Reluctant Wedding Photographer

Old November 6th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sparky[_3_]

Default Reluctant Wedding Photographer

On Nov 5, 4:24 pm, Pat wrote:
On Nov 5, 4:06 pm, "Mike Russell" -

MOVE wrote:
"Juan Moore Beer" wrote in ...

My niece has asked me to be her wedding photographer, and it is giving me
nightmares.

Good advice from Cynicor. I would add, regarding his 4th point:
4. Scout the location out in advance.

Go to the wedding rehearsal, and take large numbers of images. Use bounce
flash or available light, and have a set of standard poses rehearsed and
ready. Bride going down the aisle with father, kiss at the altar, cutting
the cake, first dance, etc. Also have several group shots ready. Each of
these should, ideally, be written down and gone over with the principals at
the rehearsal or even earlier. Bring extra batteries, and a spare camera if
possible. Be bold, and get in people's faces until they start ignoring you,
which is when you'll get the good "candid" shots.

For printing, it's hard to beat one of the online services. Upload all the
images, and send the best 50 percent of the images as 4x6's to the families.
They can then order larger prints, as necessary, online.
--
Mike Russell -www.curvemeister.com

To clarify (I hope) what Mike said, doubt if meant "standard poses"
but instead meant "standard shots". You really don't want to pose
things like that, for a number of reasons.

Mike also suggested using a bounce flash or natural light, if
possible. That is good advice, but I'm not sure you'll want to do
that on your first wedding. For a novice, I don't think it would be
out of line to shoot straight on with a flash (on a bracket) with no
diffuser, no nothing.. He has too many other things to pay attention
to.

As for an on-line service, only use one that uses Kodak (and
preferably Kodak professional) processing. It's that much better for
portraiture.

oh and if you want to look professional dont look like you care much
about who's view your blocking...
dont be shy... take lots of pics, who knows one of those extra shots
might be your best

Old November 6th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article 1194293950.153754@ftpsrv1, frederick wrote:

Having a bad hair day Mr Strat?

Yuk...yuk...

It seemed like a pretty reasonable post. I'm sure that many
amateur photogs get asked to do weddings. If you don't
get asked, perhaps that's a reflection on how people
perceive your abilities.

I closed the studio in 1995 after photographing 600-700 weddings, yet I
still get people asking if I do weddings/portraits. I think I've done
enough.
Old November 6th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Cynicor
wrote:

1. Don't listen to people telling you that you won't know what to do.
2. Take more photos than you need. You never know what expressions
you'll get on people's faces, and you can't redo a wedding.
3. It is important to make the bride and the bride's mother look good.
No one else matters.
4. Scout the location out in advance.
5. Bring two flashes and about 40 AA batteries.
6. Bring two camera bodies. Have someone else use the other one if
possible. (I let my 10-year-old daughter use one at the last wedding I
did, and she ended up with a batch of eye-level photos of the kids there
that we would not otherwise have had.)
7. Use the two to three lenses you're most comfortable with, preferably
with wide apertures.
8. Bring two or more memory cards, and shoot in RAW.
9. Talk to everyone in advance to find out what shots they want from you.
10. Elbow the hell out of everyone to get to the position you want. Make
sure it's OK to move discreetly around the ceremony, and get the best
angle.
11. Don't stuff shrimp into your jacket pockets.
12. Don't wear a Miami Dolphins mesh half-shirt.
13. Don't try to catch the bouquet.

Make sure you put that flash right on the camera and set everything to
AUTO.
Old November 6th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Juan Moore Beer
wrote:

That is what I am hoping for. I tried to explain that I did not have one.

Then you should be a guest instead of *the* photographer.
Old November 6th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Morton

Juan Moore Beer wrote:
My niece has asked me to be her wedding photographer, and it is giving me
nightmares.

You know the screnario, two very young kids, in love and in trouble, and
are getting married on a very tight budget.

I visited her father last weekend, and she saw a handful of photos I took
throughout the weekend and decided I was her man.

Under the circumstances, there is no possibility of refusing, and I would
only want to because I doubt my ability to make it special.

As you may know from my very few posts here I am new to the digital arena,
and my film experience is severely limited and dated.

I think I know the very basics about what to take with me, (Extra
batteries, memory, etc.) but would appreciate any free advice.

