How many rolls of film did you shoot in 2008?

Old November 9th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

Default How many rolls of film did you shoot in 2008?

"Peter Chant" wrote in message

So far this year, all 36-exposure 35 mm slides:

1 Kodak E100GX
1 Fuji Velvia 100F
4 Fuji Velvia 50
8 Fuji Provia 400X
69 Fuji Velvia 100
70 Fuji Provia 100F (most pushed 1 stop)

=153

What do I win

Well done Alan!
You are indeed doing your part to keep the economy going.

Sorry, response to Allen's post, not Riches, what do you find is the
difference between the various Velvia's and Provia?

I shoot a bare fraction of what you do. However, if I were allowed only

one
film it would be Provia 100F (for 35mm). If I include any sky with Velvia
50 I get burnt out clouds, even if the subject is too dark. Got on better
with one of the Velvia 100's.

Pity I can't project 6x6, as I've gone the other way and ususally settle

on
Kodak Portra (the natural colour one) for 6x6! Perhaps I ought to
try "super slides" (40mm square mounts) if I can get them as a second

best.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Velvia 50 and Velvia 100 have very similar palettes, which is why I switched
to 100. Do they even make the 50 anymore? (I have 1 roll left.) I do not
like Velvia 100F because the colors are just too much or unreal. Provia
100F pushes well, so I push 1 stop for the slightly faster shutter speed for
moving wildlife. But if I can get away with a slower shutter speed for elk
etc., I'll use Velvia 100 because of the color/saturation.

I do tell which film I use for each (most) of my pictures on my new web site
(went public in August.):
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/ .

--
Alan Justice

Old November 9th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Allene Peebles

I have not kept an exact count, but this is an estimate.

All 35 mm film :
2 Kodak TX 400
1 Kodak PX 125
About 15 Kodak GB Gold 200
About 25 Kodachrome KR64
About 10 Kodak Elite 100
1 Fuji Provia 400F
2 Fuji Sensia 100

Ross -

Alan Browne wrote:

Picking up where Ric Trexell started ...

I've shot:

135 [35mm]: 4 rolls
120 [6x6]: 20 rolls

All E6 (Velvia 100, 100F, Kodak E100G, GX).

Old November 9th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Alan Justice wrote,on my timestamp of 9/11/2008 3:44 PM:

to 100. Do they even make the 50 anymore? (

jeez! you only missed the last year or so of film
making...
Old November 9th 08, 10:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Alan Justice wrote:
"Doug Jewell" wrote in message
Alan Justice wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Alan Justice wrote:

So far this year, all 36-exposure 35 mm slides:

1 Kodak E100GX
1 Fuji Velvia 100F
4 Fuji Velvia 50
8 Fuji Provia 400X
69 Fuji Velvia 100
70 Fuji Provia 100F (most pushed 1 stop)

=153

What do I win?
More scanning time.

.. 5500 images in a year ... haven't done that on film in a long time
... (actually I never got over a 100 rolls in a year..)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
The first full year (naught zero) after I quit my day job and switched

slides I took 659 rolls. That was a learning year (lots of travel and
workshops). Then 4-500/year for 3 years, then 150/year since. Now if I

do
get a digital camera soon (prolly will), then there will be another

learning
year.

I never really thought much about the cost of film & developing, as it

was a
necessity. But I do think about the time to edit them. So I'm not sure
I'll really have a huge increase when they're digital images. Maybe

more
bracketing, just to be sure.

What have others found? When you switched to digital, did you greatly
increase the number of pictures per year?

A huge increase in number of frames shot, but also a huge
DECREASE in "keepers". For the first few months or so I was
still coming to grips with the different exposure / settings
etc. Plus I find I tend to shoot lazy with digital -
something I'm trying to work on. If I leave my digital gear
at home and take the film gear only, I'll find I come home
with far fewer photos, but probably more keepers, and an
overall better batch of photos.
Digital is superb for snapshots of places we visit, snapping
away at the kids etc - stuff that I probably wouldn't bother
taking with the film camera, but that gives a good
collection of family memories.

And how about the time spent editing?

I do almost no editing. I shoot in JPG if I'm just doing
snapshotty type stuff, and RAW+JPG if I'm shooting with a
purpose.
Usually I find the out-of-camera JPG is good enough, but if
I do want to do some tweaks to it I'll use the raw. The
editing I do most often, and in my estimation of the
frequency I would do them, is:
Brightness/Contrast tweaks.
Minor colour correction.
Saturation change - including desaturation to mono.
Cropping to a different aspect ratio (eg 8x10).

Very very rare that I'll do anything more involved than that.

Quite possibly because I have a reasonable amount of
experience operating minilabs, I tend to use a very similar
workflow to the printing process. I'll flip through a batch
of photos in Windows photo viewer, and if I find a photo I
want to make changes to, I'll load the RAW into CS2, and
make the appropriate adjustments. I've just got lightroom on
the advice of a friend, and while it shows promise for being
even quicker, I'm not quite comfortable with it yet.
Old November 9th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Alan Justice wrote:

The first full year (naught zero) after I quit my day job and switched to
slides I took 659 rolls. That was a learning year (lots of travel and
workshops). Then 4-500/year for 3 years, then 150/year since. Now if I do
get a digital camera soon (prolly will), then there will be another learning
year.

More like a learning day. You shoot slide film? Digital exposes pretty
much the same except you get deeper shadow detail. Put the highlights
at +2 and you're off.

Here is the lesson plan.

1. Expose for the highlights. Verify in histogram.

2. Graduation ceremony.

I never really thought much about the cost of film & developing, as it was a
necessity. But I do think about the time to edit them. So I'm not sure
I'll really have a huge increase when they're digital images. Maybe more
bracketing, just to be sure.

If you're shooting available light, less bracketing once you've mastered
lesson 1 above. You find the exp. setting that works and just shoot
(note this is the great benefit of shooting manual exposure once you've
found the correct setting, consistency).

Using a computer to 'grade' the take quickly lifts the better images to
the top of the heap.

What have others found? When you switched to digital, did you greatly
increase the number of pictures per year?

About the same. But that's because I don't have all that much time to
shoot in any case.

Alan: you're putting way too much emphasis on transition. With the
benefit of the monitor (what did I get) and the histogram (did I blow
it?) you will very quickly be proficient. Plus you get to adjust ISO to
get whatever shutter speed you need.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old November 9th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:19:39 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:
:
: Picking up where Ric Trexell started ...
:
: I've shot:

("An honest confession is good for the soul.")

None.

Indeed, I can't remember the last time I shot film. My Nikon F2 and my wife's
Nikkormat sit unused, gathering dust. :^|

In fact, I don't recognize any of the film types (and almost none of the
brands) mentioned so far in this thread.

So sue me.

Bob
Old November 9th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

Alan Justice wrote:

So far this year, all 36-exposure 35 mm slides:

1 Kodak E100GX
1 Fuji Velvia 100F
4 Fuji Velvia 50
8 Fuji Provia 400X
69 Fuji Velvia 100
70 Fuji Provia 100F (most pushed 1 stop)

=153

What do I win?
More scanning time.

.. 5500 images in a year ... haven't done that on film in a long

time
... (actually I never got over a 100 rolls in a year..)

-- r.p.d.slr-systems:

http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
[...]

Actually, what I meant is, how much time do you now spend going through the
images and deciding what to keep?

--
Alan Justice

Old November 9th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Starr

25 rolls of 35mm
40 rolls of 120
80 sheets of 4x5
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Speak softly and carry a loaded .45
Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Web Site: www.destarr.com
Old November 10th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark Thomas

Michael Benveniste wrote:
On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 11:05:56 +1000, Mark Thomas
wrote:

Well, that one caught my eye... I'd never heard of it, but a quick
search indicates it's a tungsten-balanced film..?

Yes, it's tungsten balanced. It's also a movie film, which means
it requires ECN II processing. I only know of a couple of labs which
still offer that to still photographers.

May I ask what you think of it? Any samples available?

Here's a writeup I did on it a while back. Did you want sample shots
or samples of the film itself?

http://webwhat.home.comcast.net/~webwhat/Eterna.htm

It's an interesting film, but in the situations I used it for a modern
dSLR is usually a better choice. But I like playing with retrotech
now and then. A few of those shots were lit with M2 flashbulbs.

Thanks a lot for that info, Michael. I was just curious - I thought I
knew every film.. (O:

I would have been interested in a sample image or two if it had
something interesting to offer, but realistically, I'm not likely to go
digging it up to try. I think the last time I used t-film was about ten
years ago in my old tlr...
Old November 10th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Chant[_2_]

David Starr wrote:

25 rolls of 35mm
40 rolls of 120