 'Weather(ed)' I think it's
a great shot and I appreciated the clever title and concept with the
foreground/background thing.

I dogged out & forgot about this round so I'll just toss in a recent
3-shot sunset series which was not done with this mandate in mind:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/neighborhoods/2006-06-09-sunset

wrote:

Al Denelsbeck wrote:

[...]

Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Bay Natives
http://www.baynatives.com
Old June 28th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:55:30 GMT, Paul Furman
wrote:

I think it's
a great shot and I appreciated the clever title and concept with the
foreground/background thing.

Thank you, Paul, for the nice compliment!

Cheers,
DuncanC

Old June 29th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in message
oups.com...
Al Denelsbeck wrote:
[...]

Thank yee for the comments a criticisms, all duly noted!

Dave Sibbett