Interesting Site

Old May 2nd 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Default Interesting Site

Take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/6nnehk
I don't know how it's done (suggestions welcome), but I thought it was
quite impressive.
Dave Cohen
Old May 2nd 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 01 May 2009 22:11:05 -0400, Dave Cohen wrote:

Take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/6nnehk
I don't know how it's done (suggestions welcome), but I thought it was
quite impressive.
Dave Cohen

Footnote indicates it's a 'flash'. I'd be more impressed if he just
brought the damned picture up instead of wasting my time and bandwidth
with the animation.

Old May 2nd 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Dave Cohen wrote:
Take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/6nnehk
I don't know how it's done (suggestions welcome), but I thought it was
quite impressive.

Firefox with FlashBlocker activated shows only a black window with an
arrow, indicating that the page is using some Flash. Against better
judgement I activated the Flash. Despite DSL it took too long to load
for my patience, therefore a definite no-go for me.

Plain HTML with embedded pictures still works best!

jue
Old May 2nd 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-01 19:11:05 -0700, Dave Cohen said:

Take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/6nnehk
I don't know how it's done (suggestions welcome), but I thought it was
quite impressive.
Dave Cohen

Yup! A Flash multi-stitch, mulit-axis 360 horizontal & 180 vertical panorama.
This is similar to the technique used for the multi-stitch shot at the
Obama inauguration.
http://www.davidbergman.net/blog/200...gural-address/

My

broadband was able to serve it up promptly, without the problems
reported by others.
I can appreciate all of the issues related to Flash, but it works well
in my environment.
Savageduck

Old May 2nd 09, 09:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Jürgen Exner wrote:
Dave Cohen wrote:
Take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/6nnehk
I don't know how it's done (suggestions welcome), but I thought it was
quite impressive.

Firefox with FlashBlocker activated shows only a black window with an
arrow, indicating that the page is using some Flash. Against better
judgement I activated the Flash. Despite DSL it took too long to load
for my patience, therefore a definite no-go for me.

Plain HTML with embedded pictures still works best!

jue

There are many legitimate uses for Flash animation, but some sites
really go overboard, using it for EVERYTHING, and wasting bandwidth, and
cpu cycles with overhead.
Old May 2nd 09, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

ray wrote:
On Fri, 01 May 2009 22:11:05 -0400, Dave Cohen wrote:

Take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/6nnehk
I don't know how it's done (suggestions welcome), but I thought it
was quite impressive.
Dave Cohen

Footnote indicates it's a 'flash'. I'd be more impressed if he just
brought the damned picture up instead of wasting my time and bandwidth
with the animation.

Kind of hard to do a 4 pi steradian view with zoom by just "bringing up the
damned picture". While I'm no fan of Flash that's one example of
appropriate use IMO.

Old May 2nd 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

J. Clarke wrote:
ray wrote:
On Fri, 01 May 2009 22:11:05 -0400, Dave Cohen wrote:

Take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/6nnehk
I don't know how it's done (suggestions welcome), but I thought it
was quite impressive.
Dave Cohen

Footnote indicates it's a 'flash'. I'd be more impressed if he just
brought the damned picture up instead of wasting my time and bandwidth
with the animation.

Kind of hard to do a 4 pi steradian view with zoom by just "bringing up the
damned picture". While I'm no fan of Flash that's one example of
appropriate use IMO.

Indeed it is, and pretty well done in this case.
Old May 2nd 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Not Given[_2_]

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
Dave Cohen wrote:
Take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/6nnehk
I don't know how it's done (suggestions welcome), but I thought it was
quite impressive.

Firefox with FlashBlocker activated shows only a black window with an
arrow, indicating that the page is using some Flash. Against better
judgement I activated the Flash. Despite DSL it took too long to load
for my patience, therefore a definite no-go for me.

Plain HTML with embedded pictures still works best!

jue

Pretty much impossible to do a 360 degree spherical VR pan image without
Flash or Java. Huge file, but outstanding image.

Old May 2nd 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2009-05-01 19:11:05 -0700, Dave Cohen said:

Take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/6nnehk
I don't know how it's done (suggestions welcome), but I thought it was
quite impressive.
Dave Cohen

Yup! A Flash multi-stitch, mulit-axis 360 horizontal & 180 vertical
panorama.
This is similar to the technique used for the multi-stitch shot at the
Obama inauguration.
http://www.davidbergman.net/blog/200...gural-address/

My
broadband was able to serve it up promptly, without the problems
reported by others.
I can appreciate all of the issues related to Flash, but it works well
in my environment.

Plays/displays just fine in Safari, Mac,. at least as far as navigation
goes. Does not zoom in or out, dunno if it's supposed to.

Here are the error messages that display at the bottom:

NFO: registered to: julian kalmar
ERROR: loading plugin "flashutilities/buttons/btn_closefs.jpg" failed
ERROR: loading plugin "flashutilities/buttons/btn_up.jpg" failed
ERROR: loading plugin "flashutilities/fs.png" failed
ERROR: loading plugin "flashutilities/buttons/btn_openfs.jpg" failed
ERROR: loading plugin "flashutilities/buttons/btn_down.jpg" failed
ERROR: loading plugin "flashutilities/buttons/btn_right.jpg" failed
ERROR: loading plugin "flashutilities/buttons/btn_minus.jpg" failed
ERROR: loading plugin "flashutilities/buttons/btn_left.jpg" failed
ERROR: loading plugin "flashutilities/plugins/options.swf" failed

With all those 'failures', I am surprised I could navigate.
Lovely work!

--
John McWilliams
Old May 2nd 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

On 2009-05-01 19:11:05 -0700, Dave Cohen said:

Take a look at this:
[...]

You might have better luck with the Mac version of Firefox.