Problem saving screen profile file.

Old August 25th 15, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Problem saving screen profile file.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:59:05 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 23:21:41 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 17:00:04 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 15:18:07 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 08:23:23 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:34:26 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't think this is Datacolor's fault.

it doesn't matter whose fault it is.

if there's an actual problem with the app (and not just your system),
then it will get fixed, most likely by datacolor since microsoft isn't
likely to change anything.

if it only happens on your system, then there's nothing for either
company to fix.

See http://tinyurl.com/nsrqlaa

Since the one you cite is from 2012, and there has been no increase in
the reports of this problem, I'm starting to think, too, that it's
your computer. Have you tried mainboard driver updates, and a bios
update? Did you run the Spyder install program as an administrator?
Did you check the permissions for the folder that the software is
trying to save to?

Dell maintains a program of driver updates so, initially, I thought I
was OK there. But now I have discovered the Dell diagnostic and update
software doesn't work and I wonder if the Evil Empire is to blame.

In any case I have gone back to Windows 7 for the time being.

The interesting thing is that Microsoft says my machine is OK for
Windows 10 but Dell says it haas never been checked for suitability d
that some drivers will need updating.

I put 10 on a laptop that wasn't supported for even Win8, and
everything works. I also had put 8.1 on an unsupported computer, and
everything was fine. I'd ignore Dell's comments, and just use 10, and
update everything you can update.

I'm intrigued by the fact that while I can download and install
Windows 10 immediately, Microsoft talks about days or weeks. Maybe
they are gatheering together a package of suitable updates for me
before they give me Windows 10? Who knows? Certainly not me.

I believe it's all the same. What you downloaded is what MS would send
to you in time. In fact, now that it's installed, MS might never
notify you.

You should be able to go to Dell's website and get any available
updates manually.

Funny thing, too, I updated 2 of 3 computers to 10, but the last one
is the first one I put on the "notify me" list, and it's not ready
yet. I'm too lazy to download the file myself.

I've got one more thing I'm going to laboriously apply and after that
I'm going back to 10 irrespective of whether the problem is fixed or
not.

All this stuff got me worried, so I did a Spyder 4 calibration, and
everything worked fine. It's something with your computer. Well yours,
and that one other guy.
Old August 25th 15, 07:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

Dell maintains a program of driver updates so, initially, I thought I
was OK there. But now I have discovered the Dell diagnostic and update
software doesn't work and I wonder if the Evil Empire is to blame.

I forgive Bill Gates. I don't think it's him. Whatever has happened
turned off file scanning in McAfee and refused to let me turn it back
on. I had to completely uninstall and then reinstall before McAfee
would work properly again.

Instead of relying on Dell I have got stuck in with Driver Detective.
While that found a few out of date drivers, updating them has made no
difference to my basic problem.

I'm going to bring up folder permissions again. If you Google this,
there will be examples of what the folder with your calibration file
should look like. If something went awry with a group policy, or
possibly just some folders, that might cause this. You have to drill
pretty far down into the permissions windows to check everything.

And I would still check for at least a bios update on the Dell site,
even if you don't want to check for all mainboard drivers.
Old August 25th 15, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:34:26 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I agree - but what the hell is it?

Eric Stevens
Old August 25th 15, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Sorry: I should have mentioned this earlier. I went through all this
at the very beginning, to the point where I created new users with the
ability to get at everything.

And I would still check for at least a bios update on the Dell site,
even if you don't want to check for all mainboard drivers.

Tomorrow.

Eric Stevens
Old August 25th 15, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

That might not be enough. The folder permissions should look like
this: http://i.imgur.com/cI8a6OY.jpg

Go to the folder that holds the .icm file, right click it, and choose
properties. Then to go the security tab, and click "advanced" towards
the lower right. Your list should look the same, except I'm not sure
if Win7 lists "all application packages" as a user. You can double
click any entry to see more details, including more advanced settings,
and effective permissions.

Old August 26th 15, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Yep. Got there at a very early stage. Did that.

Go to the folder that holds the .icm file, right click it, and choose
properties. Then to go the security tab, and click "advanced" towards
the lower right. Your list should look the same, except I'm not sure
if Win7 lists "all application packages" as a user. You can double
click any entry to see more details, including more advanced settings,
and effective permissions.

And I would still check for at least a bios update on the Dell site,
even if you don't want to check for all mainboard drivers.

Tomorrow.

Done.

The problem remains. :-(

Eric Stevens
Old August 26th 15, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

Okay, I think I've become as obsessed with this as you have. I don't
know if you've already tried this, but if not, go to the file location
for the executable, or the shortcut, but not the shortcut in the
taskbar (the one that looks like the Spyder), right click it, and
choose "run as administrator", and try another calibration.

If you ever get this fixed, you need to tell everyone what it was. And
you are NOT allowed to reinstall Windows...
Old August 27th 15, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

You have almost hit the nail on the head. When I first set up my
account on this computer I gave myself adnistrator powers. For that
reason I never saw any point in selecting 'Run as Administrator'.
After all, I already was one.

