prosumer future

Old March 4th 05, 03:04 AM
.::SuperBLUE::.

Default prosumer future

Does anyone have any info about what will the next prosumer generation
cameras look like? How many "megapixels"?
The next generation of sony 828, nikon 8800?

Old March 4th 05, 04:54 AM
Skip M

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote in message
Does anyone have any info about what will the next prosumer generation
cameras look like? How many "megapixels"?
The next generation of sony 828, nikon 8800?

And a sincere one, too. If the Sony 828 and Nikon 8800 are "prosumer"
cameras, then what is the Canon 20D? In the film days, cameras like the
Canon A2 were prosumer SLRs, slotted below the pro level 1n, but above the
consumer Rebel and Elan. The 20D slots below the 1D mkII and 1Ds mkII, and
above the Rebel. Wouldn't that make it a "prosumer" camera?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 4th 05, 05:56 AM
Steven M. Scharf

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote in message
Does anyone have any info about what will the next prosumer generation
cameras look like? How many "megapixels"?
The next generation of sony 828, nikon 8800?

They've about maxxed out the resolution, unless someone decides to do a
larger sensor, and/or a CMOS sensor.

I'd almost say that the next prosumer camera is a consumer D-SLR like the
EOS-350D.

Old March 4th 05, 07:52 AM
David J Taylor

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
".::SuperBLUE::." wrote in message
Does anyone have any info about what will the next prosumer
generation cameras look like? How many "megapixels"?
The next generation of sony 828, nikon 8800?

They've about maxxed out the resolution, unless someone decides to do
a larger sensor, and/or a CMOS sensor.

I'd almost say that the next prosumer camera is a consumer D-SLR like
the EOS-350D.

Agreed about resolution - possibly 7Mp is a better compromise than 8Mp.

I would have bought the 8800 if its lens hadn't been so small an aperture
at full zoom (f/4.9), and people still complain about the slow speeds of
many cameras, so there are two areas which could be improved. Selling
speed isn't as easy as selling on number of megapixels, of course! I'd
also like to see the image-stabilised zooms come down from the focal
length range 36 - 432mm (Panasonic FZ20) to 24 - 288mm, but that's
optically much more challenging. How about building lens distortion
correction into the firmware?

Cheers,
David

Old March 4th 05, 04:28 PM
bmoag

The EVF cameras are a new form factor. Most writers on this newsgroup cannot
wrap their head around that after a lifetime of SLR use and the mantra of
interchangeable lenses.
The digital world is not shackled to fixed optico-mechanical limitations.
If software could be used, in camera or in computer, to correct or create
lens aberrations effects, why would one need or want an SLR with its larger
and heavier form factor? The optical and mechanical properties of any
individual lens will be far less important than they are now. This is
already happening.
If the lens is fixed to the camera, as with EVF/prosumer cameras the design
of such software is made much easier.
A second line of development, also easier if the lens is fixed to the
camera, would involve in camera processing of data coming off the sensor to
widen the apparent exposure latitude of the sensor. A simple example would
be the ability to selectively decrease the signal amplitude coming off the
highlights to minimize blow-out of details in the highlights.
As sensor technology develops sensor size will not be the over-rated issue
it is today. Canon went to 8mps in its dSLR without increasing sensor size
and by most reports I have read that sensor has less noise than the Canon
6mp dSLR sensor.
Since I use both EVF and dSLR cameras I will just say that people who have
not extensively worked with the images created by current 8mp EVF cameras
have no idea what they are talking about. My experience is that these
cameras used properly create images superior to identical images created
with current 6mp dSLRS simply because of the apparent sharpness added by
those 2mps of image data.
I have more bad images because of moire and fringing with my Nikon D70 than
with my Sony 828. The amount of software sharpening required for printing
many D70 images is such that it is difficult to avoid a halo effect that is
far worse than any fringing at high contrast boundaries in images made with
current 8mp sensors.

Old March 4th 05, 05:16 PM

The cameras you talk about are (at best) mid-range consumer cameras.
Prosumer does not start until you get past the 300D, D70, *1Ds, and E1
cameras;

Old March 4th 05, 05:16 PM
Chris Brown

bmoag wrote:
The EVF cameras are a new form factor. Most writers on this newsgroup cannot
wrap their head around that after a lifetime of SLR use and the mantra of
interchangeable lenses.
The digital world is not shackled to fixed optico-mechanical limitations.
If software could be used, in camera or in computer, to correct or create
lens aberrations effects, why would one need or want an SLR with its larger
and heavier form factor?

Because a) they can take pictures which are not possible to take on a
zoom-compact digicam, regardless of whether it has an EVF of not, and b) the
image quality is better.
Old March 4th 05, 05:20 PM
measekite

What is the difference between a ccd sensor and a cmos senser that makes
more advancements in resolution using a cmos?

Old March 4th 05, 05:52 PM
jimkramer

"bmoag" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I'm shooting with a Sony F828 and a Canon 10D. The 10D surpasses the image
quality of the F828 hands down both in overall print quality and at an
individual pixel level. The 2 megapixels of extra data aren't significant
in terms of the picture quality.
Are you just using the kit lens with the D70? If so, try some better glass
and compare again.

Jim Kramer