41 megapixel camera phone?

Old February 28th 12, 05:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

Default 41 megapixel camera phone?

In article
,
RichA wrote:

Hold that phone steady!!

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokia-unv...eview-phone/23
4253-11.html

The whitepaper says it's 41M low-quality pixels that are normally
downsampled to 5M high quality (for a phone) pixels. The phone's
digital zoom feature reduces that downsampling so that the image doesn't
degrade as much digital zoom that upsamples.

The BS is that Nokia provides 41M pix sample images that are very
clearly upsampled by at least 3x3. My guess is that marketing demanded
restoration of the 41M pixels even if it means upsampling the 5M pixels.
Old February 28th 12, 07:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Kevin McMurtrie
says...
The BS is that Nokia provides 41M pix sample images that are very
clearly upsampled by at least 3x3.

Upsampling from 41 to 5MP? What do you mean?
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 29th 12, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Kevin McMurtrie
says...
The BS is that Nokia provides 41M pix sample images that are very
clearly upsampled by at least 3x3.

Upsampling from 41 to 5MP? What do you mean?

Their sample images (press release images) are clearly upsampled to 41M
pixels from a much smaller source. Check out the size of the hot pixel
defects - they're huge.
Old February 29th 12, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Kevin McMurtrie
says...
The BS is that Nokia provides 41M pix sample images that are very
clearly upsampled by at least 3x3.

Upsampling from 41 to 5MP? What do you mean?

Their sample images (press release images) are clearly upsampled to 41M
pixels from a much smaller source. Check out the size of the hot pixel
defects - they're huge.

Perhaps they are using the original 41MP output of the sensor.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 1st 12, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Kevin McMurtrie
says...
The BS is that Nokia provides 41M pix sample images that are very
clearly upsampled by at least 3x3.

Upsampling from 41 to 5MP? What do you mean?

Their sample images (press release images) are clearly upsampled to 41M
pixels from a much smaller source. Check out the size of the hot pixel
defects - they're huge.

Perhaps they are using the original 41MP output of the sensor.

Did you check the images?