Thumbnail viewer with unusual feature?

Old August 24th 15, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Default Thumbnail viewer with unusual feature?

My photos and video clips are all named with a date/time prefix. When
making videos/DVDs which use these (and movie clips) as a major
source, I frequently need to quickly browse through many such files
and note the date and time for sequencing and matching to GPS data
etc.

So I'm looking for a thumbnail viewer which at least allows me to
increase the SIZE of font used to display the filename. Ideally I'd
like flexibility over all the usual font settings too, like type,
colour and bold. The excellent IrfanView has a good viewer, allowing a
large size thumbnail, such as the 500x500 in my screenshot. But as you
see, its filename display does not make for comfortable viewing in
large numbers and at speed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ewThumbs-1.jpg

I'm not hopeful, but has anyone ever come across anything like this
please?

Meanwhile I'm in the course of writing a macro (with Macro Express
Pro) that will stamp date/time as a prominent bitmap element at the
bottom of the image. A fun digression, but it's turning out more
complex than I expected, hence my post.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK, using Win XP.
Old August 24th 15, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

This could be useful, but only if you have some
experience with HTML, CSS and script:

http://www.jsware.net/jsware/scrfiles.php5#picview

There are screenshots at the link. I made my own
thumbnail viewer, as an HTA. (An IE window powered
by script.) As you can see from the screenshots, one
chooses a folder, then the images are loaded and
displayed by IE's rendering, which is quite good.
Each image can be enlarged by clicking on it. Click
on the enlarged image to close it. I find the utility handy
for looking through a lot of stock for images needed.
The entire thing can be customized, because it's actually
just script in a webpage. File name font, thumbnail size....
All of that is easy to change, but that's where the
HTML/CSS/VBS experience comes in.

Old August 25th 15, 09:53 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

android wrote:

Terry Pinnell Wrote in message:
[...]

Have you tried DigiKam? It used to have a standalone installer for
Windows IIRC...

Thanks android. Looks a bit heavy for what I need. Already have enough
large 'photo management' apps.
Old August 25th 15, 09:58 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

"Mayayana" wrote:

This could be useful, but only if you have some
experience with HTML, CSS and script:

http://www.jsware.net/jsware/scrfiles.php5#picview

There are screenshots at the link. I made my own
thumbnail viewer, as an HTA. (An IE window powered
by script.) As you can see from the screenshots, one
chooses a folder, then the images are loaded and
displayed by IE's rendering, which is quite good.
Each image can be enlarged by clicking on it. Click
on the enlarged image to close it. I find the utility handy
for looking through a lot of stock for images needed.
The entire thing can be customized, because it's actually
just script in a webpage. File name font, thumbnail size....
All of that is easy to change, but that's where the
HTML/CSS/VBS experience comes in.

Thanks Mayayana, but I'm not a programmer and it's been some years
since I did any work with CSS etc. Not really the no-brainer I was
looking for.

Meanwhile I've made some progress with my macro for embedding
date/time in JPGs, but it's more complex than I'd hoped. And the MOV
video clips need a different approach anyway.

Maybe I'll have to settle for the IrfanView Thumbnail Viewer, despite
the small font of filenames.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old August 26th 15, 07:41 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

hopflop [email protected] wrote:

Terry Pinnell typed with big furry paws:

So I'm looking for a thumbnail viewer which at least allows me to
increase the SIZE of font used to display the filename. Ideally I'd
like flexibility over all the usual font settings too, like type,
colour and bold.

FSViewer lets you change them
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Thanks, but can tell me exactly how please? I have FSV although hadn't
used it for a few years. I've just updated to latest version (5.5) but
still cannot find how to change the filename text display in the
thumbnail view.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old August 26th 15, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

hopflop [email protected] wrote:

Terry Pinnell typed with big furry paws:

Thanks, but can tell me exactly how please? I have FSV although
hadn't used it for a few years. I've just updated to latest version
(5.5) but still cannot find how to change the filename text display
in the thumbnail view.

Create - Contact Sheet Builder
Settings - Caption tab

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but at least a work around.

Tony, hopflop: Thanks both.

Yes, I later guessed that's what you had in mind and I made a PDF
contact sheet that is quite useful. But as you say, that approach
falls short of what I'm really after. Not least because a new sheet
needs creating after any edits, additions or deletions to the folder
of photos.

This exercise has reminded me of FSV's many attractive features and I
must use it more. However, one major downside is that it doesn't
support video files. They make up a large proportion of the material I
use for my DVD making.

I've emailed the author to ask about this omission. Or rather
discontinuance, as I see this in the version history:

"Version 2.4 (March 15, 2006)
Video files ( AVI, MPG, MPEG, WMV, MOV) can be displayed as thumbnails
in the browser. Double clicking on a video file will open it in the
default media player."

I can find no later mention in subsequent versions that it was
dropped, but it plainly has been.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old August 26th 15, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Tony Cooper wrote:

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:30:16 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

[...]

As I understand your quest, you want to enlarge the text that
identifies the file name on the screen in a viewer. As far as I can
tell, FastStone will not allow this.

Er, yes, I thought we'd agreed that? ;-)

I don't think the only one of my viewers/editors I haven't yet tried,
Picasa, can do so either. So still looking.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old August 28th 15, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Tony Cooper wrote:

As I understand your quest, you want to enlarge the text that
identifies the file name on the screen in a viewer. As far as I can
tell, FastStone will not allow this.

Er, yes, I thought we'd agreed that? ;-)

I don't think the only one of my viewers/editors I haven't yet
tried, Picasa, can do so either. So still looking.

Perhaps a file manager will do, I noticed XYplorerFree has lots of
options for thumbnail size and the font can be changed too. No font
color though. That font ("Main Contents") will change the tab font and
tree font also, but I thought it looked kind of cool.

http://www.xyplorer.com/free.php

Many thanks, excellent catch!

This was my first configuration:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Yplorer-01.jpg

I've now changed that to make the tree font identical. Ideally I'd
like to be able to change these independently. And maybe change
colour.

But this tool is terrific. Lots to explore yet but this program seems
at first sight to have a really rich feature set. It does lack the
display speed of Explorer and say IrfanView. But for the purpose
prompting my original post it gets very close.

Much appreciate your unearthing it. ;-)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old August 28th 15, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Gordon Freeman wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Maybe I'll have to settle for the IrfanView Thumbnail Viewer, despite
the small font of filenames.

Irfanview used the curent Windows icon font in the thumbnail view, if you
increase that in your desktop theme settings Irfanview should follow suit.

Thanks Gordon. Although I don't use themes I'll try that interesting
idea out of curiosity. As you see, hopflop came up with a winner.

BTW, as well as configuring fonts as described, holding down the Ctrl
key in XYplorer lets the mouse wheel size them all.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 8th 17, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
android

[...]

teleportation kills

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Windows viewer RAW thumbnail problem joe mama Digital Photography 1 August 15th 06 06:15 PM
Inzomia image viewer 3.06 - Free image viewer Fredrik Digital Photography 0 March 9th 06 10:08 PM
Thumbnail orientation Terry Pinnell Digital Photography 1 March 21st 05 05:54 PM
Unusual "Zoo" Zach Digital Photography 0 December 7th 04 09:10 PM
Thumbnail Software? Dave Digital Photography 40 September 23rd 04 06:28 AM