Nikon D50, is it even worth it?

Old April 13th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Nikon D50, is it even worth it?

Great! But how can you stand to wait that long? Which lens did you decide
on?

When I bought my camera for Christmas, I made myself wait till the "opening
of the gifts"... it was torture, but I did take the battery out and charge
it. So it was ready to go when I opened my "surprise" Ha Ha.

Umm... do you realize that you can change the settings so that you can take
a picture without the sd card? of course you can't do anything with it, but
it's good fun. That's how they have the demo cameras setup in the stores.

[Press menu, use left - toggle down to the icon that looks like a pencil,
04 "No SD Card, enable the release] when you get a card, be sure to change
the setting back to "LOCK"

Have fun

Rina

"sgtdisturbed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, well, for now, I will let this question die, since I bought it
today. It feels perfect in my hands, and operates seamlessly. I cant
even notice any shutter release lag that I used to get with my Nikon
N55 film SLR, it is instant, and feels smooth as silk when the shutter
releases, unlike the N55 where the shutter would shake the camera a
good bit. I love it, but I cant say anything about picture quality yet,
as I haven't bought a memory card. I will have to buy the memory card
in a couple of weeks when I get more money.

Old April 13th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

OK, so you did find the setting for the SD card...

The built in memory is for the camera settings, date & time, custom setups,
etc. The memory holds those setting when you remove the battery.

You are one step ahead of me... I've never tried to connect my camera to my
computer. I never even opened the little door, until now. (I use a card
reader)

Rina

"sgtdisturbed" wrote in message
ups.com...
Uhm, doesn't this camera have
some kind of built-in memory? When I took some pictures and tried to
hook it up my computer, I clicked on the camera when it became
available in the My Computer field, but only the SD card drive showed
up. Is there a setting on the camera that I have to change? I can't
find any setting to use the built-in memory.

Old April 14th 06, 07:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Well, I bought a 256 meg sd card, and took a couple of pics. In raw
format, they look flawless, but once I saved them to JPEG they took a
digital beating and look a little less awesome. Here they a
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...bed47/leaf.jpg and
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...7/6ed6a223.jpg

Old April 14th 06, 08:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

The lens that came with it is a 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6. It doesn't seem to
have a great zoom, and doesn't give a very wide angle, but I think it
will work for now.

Old April 18th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
ASAAR wrote:

On 13 Apr 2006 02:01:45 -0700, sgtdisturbed wrote:

Ok, well, for now, I will let this question die, since I bought it
today. It feels perfect in my hands, and operates seamlessly. I cant
even notice any shutter release lag that I used to get with my Nikon
N55 film SLR, it is instant, and feels smooth as silk when the shutter
releases, unlike the N55 where the shutter would shake the camera a
good bit. I love it, but I cant say anything about picture quality yet,
as I haven't bought a memory card. I will have to buy the memory card
in a couple of weeks when I get more money.

Congratulations! But several weeks is a long time to admire your
D50 without being able to use it at all. I don't know what very
small (such as 32MB or 64MB) used memory cards go for on eBay or
other places, but they should be *very* inexpensive. One of them
would give you a chance to play with the camera, and more
importantly, check it out in case there's anything wrong with it.
If there is, I'd much rather have it replaced with a new camera from
the store that sold it to me than to have to wait for Nikon to
repair it or, more likely, take a few weeks or more to replace it
with a refurbished camera.

This is true.

When I got my D70s I found that it was faulty, but only in one respect
-- the wireless communications with an off-camera SB-600 flash was not
working. I spent hours trying to figure out what I'd done wrong and
took it back to the store the next day. The salesman looked at me like
I was stupid but allowed that he'd "had that feature working once but it
was tricky", but was busy with people who, like, y'know, might actually
buy something (I wasn't a customer any more, having already handed over
my money) but he'd have a look when he got a few spare minutes. I asked
him to hand me the display D70 and SB600 while I was waiting. Two
minute slater I had the display D70s and display flash working
wirelessly (proving that I *had* understood the manual correctly) and
had my flash working with the display camera, but my camera wouldn't
make either flash work. I got a bit more respect then.

If you have a fault like this then it's *really* important to be able to
take it back right away. That resulted in an immediate swap of my box
of goodies for another box off the shelf, and the original one returned
to Nikon as DOA.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old April 18th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
"sgtdisturbed" wrote:

The lens that came with it is a 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6. It doesn't seem to
have a great zoom, and doesn't give a very wide angle,

Yes, that's what we told you.

but I think it will work for now.

Have fun!

--