[SI] Shoot-In Point of View is Visible

Old May 2nd 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

Default [SI] Shoot-In Point of View is Visible

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pov

Old May 2nd 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_13_]

* jimkramer wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pov

Well done to all those who posted. I am really pleased there were
13 submissions. I wish I had a chance to submit one myself.

Not really sure of what the critiquing "rules" are for the SI,
but I'll have a crack at it from an amatuer/novice point of view.

There were several shots that I suspected were going to be there
in some form or other.

I quite liked Bowser's view from the motorbike - does leave me
feeling like a ride

But for me the standout is Helen's shot. I don't know whether
it's the mood I'm in, or whether it's because my long gone
grandmother would have turned 87 within the last week, but that
shot really put me in the place of an elderly lady's "point of
view". The wrinkly hand, the writing on the card. All of it
screamed emotion to me.

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.
Old May 3rd 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Nadvornick

Default Shoot-In Point of View is Visible

"Annika1980" wrote:

Ken's pic did nothing for me .... maybe it was because the
color was off. I liked the punchy colors in Doug Jewell's
pic (Ken, are you listening?).

Heh, heh... Now exactly how certain are you that it really isn't one-third of
a tri-color separation negative set? Subtlety *is* the name of the game, you
know. Maybe you just weren't looking hard enough for those distracting
colors...

Ken

Old May 3rd 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_3_]

Let's see what we got ...

Tully (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458896):

I like the way that the viewer has a POV on the dog, but more so that the
dog seems to have a POV of the photographer - Is he dangerous? Am I in
trouble? Should I growl or run away? I don't know what's going through the
dog's mind, and that makes it an interesting image.

I would like to see this scene shot from a little lower (so the dog's head
isn't bang in the middle of the frame), and including her (?) forepaws so
she's not chopped off at the shins.

Alienjones (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458898):

She does have a couple of interesting points to view. (Sorry, couldn't
resist!) I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to connect with the
photographer's POV or the figurehead's POV. The flat light and clutter
detracts for me. I'd like to see her from closer in and lower down to see
what she looks like "in the net", but that would probably lose the context
and connection with the theme.

Bowser (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458900):

Cool idea. Enough blur to know that you're in motion. I like the way the
screen forms a frame within the frame, focussing my attention on the rider's
view down the road into the distance.

Tom Gabriel (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458902):

I like the idea but I'm distracted by the branch and the bulk of the window
frame on the right. I wonder if it would work better for me cropped down to
focus on the people getting on the bus? I imagine that might have a more
voyeristic feel to it - an idea that works for me as a view-through-a-window
thing.

Ken Nadvornick (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458905):

I imagine a hillbilly sitting in the chair with a shotgun across his knees,
ranting xenophobically, and defending his property against varmints and
forners.

Wilba (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458907):

The Man With No Legs. Easy to work out how it was done. The idea was to get
a portrait from an unusual POV. Nasty green tint on the arm - probably could
have done something about that.

Paul Furman (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458909):

I needed to read the comments to get what the photo is about, and how it
relates to POV.

Rich Pos (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458911):

POV from a barstool? POV about martinis? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to
make of this in relation to the topic. I want to be able to see all of his
face, but that thought also makes me think I've missed the point somehow.

Doug Jewell (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458913):

I like the unfolding ambiguity - is this about the shape of the skate ramp
.... tick tock tick tock ... or is it about the POV of the "artists"? What
would make you want to paint weird skulls all over the place?

Good technical work - deep blue sky with white clouds, vivid colours, detail
in the shadows, disciplined framing, etc.

Walter Banks (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458915):

I'm not sure what to think of this - it doesn't say anything to me. Unless
that's a face carved into the rock ...? Is that a plane taking off?

Jim Kramer (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458918):

To be engaged by this image, I have to mentally crop a sixth of the width
from the left, so that the bright eye isn't in the centre of the frame. I
take full responsibility for my aversion to "bullseye" compositions. :-)

Helen Silverberg (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96459156):

Nicely put together. The image tells a story by itself, and the text adds
value. Makes me wonder what is her POV (opinion) of the granddaughter, and
vice versa.

She was your subject in http://www.pbase.com/shootin/loss?

Bret Douglas (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96459451):

Nicely ambigous. Could be a building, a vent, rack, sieve, grate ...? What
is it? :-)

It's hard for me to pick a winner this time. I like Bowser's idea - it works
well for me as a response to the challenge, but the one that connects the
most for me is Tully's dog. Goodonya everyone.

Old May 3rd 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Nadvornick

"Ken Nadvornick" wrote:

Now exactly how certain are you that it really isn't one-third
of a tri-color separation negative set?

P.S. There *is* a way to tell...

Ken

Old May 3rd 08, 09:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"jimkramer" wrote in message
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pov

Some nice photos there, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to put my entry in
on time, My Dad was in Sydney having some major surgery to his Kidneys. so I
was sort of distracted. I will have to think about something to do with the
Tie-In :-)

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

Old May 3rd 08, 10:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

jimkramer wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pov

Ok here goes for my comments about the shootin.

