Metz Flash Information

Old December 25th 05, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,alt.photography

Default Metz Flash Information

I use both those flash guns regularly - I have never had the need to use
mains power with them, a fully charged high capacity NiMH set of AA cells
provide upwards of 200 full powered flashes on the CT45 and about 150 on the
CT60.

As for their use with digital cameras, well I have used both with Fuji
Finepix S1Pro, Fuji Finepix S1Pro, Fuji Finepix 6900, Nikon D70, Nikon D70s
and the new Nikon D50. So far the cameras I used them on seem to have
suffered no ill effects.

"prc1" wrote in message
I have inherited several older Metz flashes and accessories-- the
flashes are the 45CT-4 and the 60CT-2. I managed to get instruction
manuals for the flashes, but do not have all the necessary accessories
to fully test them. Here's where I need some help...

I want to power these units off of 120VAC, not battery. I know that
"mains" power adapters were available for them and a fairly stiff
price. Does anyone have info on making your own mains adapter(s)?

Are repair schematics available?

Finally, I know that many older flashes are unusable with newer
digital cameras without something like a "SafeSync." Are there any
sort of electronic adapters available for these flashes that will
allow integration with a newer Canon EOS 20D?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give, and please pardon the
crosspost as I'm not certain which group is best for this...
** To respond, remove the crap from my addy... **

Old December 25th 05, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,alt.photography

Nigel--

Thanks for the response. I was finally able to successfully test the
45's this afternoon as a friend came up with the necessary battery
holders for mounting in the handles. I'd still like to power those
off of a mains supply for studio use...and since he found a couple of
adapters that fit a Quantum battery and plug into the battery holder
hole in the handle I think I'll be set.

However, I've no such luck on the 60's The only power input for those
handles are the odd three-conductor cords that plug into the external
batt box/chargers. I believe the dryfit batteries that go into those
are toast, as my attempts to charge them have been unsuccessful.
I don't want to invest in expensive batteries at this point until I
verify the flashes work...and would rather use them off the mains
anyway. Do you have any idea about how much voltage is provided to
the 60 through those cables...and what the polarity might be?

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:19:45 GMT, "Nigel Cummings"
wrote:

I use both those flash guns regularly - I have never had the need to use
mains power with them, a fully charged high capacity NiMH set of AA cells
provide upwards of 200 full powered flashes on the CT45 and about 150 on the
CT60.

As for their use with digital cameras, well I have used both with Fuji
Finepix S1Pro, Fuji Finepix S1Pro, Fuji Finepix 6900, Nikon D70, Nikon D70s
and the new Nikon D50. So far the cameras I used them on seem to have
suffered no ill effects.

.. .

Old December 26th 05, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,alt.photography

wrote:

I use both those flash guns regularly - I have never had the need to use
mains power with them, a fully charged high capacity NiMH set of AA cells
provide upwards of 200 full powered flashes on the CT45 and about 150 on the
CT60.

As for their use with digital cameras, well I have used both with Fuji
Finepix S1Pro, Fuji Finepix S1Pro, Fuji Finepix 6900, Nikon D70, Nikon D70s
and the new Nikon D50. So far the cameras I used them on seem to have
suffered no ill effects.

"prc1" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Did you ask Metz in Germany for info? If you're in the USA, did you ask
Bogen, who imports Metz?

Morton
Old December 26th 05, 11:46 AM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,alt.photography

In article ,
prc1 wrote:
However, I've no such luck on the 60's The only power input for those
handles are the odd three-conductor cords that plug into the external
batt box/chargers. I believe the dryfit batteries that go into those
are toast, as my attempts to charge them have been unsuccessful.
I don't want to invest in expensive batteries at this point until I
verify the flashes work...and would rather use them off the mains
anyway. Do you have any idea about how much voltage is provided to
the 60 through those cables...and what the polarity might be?

The dryfit batteries in the 60 series are 6V. So, if you connect a 6V lab
power supply to the battery terminals, you should be able to charge the
capacitor and verify that the whole thing works.

Old December 26th 05, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,alt.photography

Philip Homburg wrote:

In article ,
prc1 wrote:

However, I've no such luck on the 60's The only power input for those
handles are the odd three-conductor cords that plug into the external
batt box/chargers. I believe the dryfit batteries that go into those
are toast, as my attempts to charge them have been unsuccessful.
I don't want to invest in expensive batteries at this point until I
verify the flashes work...and would rather use them off the mains
anyway. Do you have any idea about how much voltage is provided to
the 60 through those cables...and what the polarity might be?

The dryfit batteries in the 60 series are 6V. So, if you connect a 6V lab
power supply to the battery terminals, you should be able to charge the
capacitor and verify that the whole thing works.

Also, if the batteries aren't available there is another option.
I can't remember the website I saw it on, but it looked like a viable idea.
The crafty person made fake batteries out of wooden dowel with brass
contacts (maybe chromed srews?) to make contact with the battery
contacts in the compartment that are connected to a power supply outside
the flashgun.
I think they had to make a notch in the battery compartment cover in
order to run a power cable from the fake batteries out to a power supply
(which could be more easily bought batteries or a plugpack/wall wart).
Old December 26th 05, 03:19 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,alt.photography

dj_nme wrote:

Philip Homburg wrote:

In article ,
prc1 wrote:

[...]

I found a good example he
http://www.texasphotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5556
Old December 26th 05, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,alt.photography

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:03:09 +1100, dj_nme wrote:

Philip Homburg wrote:

In article ,
prc1 wrote:

[...]

Yes, that would work for some flashes. Not the 60, however. There
are no capabilities for a built-in battery pack; the external battery
pack/charger holds the battery. Rigging an external adaptor in this
situation would be...kind of silly. I do have a couple of Vivitar
flashes that could benefit, though...
** To respond, remove the crap from my addy... **
Old December 26th 05, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,alt.photography

"prc1" wrote in message

[...]

Metz Germany gave me a little info but referred me to Bogen US.
Bogen sent a couple of instruction sheets that were hard -to-read
(multiple generation photocopies) and didn't answer my questions about
compatibility other than being able to use the flash in A and M modes,
not E-TTL. I'm wondering also if I can hook up the remote sensors to
the hotshoe (are they compatible?) and trigger the flash from there.
** To respond, remove the crap from my addy... **
Old December 27th 05, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,alt.photography

Just remove the 2 screws to take apart the Dryfit battery pack. The
CT60's dryfit battery pack is made up of 5 C sized NiCad cells
soldered serially into a 6V battery. You can get relatively cheap
NiMH cells to replace the NiCad cells.

Old December 27th 05, 11:27 AM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc,alt.photography

In article ,
Joe Blow wrote:
Just remove the 2 screws to take apart the Dryfit battery pack. The
CT60's dryfit battery pack is made up of 5 C sized NiCad cells
soldered serially into a 6V battery. You can get relatively cheap
NiMH cells to replace the NiCad cells.

You are talking about the NiCd pack. The dryfit pack is sealed.