[Survey] -Prime Lenses in the kit -results

Old June 26th 04, 11:26 PM
Phil Wheeler

Default [Survey] -Prime Lenses in the kit -results

Sander Vesik wrote:

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Alan Browne wrote:

William Graham wrote:

One of the things I loved about traveling was using the money in the neat
places I was in. I liked the German Marks and the Australian dollars, and
the Italian Lira....I was kind of sad to hear that the eurodollar was
replacing some of these, but I am too old to go back to these countries
anyway..........Our, "quaint" US dollars is not an insult to me........

As a business traveller exchanging cash remains one of the most
despised aspects of travel and is a burden in time and money on
commerce.

amen! now if onlythe danish, swedish and british saw the light too..

And the Swiss :-)

Old June 27th 04, 02:51 AM
William Graham

wrote:
William Graham wrote:

One of the things I loved about traveling was using the money in the

neat
places I was in. I liked the German Marks and the Australian dollars,

and
the Italian Lira....I was kind of sad to hear that the eurodollar was
replacing some of these, but I am too old to go back to these

countries
anyway..........Our, "quaint" US dollars is not an insult to

me........

As a business traveller exchanging cash remains one of the most
despised aspects of travel and is a burden in time and money on
commerce.

amen! now if onlythe danish, swedish and british saw the light too..

And how about the Japanese and the Americans? - There isn't any reason why
we couldn't use Eurodollars......I don't know what would happen to the guys
who make money trading in money markets though.....It looks like they are
going to be forced out of business.......

Old June 27th 04, 10:05 AM
TP

"William Graham" wrote:

And how about the Japanese and the Americans? - There isn't any reason why
we couldn't use Eurodollars...

The American economy is not strong enough to join the Euro. With your
fiscal and monetary indiscipline, you wouldn't even be allowed in.

It could have been different under Clinton. With a sound economy and
balanced budget, you might just have qualified for entry to the Euro.

As for the "Eurodollar", you are either confusing the single European
currency (Euro) with bonds issued by European central banks in dollars
in the 1970s and 1980s (Euro Dollar bonds), or you haven't the
faintest idea what goes on in the world outside your country.

I suspect the latter.

Old June 27th 04, 06:51 PM
one_of_many

"William Graham" wrote:

The American economy is not strong enough to join the Euro. With your
fiscal and monetary indiscipline, you wouldn't even be allowed in.

The weak dollar is a huge boon to American manufacturers who actually
_make_ things in-country for obvious reasons. But that's not really what
our administration cares about.

In any event, the high US national debt has some interesting, nonintuitive
twists. You would think it's a hugely bad thing to be so deeply in debt,
but in the international economy at this time (and before China, Inc
becomes the major player), none of the friendly economies want the US to
go broke because they would get nothing in terms of currency, commodities,
political help, and *gasp*, worst of all - no military help. Friendly
economies (including the Saudis) still look to the USA as a hired gun;
they don't want the army to run out of ammo. (And strangely, the USA is
working to support Iran by eliminating their enemies. Iran has not,
historically, played well with others.)
Old June 27th 04, 09:11 PM
William Graham

"TP" wrote in message
"William Graham" wrote:

And how about the Japanese and the Americans? - There isn't any reason

why
we couldn't use Eurodollars...

The American economy is not strong enough to join the Euro. With your
fiscal and monetary indiscipline, you wouldn't even be allowed in.

It could have been different under Clinton. With a sound economy and
balanced budget, you might just have qualified for entry to the Euro.

As for the "Eurodollar", you are either confusing the single European
currency (Euro) with bonds issued by European central banks in dollars
in the 1970s and 1980s (Euro Dollar bonds), or you haven't the
faintest idea what goes on in the world outside your country.

I suspect the latter.

The speculation here is that our currency will merge with the Euro within
the next ten years or so......Check out:
http://www.globalfindata.com/articles/euro.htm

Old June 27th 04, 10:39 PM
TP

"William Graham" wrote:

The speculation here is that our currency will merge with the Euro within
the next ten years or so......Check out:
http://www.globalfindata.com/articles/euro.htm

1998?

The article is as out of date as it is out of touch with reality.

It is *so* Last Century.

;-)

Old June 28th 04, 01:29 AM
Bandicoot

"TP" wrote in message
"William Graham" wrote:

And how about the Japanese and the Americans? - There isn't
any reason why we couldn't use Eurodollars...

The American economy is not strong enough to join the Euro.
With your fiscal and monetary indiscipline, you wouldn't even
be allowed in.

It could have been different under Clinton. With a sound
economy and balanced budget, you might just have qualified for
entry to the Euro.

I remember doing a paper exercise once that suggested it was under Clinton
that (recently) the US would have come closest to meeting the admission
criteria - but even then not quite. Too much debt relative to GDP.

It's got worse again since, though it isn't yet as bad as it was under
Reagan. This matter less than it would to a country with a smaller domestic
market, of course, which means that though it will crush US competitiveness
and wipe out employment _eventually_ (and the longer the crunch is
postponed the more it will hurt) politicians can keep getting re-elected on
policies that look good today but sell out the future just by putting off
the reckoning a little longer... Same all over the world, but the US has a
bigger problem combined with more ability to put off the crunch - which will
be commensurately bigger in the end. Ho hum.

As for the "Eurodollar", you are either confusing the single
European currency (Euro) with bonds issued by European central
banks in dollars in the 1970s and 1980s (Euro Dollar bonds), or
you haven't the faintest idea what goes on in the world outside
your country.

I suspect the latter.

I suspect both ;-) It always surprises me how few people know what a
Euro-Dollar is - and how many think that it has anything whatsoever to do
with the Euro.

Peter

Old June 28th 04, 01:33 AM
Bandicoot

Default [OT] -Prime Lenses in the kit -results

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Bandicoot wrote:

[SNIP reposted text that had no comments, just followups reset]

Hmmm - moron yerself John...

Wasn't my comment one of the more reasoned ones in this part of the thread -
or is that what you objected to? ;-)

Peter

Old June 28th 04, 05:17 AM
William Graham

"Bandicoot" wrote in message
"TP" wrote in message
"William Graham" wrote:

[...]

Well, as long as you guys are so well versed on these "Euro-definitions,"
perhaps you can tell me if there are euro-pennies, euro-quarters and
euro-dimes? And if so, then how do you differentiate them from
"euro-dollars" in common speech?