Tully http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458896
I like how it is taken from the eye-height of the dog with
the fisheye. Almost puts the viewer in the position of
another dog - am I about to get sniffed? I would kinda like
to see the dog's feet in the shot tho.

AlienJones http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458898
The shot seems cluttered & disorganised to me. I'd like to
see a tighter framing onto the figurehead or perhaps a
different angle to greater convey the feel of Point of View.
Sorry, this shot just doesn't do it for me.

Bowser http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458900
Very cool, and one of the best in the set for fitting the
mandate, with the photo clearly showing the view that the
rider would be seeing. Well executed, nice and sharp & well
composed. Minus points cos you didn't take it though - what,
can't you ride and photograph at the same time? :P

Tom Gabriel http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458902
At first glance I went ho-hum, but the more I look at this
shot the more I like it. It breaks many laws of composure eg
the frame cut in 2 with that branch, the other tree blocking
the billboard etc, but without those flaws, the image would
be dishonest. That's the whole point - this is the view out
your window. I like the cool colouring - adds to the photo
looking cold and dull, nothing spectacular, typical view
from any window in any city in any country. The more I see
it the more I like it. Well done.

Ken Nadvornick http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458905
I dunno what to say here. Technically well done, I'm just
not sure of the subject. Maybe it needs a slack-jawed yokel
on the chair!

Wilba http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458907
Well it's a different Point of View.

Paul Furman http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458909
Lucky you if that's your POV. Well done at getting an
acceptable shot out of the plane window - every american
aircraft I've seen had such a thick layer of crud on the
windows you'd have a hard time telling the difference
between the rocky mountains and the nevada desert.

Rich Pos http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458911
Nice shot from the POV of someone sitting at the bar. I'm
guessing that your roll of film has shots taken at
increasingly low angles? ;-)

Doug Jewell http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458913
I'm surprised I seem to be the only one who interpreted POV
to mean "opinion" rather than "vision". I didn't even think
of the visual side of "Point of View". A "point of view" is
an opinion to me, and that is what I tried to portray here -
Whether you call this stuff graffiti or art depends entirely
on your point of view. As Wilba pointed out, the artists
would seem to have some odd points of view as well.

Walter Banks http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458915
It's potentially a nice landscape shot, although it does
look a bit soft to me (intentional?). Not quite sure how
well it fits the mandate though - perhaps if there was some
sort of foreground to put things in perspective?

Jim Kramer http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458918
Suddenly the Peter Gabriel song "Games without Frontiers"
comes to mind - or specifically the lyric "If Looks Could
Kill they Probably Will". That cat has an attitude, and if
you are small and that's currently what you are seeing, you
are about to be in a whole world of pain. I like.

Helen Silverburg http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96459156
Without doubt, the standout shot in this set to my mind.
Even without the story, this shot stands out, meets the
mandate perfectly, and is a very powerful piece.
Exceptionally well done. Surely this shot will dispel any
ideas that Helen==Bret.

Bret Douglas http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96459451
uhm... yeah... what is it?...
Interesting texture, lighting & reflections, but I would
have liked just a bit more of a visual clue as to what it
actually is. As an abstract texture shot, I think it would
work better if it was symmetrical. I'm going to take a stab
in the dark - an escalator?
Old May 3rd 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Doug Jewell wrote:

jimkramer wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pov

Walter Banks http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458915

It's potentially a nice landscape shot, although it does
look a bit soft to me (intentional?). Not quite sure how
well it fits the mandate though - perhaps if there was some
sort of foreground to put things in perspective?

Comments are well taken. This was an idea that didn't work. The
first outcrop was the scene for an unseen shot in an earlier SI
I think you are right that some forground would put this shot
in perspective. At the time I avoided the foreground because I
thought it would make the image too busy.

Many thanks for the comments.

w..

Old May 3rd 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Wilba wrote:

Let's see what we got ...

Walter Banks (http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/96458915):

I'm not sure what to think of this - it doesn't say anything to me. Unless
that's a face carved into the rock ...? Is that a plane taking off?

The face will change again in a year or so, its natural. This was an
idea that didn't work. The birds are Turkey Vultures catching
some lift. The cliffs here are about 200 feet tall. I wanted to
tie it to an unseen earlier SI mandate. (At the time not knowing just
how much overhang when I was on top of the first outcrop taking
unseen)

Thanks for the comments.

w..

Old May 3rd 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"jimkramer" wrote in message
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pov

Some nice photos there, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to put my entry in
on time, My Dad was in Sydney having some major surgery to his Kidneys. so
I was sort of distracted. I will have to think about something to do with
the Tie-In :-)

I suppose I should show you what I had started (remember that it was taken
with a P&S HP Photsmart 607 so its not going to be anywhere near the quality
of others here)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27036395@N00/2461648022/