Having had only brief and reluctant contact with Vista I did not
realise that from that point, as far as MS is concerned, there are
administrators, Administrators and ADMINISTRATORS. In order to run
Spyder I had promote myself from administrator to Administrator by
clicking the 'Run as Administrator' option.

Thanks to you, I have now found that 'Run as Administrator' enables me
to save profiles even when working from the shortcut link.

I must say that I remain puzzled. For nearly five years I have
successfuly started Spyder 4 from the shortcut without invoking 'Run
as Administrator' and then, all of a sudden, I have to take that extra
step. I'm not aware that Spyder 4 had changed and in any case I have
not downloaded a newer version as far as I am aware. I still come back
to one of my earliest suspicions: the Evil Empire has changed
something.

My simple misunderstanding of the various grades of administrator have
lead me through awful strife. Here is a summary:

I have tried:

* Right-clicked to select "Run as Administrator". (I have never
invoked the hidden elevated administrator.)
* changing the name of the profile
* creating a new user id with administrator powers
* closing down my antivirus software.
* changing file permissions
* deleting old versions of Spyder
* making a clean install of Spyder 5 Pro
* closing all startup items except my screen's Catalyst control
center (which has not been updated for years).
* shutting down all non-Microsoft services.
* updated all drivers (Driver Detective)
* updated BIOS
* deleting all software installed between 8 May and 16 June 2015
(except MS updates).

None of it made any difference.

I have since installed Windows 10 and while I could not save a profile
I was intrigued to note that the error message from DataColor now is

"SaveProfileUsingICM.InstallColorProfile failed
[C:\Windows\System32\Spool\\drivers\color\D U2410-1.ICM "

This is a different error but I still couldn't save a profile.

But thanks to you, now I can. And I have nice shiny new software to
show for it.

Eric Stevens
Old August 27th 15, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

Whew. Well, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one, or the first one,
to bring up the permissions thing, but I don't think the others became
as stupidly obsessed with the matter...

Anyway, if you ever decide to clean up the user accounts/permissions
thing, there's a lot of info on the web, including using the command
line to invoke the super-special-double-secret-administrator account.
Also, as a workaround, you can try this: create a shortcut to the
executable, right click and choose properties, go to the "shortcut"
tab on top, then click on "Advanced", and click the "run as
administrator" box. If that works, it'll save you a couple of steps
each time.

And regarding MS, I do believe their permission issue is a convoluted
mess, but I'm not an IT guy, so what do I know? So I think it might
have been a combination of something else, along with one of their
updates that caused this.

And if you're a nice guy, you can tell Datacolor what you found.
Old August 27th 15, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 21:43:07 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

--- snip ---

I have since installed Windows 10 and while I could not save a profile
I was intrigued to note that the error message from DataColor now is

"SaveProfileUsingICM.InstallColorProfile failed
[C:\Windows\System32\Spool\\drivers\color\D U2410-1.ICM "

This is a different error but I still couldn't save a profile.

But thanks to you, now I can. And I have nice shiny new software to
show for it.

Whew. Well, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one, or the first one,
to bring up the permissions thing, but I don't think the others became
as stupidly obsessed with the matter...

It wasn't just an ordinary matter of permissions. I know about those
things. What fooled me was the imprecision of Microsoft English.

I've known about 'Administrator' and associated powers for some 40
years. Although I know I'm not supposed to, I've made a practice of
assuming 'administrator' powers from the outset of my contact with
Windows (Windows 3.0?). When I first started using Windows 7 I wasn't
aware that Microsoft had considerably reduced the power of the
ordinary administrator and stowed the powers that are missing in a
hidden Super Administrator. Fortunately I soon discovered that.

Even less was I aware that Eric Stevens with administrator powers was
a being inferior to the group of Windows Administrators. This last bit
of ignorance was the source of most of my problems. When is an
administrator not an administrator? An administrator is not an
administrator when they are also a user. As I have previously said,
why should you bother running anything as an administrator when you
think you already are.

I encountered a similar bit of Microsoft imprecision in their W7
backup module. Without clarification they use the term 'backup' in
association with Windows Backup and also the making of a disk image.

Anyway, if you ever decide to clean up the user accounts/permissions
thing, there's a lot of info on the web, including using the command
line to invoke the super-special-double-secret-administrator account.
Also, as a workaround, you can try this: create a shortcut to the
executable, right click and choose properties, go to the "shortcut"
tab on top, then click on "Advanced", and click the "run as
administrator" box. If that works, it'll save you a couple of steps
each time.

And regarding MS, I do believe their permission issue is a convoluted
mess, but I'm not an IT guy, so what do I know? So I think it might
have been a combination of something else, along with one of their
updates that caused this.

I'm now quite convinced that it was an update which precipitated all
this.

And if you're a nice guy, you can tell Datacolor what you found.

I'm already a nice guy: I've told three of them.

Eric Stevens