negatives into slides processing

Old January 21st 04, 02:47 PM
Philippe

Default negatives into slides processing

I seem to remember that some labs can print negatives and also make a set of
slides from the same negs.
Who is that? What is the quality?

Thank you

--
Philippe

Old January 21st 04, 08:36 PM
Bill Tuthill

Richard Salomon wrote:

I seem to remember that some labs can print negatives and also make a set
of slides from the same negs. Who is that? What is the quality?

Dale Labs does it. I know nothing about the quality. You can find them
at http://www.dalelabs.com/

Here is an visual study of Dale Labs results, with 3 images: negative scan,
slide-from-neg scan, and similar-scene slide scan.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=127698

I find quality is more than acceptable (even surprising) given the price.

Old January 22nd 04, 12:14 AM
Henry Bibb

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
Richard Salomon wrote:

I seem to remember that some labs can print negatives and also make a

set
of slides from the same negs. Who is that? What is the quality?

Dale Labs does it. I know nothing about the quality. You can find them
at http://www.dalelabs.com/

Here is an visual study of Dale Labs results, with 3 images: negative

scan,
slide-from-neg scan, and similar-scene slide scan.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=127698

I find quality is more than acceptable (even surprising) given the price.

Bill,

How do the images hold up? I've got some stuff done by another lab,
several years
ago - when I looked at them recently, they'd faded away to almost nothing.
Been in
dark storage most of that time - moderate, but not especially controlled
temp &
humidity. I'd noticed the fading years ago, which caused me to stop using
the stuff.
Maybe the emulsions are better now, or the Dale processing is superior.

What's been your experience?

Henry Bibb

Old January 22nd 04, 05:19 PM
Bill Tuthill

Henry Bibb wrote:

http://www.dalelabs.com/

How do the images hold up? I've got some stuff done by another
lab, several years ago - when I looked at them recently, they'd
faded away to almost nothing. Been in dark storage most of that
time - moderate, but not especially controlled temp & humidity.
I'd noticed the fading years ago, which caused me to stop using
the stuff. Maybe the emulsions are better now, or the Dale
processing is superior. What's been your experience?

Dale uses a Kodak movie-film stock, so I'm sure it lasts a while.
Movie film degrades, but mostly from projection and mishandling.
It's probably not as archival as Kodachrome in dark storage, but
should have reasonable longevity.

Ted Marcus at http://tedsimages.com has been getting Dale Labs
slides-from-negs for many years, and has not complained to me
about fading. He has some comments and caveats about it he

http://www.tedsimages.com/text/comment5.htm#superia

Old January 22nd 04, 05:31 PM
Scott Norwood

In article ,
Bill Tuthill wrote:

Dale uses a Kodak movie-film stock, so I'm sure it lasts a while.
Movie film degrades, but mostly from projection and mishandling.
It's probably not as archival as Kodachrome in dark storage, but
should have reasonable longevity.

Which stock is it? If it's 2383 or 2393, it's standard LPP (lowfade
positive print) stock which has been available (in various forms)
since 1982. The earliest prints from 1982 have not shown signs of
fading at this time. Stocks beginning with a "2" are 35mm on ESTAR
(polyester) base, which does not shrink over time like acetate base
stock does.
Old January 23rd 04, 05:46 PM
Bill Tuthill

Scott Norwood wrote:

Dale uses a Kodak movie-film stock, so I'm sure it lasts a while.
Movie film degrades, but mostly from projection and mishandling.
It's probably not as archival as Kodachrome in dark storage, but
should have reasonable longevity.

Which stock is it? If it's 2383 or 2393, it's standard LPP (lowfade
positive print) stock which has been available (in various forms)
since 1982. The earliest prints from 1982 have not shown signs of
fading at this time. Stocks beginning with a "2" are 35mm on ESTAR
(polyester) base, which does not shrink over time like acetate base
stock does.

According to what I was told at the time, the Escalante Coyote Arch
slide-from-neg was scanned from Kodak Vision Color 2382. Sorry, I put
the wrong film type on my photo.net scan page.

Old January 24th 04, 09:04 PM
Mr 645

Dale uses a Kodak movie-film stock, so I'm sure it lasts a while.
Movie film degrades, but mostly from projection and mishandling.
It's probably not as archival as Kodachrome in dark storage, but
should have reasonable longevity.

Actually they use a film called Vericolor Slide film. It's a clear based C-41
color neg film, then when exposed from a color negative, yields a positive
http://www.jonlayephotography.com
Old January 27th 04, 04:46 PM
Bill Tuthill

Mr 645 wrote:

Dale uses a Kodak movie-film stock...

Actually they use a film called Vericolor Slide film. It's a clear based C-41
color neg film, then when exposed from a color negative, yields a positive

If this is Vericolor Slide 5072, that's not a good sign for longevity.
The Wilhelm test results say:

"Kodak Vericolor Slide Film 5072 has relatively poor dark fading stability."

[ http://www.fotoinfo.com/info/technic...stability.html ]