Wore out my D200 shutter, apparently

Old April 1st 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

Default Wore out my D200 shutter, apparently

"Robert Coe" wrote:
Alienjones wrote:
: David J. Littleboy wrote:
:
: Actually, I'm thinking of moving back to film. A 6x7 frame captures
somewhat
: more detail than a 5D frame, and I find that the number of keepers I
get in
: an afternoon's walk is essentially inversely proportional to the
number of
: frames I take. So 20 or 30 carefully composed Mamiya 7 Provia 100F
slides
: are worth a lot more at the end of the year than a 4GB card full of
(usually
: overly hasty) 5D shots.
:
: Curiously when I shoot 645, the results are more profitable than when I
: shoot digital. Maybe it's the nature of portraits, maybe it's the
: machine gun attitude I've developed towards digital but you are right
: about the card full of mostly hasty shots. Somewhere in there is a
: lesson for serious shooters.

This came through as an empty message with an attachment. If possible, could
you look into posting in plain text? Thanks.

The lesson for serious shooters is to throw away the crap as soon as
you've
identified it as such. The statistic about what percentage of your shots
are
keepers is irrelevant: if you got one good image, it makes no difference
(in
the digital world) whether it took you one shot or fifty shots to get it.

It's not the percentage that I'm worried about, it's the absolute numbers.

To some extent, it's psychological. With 6x7, I pull out the spot meter,
look around carefully, think what's going to end up where, think why I'm
taking the shot, and simply put a lot more effort and energy into each and
every shot. There's no logical, physical, sensible reason one couldn't do
that with digital. But it doesn't happen.

(You are, of course, right that one should cull ruthlessly. But if there's
nothing there after the cull...)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old April 1st 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:49:55 -0400, Rita Berkowitz wrote:

Yeah, it is called "Machine Gunning" or "Spraying Lead"
and praying one gets a keeper. It's sad that photography
has come down to this hack job philosophy. I agree that one
should use each shot like it matters, especially with digital.

Wave your camera in the air,
Like you just don't care!

Old April 1st 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Paul Furman wrote:

89,736 shutter actuations in just under 2 years (1 year warranty) and I
apparently wore my D200 shutter out. Here's the description of the
problem I'm sending with it to Nikon for repair:

'Blinking "Err" message every other shot. Attempting to click

"to click"? Unclear. What do you mean?

makes a partial shutter release sound

What's that? Do you mean "causes a sound like ..."?

and clears the Err message, second attempt
takes a photo then the Err message returns. In manual mode, shutter
speed adjustments between 1/650 & 1/500 make a huge difference, either
over or underexposed.'

Do you mean it's underexposed with 1/650 and overexposed with
1/500? Or is it "Shutter speeds between ... are widely
variable, causing random over- or underexposure"?

I find your error desctiption quite confusing ...

-Wolfgang
Old April 1st 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson[_2_]

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

You are, of course, right that one should cull ruthlessly. But if there's
nothing there after the cull...

.... you need to find another hobby. ;-)

Old April 1st 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alienjones[_3_]

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Robert Coe" wrote:
Alienjones wrote:
: David J. Littleboy wrote:
:
[...]

David...
There are numerous forged posts with my name to them floating around
from Gordon Lightfoot III and his sock puppets.

Instead of asking me to revert back to posting unverifiable messages and
run the risk of a troll baiting you under my name, why not consider
using a newsreader able to handle PGP signed messages?

Outlook express is not able to do this. If you click the attachment
(text) you can read my messages but not verify them. Thunderbird is able
to handle it.

This is an unsigned message.

--

from Douglas,
If my PGP key is missing, the
Old April 2nd 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

89,736 shutter actuations in just under 2 years (1 year warranty) and I
apparently wore my D200 shutter out. Here's the description of the
problem I'm sending with it to Nikon for repair:

'Blinking "Err" message every other shot. Attempting to click

"to click"? Unclear. What do you mean?

"Pressing the shutter button"

makes a partial shutter release sound

What's that?

It sounds kind of like the DOF preview button. Shorter than a full photo
capture sound, or going into mirror lockup perhaps, or maybe just the
shutter without the mirror? It doesn't make a file.

and clears the Err message, second attempt
takes a photo then the Err message returns. In manual mode, shutter
speed adjustments between 1/650 & 1/500 make a huge difference, either
over or underexposed.'

Do you mean it's underexposed with 1/650 and overexposed with
1/500?

Correct. Which sure looks like shutter problems. It went in the mail
this morning.
Old April 2nd 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dudley Hanks

Paul Furman wrote:

[...]

Sorry to hear about your problem, Paul. Hope it doesn't keep you out of
action too long.

Do you have a backup camera?

Good Luck,
Dudley

Old April 2nd 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Dudley Hanks wrote:

Do you have a backup camera?

The 8-year old Olympus C3030 still hobbles along, and the cell phone is
not bad sometimes. I'll be fine for a couple weeks... I don't need a D3,
I don't need a D3.
Old April 2nd 08, 08:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Paul Furman wrote:
Dudley Hanks wrote:

Do you have a backup camera?

The 8-year old Olympus C3030 still hobbles along, and the cell phone is
not bad sometimes. I'll be fine for a couple weeks... I don't need a D3,
I don't need a D3.

When you find out what Nikon's service cost, and how
long it takes, a new D3 is going to look more inviting
than you imagine...

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old April 2nd 08, 08:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
van dark

The same problem as to listen a music from radio equipped with tubes or
from transistor radio. Van

David J. Littleboy napsal(a):
"Robert Coe" wrote:
Alienjones wrote: