Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

Old February 22nd 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

Default Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

All,

I guess it's a stupid question. Is there any chance to find a teleconverter
for this lens? I realize that it doesn't have a thread, but maybe there is
something useful even in this situation?

Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55200.htm

Thanks,
Just D.

Old February 22nd 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"Just D" wrote in message
All,

I guess it's a stupid question. Is there any chance to find a
teleconverter for this lens? I realize that it doesn't have a thread, but
maybe there is something useful even in this situation?

Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55200.htm

Thanks,
Just D.

I don't think that there is currently a teleconverter for the G series.
These things mount between the camera body and the lens. The Nikon mount is
a type of bayonet; no threads are involved.

It might be a bit of a stretch to design a converter for such a range of
focal lengths.

Jim

Old February 22nd 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

"Jim"
I guess it's a stupid question. Is there any chance to find a
teleconverter for this lens? I realize that it doesn't have a thread, but
maybe there is something useful even in this situation?

Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55200.htm

I don't think that there is currently a teleconverter for the G series.
These things mount between the camera body and the lens. The Nikon mount
is a type of bayonet; no threads are involved.

It might be a bit of a stretch to design a converter for such a range of
focal lengths.

Thanks for this info!

Just D.

Old February 22nd 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jim
wrote:

I don't think that there is currently a teleconverter for the G series.
These things mount between the camera body and the lens. The Nikon mount is
a type of bayonet; no threads are involved.

third party tele-converters work fine with minor limitations in some
cases.

http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/N...ter%20Table.pd
Old February 22nd 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

third party tele-converters work fine with minor limitations in some
cases.
http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/N...er%20Table.pdf

Great link, thanks!

I already tried to google the devices on the Internet using this list. The
price is more or less acceptable. Interesting which one works better with
this combination of the D80 and AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED.
According to this list there are several models that should work ok.

Does anybody have any experience with the combination of body/lens mentioned
above?

Just D.

Old February 23rd 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

Ed Ruf

http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/N...er%20Table.pdf

I already tried to google the devices on the Internet using this list. The
price is more or less acceptable. Interesting which one works better with
this combination of the D80 and AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED.
According to this list there are several models that should work ok.

You know you're going to have to manually focus all but a 1.4x at minimum
focal length, right?

So there is no chances to get autofocus working? Maybe I didn't read the
table correctly but it seems to me that it's possible with some converters,
even having 2X and 3X. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm seeing AF(1) working with
lenses f/4 or greater and sometimes with f/5.6 which is that - 4/5.6. So we
have the beginning of the list with 4 different NIkon converters, and a
little bit more below. I like AF(1),D(a) and according to this list there
are just a few models allowing these conditions:

Nikon TC-14E AF (1), D (a)
Nikon TC-14E II AF (1), D (a)
Nikon TC-17E II AF (1), D (a)
Nikon TC-20E AF (1), D (a)

Kenko Pro 300 1.4x AF (1), D (a)
Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x AF (1), D (a)

Tamron SP Pro 1.4x AF (1), D (a)

I guess Nikon is better because it should work with the Nikon body/lens.
This one is available on the Internet, just wondering if anybody has any
experience with this converter combined with the devices mentioned above.
Would not like to buy it without testing.

Just D.

Old February 23rd 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/N...er%20Table.pdf

Well, just got the official answer from Nikon with this link:

http://support.nikontech.com:80/cgi-...ted=1142887152

There is nothing good.

Just D.

Old February 23rd 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Just D
wrote:

http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/N...er%20Table.pdf

Well, just got the official answer from Nikon with this link:

http://support.nikontech.com:80/cgi-.../std_adp.php?p
_faqid=13929&p_created=1142887152

There is nothing good.

those lenses don't work with *nikon* converters which have a protruding
front element.

most third party converters have a recessed element and will work fine,
with some of them even supporting autofocus and vr.
Old February 23rd 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

those lenses don't work with *nikon* converters which have a protruding
front element.

most third party converters have a recessed element and will work fine,
with some of them even supporting autofocus and vr.

Wow! Do you remember the brands/models?

Just D.

Old February 23rd 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Just D" wrote in message
All,

I guess it's a stupid question. Is there any chance to find a
teleconverter for this lens? I realize that it doesn't have a thread, but
maybe there is something useful even in this situation?

Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55200.htm

Thanks,
Just D.

It is not a stupid question, it is an excessively stupid question.

If you follow your own link, you will see a photo of the lens, and you will
see that there is a filter thread. KR in his description actually mentions
that it is the standard 52mm.

Why anyone in their right mind would want to use a screw in front converter
on a Nikon Lens is rather beyond my understanding, especially since this
lens has a PLASTIC bayonet mount.

Roy G