Nikon D50, is it even worth it?

Old April 11th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Nikon D50, is it even worth it?

http://joan.colley.name:85/NEF/

But how will you read it? You'll need a recent version of a raw converter.

--
Joan.
http://joan.colley.name:85
"sgtdisturbed" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Is there a way that I could see a copy of the nef raw picture? I
: couldnt find any nef uncompressed pictures for this one: dsc_4169, the
: one with the moon in blue sky. Could you send me a better copy than the
: online compressed one?
:

Old April 11th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

sgtdisturbed wrote:
snip Again, as a simple
recap, does the D50 have the kind of noise that the Coolpix 4600
produces, will the lowest setting on the camera 200 ISO produce much
noise, and pretty much, is it worth the money, like, is it a good
deal? Thanks for any help!

The D50 will have much less noise than the Coolpix 4600 for many
reasons. Yes, it is worth the money. You would have to shoot at ISO
1600 to get as much noise as any Coolpix.

Old April 11th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I found a free program to view the RAW picture, and that was a very
very nice picture, it handled the light blue very well, but that is
mostly blue, do you have some RAW pictures that have more colors so I
can get a better idea of the overall color and noise handling? Thanks.
It handled blue very well on a large area, so I want to see how well it
handles other colors. Again, thanks!

Old April 11th 06, 07:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Did you see the green wave on my flickr site?

I should point out that the moon and the green wave were shot with a Hoya
SMC CP Filter. The wave that is less green was shot after I switched filers
and is with a Hoya SMC UV Filter.

I'll put both raw files on the web site and anther shot with some flowers in
it.

As for colour, take a look at the Buddy Bears.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in...7594077613994/

--
Joan.
http://joan.colley.name:85
oups.com...

Old April 11th 06, 09:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Yes I saw the green wave, but not in RAW format. Could you give me a
link to the RAW format green wave? The site doesnt give me any options
to view it in RAW or to download it in RAW format, and if there is such
an option, it is well hidden.

Old April 11th 06, 09:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

It's on my home server. Click the link below

--
Joan.
http://joan.colley.name:85/nef

Old April 11th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Beautiful pictures, much better color than what the Coolpix 4600 could
produce unaided by Photoshop CS2. But, on the Moon and non-filter
pictures, the corners are darkened. Is this becasue of the lighting, or
mabe the lens? They are great pictures, and they would likely make
perfect prints, but the darkened corners are something Im not used to
seeing on the 4600, and if the pics taken with the 4600 didnt have
this, its not this noticable. Here is a couple of pictures taken with
my 4600:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...7/DSCN2421.jpg and
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...7/DSCN2423.jpg .
Im pretty sure that the exif data is still there, but take a look.

Old April 11th 06, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Never mind, photobucket didnt do what I asuemd it would... Anyway, the
closeup of the yellow flower was taken with the following settings:

File size: 123026 bytes
File date: 2006:04:11 02:59:07
Camera make: NIKON
Camera model: E4600
Date/Time: 2006:03:07 17:48:11
Resolution: 572 x 428
Flash used: Yes (auto)
Focal length: 8.4mm
Exposure time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Apertu f/5.6
ISO equiv.: 50
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposu program (auto)

and the Snapdragons were taken with these settings:

File size: 149892 bytes
File date: 2006:04:11 02:59:06
Camera make: NIKON
Camera model: E4600
Date/Time: 2006:03:07 17:46:38
Resolution: 428 x 572
Flash used: No
Focal length: 7.7mm
Exposure time: 0.0043 s (1/234)
Apertu f/5.4
ISO equiv.: 50
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposu program (auto)

Old April 11th 06, 10:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Before I look at your shots, I'll just reply to the corner question.
The 18-200 has vignetting from 70mm to 200mm. I don't find it a
problem as the raw converter in Photoshop has a vignette correction
gauge. I usually use +20 to +30 setting and the converted image is
fine.

--
Joan