Will digital rule

Old October 2nd 03, 11:38 AM
james knox

Default Will digital rule

With the increase in use of digital photography will camera film
become obsolete.I feel its just acase of digital prices ie memory
cards cameras etc becoming cheaper
What's ahead??
Old October 2nd 03, 05:23 PM
Victor Bazarov

"james knox" wrote...
With the increase in use of digital photography will camera film
become obsolete.I feel its just acase of digital prices ie memory
cards cameras etc becoming cheaper
What's ahead??

Yes, it will. Eventually, photographic film as an imaging medium
will become a thing of the past. Perhaps even during the lifetime
of the younger folk. It doesn't mean, however, that you have to
join the "digital revolution" if you don't want to. Film has still
many advantages over digital [at this point in time].

BTW, posting this here isn't likely to attract a decent discussion.
Think of ".equipment." newsgroups instead of ".marketplace." The
".marketplace." is for selling/buying/trading.

Victor

Old October 3rd 03, 04:06 AM
zeitgeist

Before photography people would have their images painted, Rembrandt's most
famous painting, the Nigh****ch, was commissioned by the town's association
of guards, well I'd say the noblemen who paid for the patrols, and was noted
as the first time that instead of doing a group all staring at the 'camera'
they were doing things.

Well, there are still paints and brushes available, in fact the makers have
apparently invested some R&D money cause acrylic paints have come into being
in the meantime.

If you consider that the average portrait painter, well one that's any good,
makes some serious money, heck even the ones that do a paint-by-numbers
rendition from your snapshot get more than mainstreet studios.

so yeah, chips will replace film like film replaced paint and pencil
sketches, they'll still be around, in fact as a rarified art form.

Old October 8th 03, 03:50 AM
ididn'tdoit

You are both seriously deluded, and have been far too influenced by
manufacturers hype.

Kodak and Fuji both have no plans anytime in the forseable future to stop
manufacturing film, because despite the all BS about digital that they ram
down peoples' throats to get them to buy a digital camera, they know that
film sales and processing are still a billion dollar a year business, and
will be so for a long time to come.

Even many pros that were on the cutting age of the digital revolution are
once again beginning to discover that film still really rocks for a lot of
things.

Camels & Cocktails,

Jamie

www.yanak.com