Need feedback on Bibble

Old October 30th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pradeep Chandran

Default Need feedback on Bibble

Hi All,
Earlier, I had posted a query about a RAW converter in this
group [1]. I found a review of a tool called Bibble at a web site [2].
I have tried the tool and found it to be quite useful. I am planning
to buy it and would really like to know what the participants in this
group think. I couldn't find any other tools comparable to Bibble in
terms of price and features. Are there any?
Have a nice day,
Pradeep
[1] Message-ID:
[2]
http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/...onCapture.html
--
All opinions are mine and do not represent the views or
policies of my employer.
Old October 30th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mueen Nawaz

Pradeep Chandran wrote:
Hi All,
Earlier, I had posted a query about a RAW converter in this
group [1]. I found a review of a tool called Bibble at a web site [2].
I have tried the tool and found it to be quite useful. I am planning
to buy it and would really like to know what the participants in this
group think. I couldn't find any other tools comparable to Bibble in
terms of price and features. Are there any?

I use Linux, and Bibble and Ufraw are the only options for RAW there.
Ufraw cannot compete with Bibble in terms of features. There are other
options in Windows, but I don't know about those.

Before plunging into it, check out their support forums, and go to the
one for your camera, whatever it is. If there are any issues with Bibble
and your camera (bad white balance, colors, etc), it'll come out there.

Bibble has a number of nice features. However, I try to use it just for
the basic levels and curves adjustments, and anything else that matters
for 12 bit processing. Then I save it as JPEG and do the rest in Gimp,
as I like their interface. However, it is nice seeing simple Noise Ninja
and Lens Correction features in Bibble. But do check the subforums for
your camera. I have an Olympus E-500, and there are a few color issues,
which I hope they are working on.

(And when comparing RAW converters, keep in mind that probably no two
will give identical results, and none will look like the one your camera
software produces).

--
As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices: "Take it, or leave
it."

/\ /\ /\ /
/ \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

anl

Old October 30th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bmoag

Bibble is ok. The lite version has all the important tools for amateur use.
Bibble has a "vibrancy" slider that is lacking in Photoshop but the effect
is otherwise reproducible in PS.
Whether or not you find the noise reduction and the lens distortion plug-in
useful is your call.
The different raw converters follow different work-flows and one may appeal
more to some people than others.
I am not convinced that there are significant technical advantages of one
over another or technical advantages of performing operations in a raw
converter or in Photoshop. The latter has many more tools, more flexibility
and in particular allows work in lossless layers.

Old October 31st 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pradeep Chandran

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:38:35 GMT, "bmoag" wrote:
Bibble is ok. The lite version has all the important tools for amateur use.
Bibble has a "vibrancy" slider that is lacking in Photoshop but the effect
is otherwise reproducible in PS.
Whether or not you find the noise reduction and the lens distortion plug-in
useful is your call.

I found both to be useful.

The different raw converters follow different work-flows and one may appeal
more to some people than others.
I am not convinced that there are significant technical advantages of one
over another or technical advantages of performing operations in a raw
converter or in Photoshop. The latter has many more tools, more flexibility
and in particular allows work in lossless layers.

Very true. For me, an important consideration was price. So, Photoshop
was pretty much out. Also, I prefer to do much of the work in Linux. I
don't do much editing (just started photography seriously) and for
what little I do, I use GIMP. Maybe someday I will need the features
of Photoshop. Until that day comes, I think I will stick to Bibble.

Have a nice day,
Pradeep
Old October 31st 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
embee

"Pradeep Chandran" wrote in message
Hi All,
Earlier, I had posted a query about a RAW converter in this
group [1]. I found a review of a tool called Bibble at a web site [2].
I have tried the tool and found it to be quite useful. I am planning
to buy it and would really like to know what the participants in this
group think. I couldn't find any other tools comparable to Bibble in
terms of price and features. Are there any?
Have a nice day,
Pradeep
[1] Message-ID:
[2]
http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/...onCapture.html
--

When I first started using Bibble a few months back, after years if using
Capture One, Rawshooter and ACR, I was initially very impressed (especially

My main complaint is Bibble's interface, which I find quite frustrating.
This is probably more down to me, than any inherent problem with the
software (as I say, I was used to working with other converters and I
probably just found Bibble a little too unorthodox).

I now also question the value of using highlight recovery - often it looks
weird in the final image so I now aim to use Bibble's feature only when
absolutely necessary.

Finally, you have to be very careful with Bibble's vibrancy and saturation
settings - they are nice when used sparingly, completely unbelievable when
pushed too far.

Overall, I prefer Capture One. It needs more learning and doesn't do
anything spectacular with offensive highlights - but the end result is, in
my opinion, more satisfactory.

As for noise reduction - I use Noise Ninja in Photoshop anyway, so I have
little to gain by having it in Bibble.

Cheers

Epson feedback JAS Digital Photography 6 August 8th 06 09:44 PM
OLYMPUSAMERICA "0" FEEDBACK Bidders KURVA GROSPLUT Digital Photography 6 September 23rd 04 03:39 PM
DIGITAL CAMERA AUCTION 50% "0" Feedback Bidding KURVA GROSPLUT General Equipment For Sale 2 June 30th 04 07:00 PM
Lake District (England) photographs --- comments and feedback welcome Andy Bannister Photographing Nature 0 November 5th 03 04:38 PM