Canon 630 will not fire flash

Old December 3rd 05, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Canon 630 will not fire flash

My trusty 630 will not trip the speedlite 430ez. I know the flash
works, it prefires for bounce flash, and fires when manually triggered
(shorting center pin to shoe-ground). My 630 had a gummy shutter
problem and I cleaned up the gunk as suggested around the net. Any
connection between the shutter problem and the flash problem?

Besides cleaning the blades, is there anywhere else you have to clean?
How? I notice if I shoot a long exposure, I can open the back and the
shutter will be up. I could use the remote and lock it open. Is there

anything where the shutter lands that has to be cleaned for the flash
to work?

Any thoughts on the the cost of repair and is it worth it? Probably
not worth it :-(

Bill

Old December 5th 05, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

In article . com,
says...

wrote:
My trusty 630 will not trip the speedlite 430ez. I know the flash
works, it prefires for bounce flash, and fires when manually triggered
(shorting center pin to shoe-ground). My 630 had a gummy shutter
problem and I cleaned up the gunk as suggested around the net. Any
connection between the shutter problem and the flash problem?

I found and answer - Yes they are related.

Something told me flash is related to shutter fire, so I went further
cleaning of the gunk. Dip a strip of paper in alchol, and slide it
around in the slot below the shutter. Repeat until it comes out clean.

When the alcohol dried up, the flash fired.

To get the shutter to stap open, set the camera on B, fire, then open
the back. The remote cable is handy for this, you can lock it open.

Besides cleaning the blades, is there anywhere else you have to clean?
How? I notice if I shoot a long exposure, I can open the back and the
shutter will be up. I could use the remote and lock it open. Is there
anything where the shutter lands that has to be cleaned for the flash
to work?

That's good information. I would also suggest that you think about having
the seals on the shutter replaced. Around 80 bucks in the US. This sounds
like the common EOS shutter lube leak problem and will plague you again
until the seals are replace.