My very short list of available equipment is as follows:
Cameras:
Canon D400
Canon Rebel G (I would probably not take this, unles someone convinces me
otherwise)
Lenses:
18-55
55-200 (From the old Rebel G)
Kit lense from the rebel G (I forget exactly what that is at the moment)
Flash
Canon 430EX
Tripods (One large and one mini.)

Is there anything I absolutely must have besides what is listed here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Hi,

Remember to do close ups of small things: wedding cake including couple
on top, knife and server for cake, place cards, kids faces. Also, take
the obligatory shots of each table showing all the guests' faces. Back
up the memory cards as soon as the shooting is over; you don't want a
computer or printer to delete any photos.
Good luck.

Morton
Old November 6th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian[_7_]

Remember to do close ups of small things: wedding cake including couple
on top, knife and server for cake, place cards, kids faces. Also, take
the obligatory shots of each table showing all the guests' faces. Back
up the memory cards as soon as the shooting is over; you don't want a
computer or printer to delete any photos.
Good luck.

Morton

Good points about the "small things."

The rings:

http://tinyurl.com/2jyfme

The outside of the church.

Get a shot of the bride and groom looking at their rings. Preferably in
available light next to a window or stain glass window:

http://tinyurl.com/345knz

Get a partner, specifically the opposite sex so they can go into their
respective sex dressing room. Pictures of the best man helping the
groom get dressed. Straightening the tie....

And yes, I second the flash bracket and sync cord.

Good luck.

Brian

Brian J. Rueger "Who dares wins"
Capt.(Ret)/Paramedic Hampton, VA.
B.S.Comm/I/Pilot MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199
Check out my personal home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Check out my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/member/skypilot
Check out some of my other photography: http://tinyurl.com/or7kc
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
Old November 6th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Juan Moore Beer

On Nov 5 2007 8:51 PM, Mr. Strat wrote:

In article , Juan Moore Beer
wrote:

That is what I am hoping for. I tried to explain that I did not have one.

Then you should be a guest instead of *the* photographer.

I don't get it. I tried to explain the circumstances surrounding this
wedding, then even agreed with you after your little slam to my very
honest request.

I am not suggesting that I can be as great as you are in 8 weeks. Nor am
I taking any money from you or a fellow professional. If these pictures
aren't taken by Uncle Dan, it will be by little brother Robbie and his
camera phone or not at all.

These photos will not be of a quality that some of you take for granted
and I suspect you would find the final product to be laughable. I will
miss a lot of important moments, but the photos will be taken with as much
care as I am able to understand between now and then, and they will be
taken with the love an Uncle has for a terrific niece in need.

Is it just that I am a rank amateur cluttering up the group? It seems to
me that it should be more palatable than the guys selling shoes. Maybe
any posting amateurs should start each subject with "I don't know ****
but...", so that you can filter us all out.

Really, I just love my small time type of photography and am trying to get
a little better.

You got a problem with that?

__________________________________________________ ____________________*

Old November 6th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Juan Moore Beer wrote:
These photos will not be of a quality that some of you take for
granted and I suspect you would find the final product to be
laughable. I will miss a lot of important moments, but the photos
will be taken with as much care as I am able to understand between
now and then, and they will be taken with the love an Uncle has for a
terrific niece in need.

I salute you! I takes guts to stand up like this and speak out against the
madness of "the perfect day". It seems indeed that people forgot what that
day is about. It is not about the most expensive rings or the largest number
of guests or the most elaborate gown. After all there is no law against
wedding in jeans and t-shirt with photos taken with a cell phone. Although I
have to admit that it's probably a better idea to dress up a little bit and
bring a real camera.

I am sure with your love as an uncle you will be much more important to her
than a famous photographer charging 5000$ could ever be.

jue

Old November 6th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris W

Juan Moore Beer wrote:

I don't get it. I tried to explain the circumstances surrounding this
wedding, then even agreed with you after your little slam to my very
honest request.

Anyone who read your post, has even the most basic understanding of the
human condition, and was willing and able to give you advice, would have
done just that.

Mr Strat, may or may not be a good photographer, I don't know and I
don't care. What I do know is that either he didn't read your post,
can't read, or is simply an inept clueless moron. In any case, he is
clearly the one who needs to get a clue.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Ham Radio Repeater Database.
http://hrrdb.com
Old November 6th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Juan Moore Beer
wrote:

You got a problem with that?

I've got a problem with unqualified people photographing
once-in-a-lifetime events. I've seen way too many instances where
they've screwed it up.