Wedding Photography

Old February 4th 05, 10:06 PM
Dennis Bradley

snipped

I wonder if the convention is different in different countries. Over
here, wedding photographers tend to do posed group shots. "reportage"
style is becoming popular, but AFAIK it's stil a minority taste.

Andrew.

Hello neighbour....I live over here too :-))

Old February 4th 05, 11:40 PM
Inaccessible

"Dennis Bradley"
wrote:

snipped

I wonder if the convention is different in different countries. Over
here, wedding photographers tend to do posed group shots. "reportage"
style is becoming popular, but AFAIK it's stil a minority taste.

Andrew.

Hello neighbour....I live over here too :-))

Back to Andrews statement, if your not doing some of both
more than likely the customer is not happy.
Old February 5th 05, 07:51 PM
Smeltsmoke

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:59:46 -0000, lid
wrote:

ZONED! wrote:
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:12:31 +0200, Ken Tough

I'm finding the replies to this thread interesting, and perhaps rather
surprising. When my wife and I decided to get married, we decided very
quickly that there was no way we were going to have a professional
photographer present. Photographers dominate the post-wedding
activities, even to the extent of trying to choreograph such activities
as throwing confetti and greeting the bride and groom. In my
experience this is an intolerable intrusion.

We made sure our photog knew we didn't want this, didn't want more
than a very few posed shots, and ruled out any shots during the
ceremony itself. (Though we knew this guy and his work and style
and knew he'd never do those things...)l It worked out great.

Any good pro photog would not intrude in such a way, rather blend
in...

I wonder if the convention is different in different countries. Over
here, wedding photographers tend to do posed group shots. "reportage"
style is becoming popular, but AFAIK it's stil a minority taste.

Andrew.

Ok, everybody shoots a wedding slightly differently (some less slight
than others) It is commonplace in most that I have shot to shoot posed
"call backs" directly after the ceremony around the altar or place
where the ceremony took place. It is not uncommon to avoid flash
photography (this does not include amateurs, friends and Aunt Martha)
during the ceremony. Most of the rest are candids within a reception,
save for any portraits pre-ceremony of the couple. The call backs are
shot in a fast, professional and non-invasive manner with as little
audience as possible. The candids are also shot as non invasively as
possible. Being invisible is always desired even on the occasion where
you may have to help others who forget their timing or cues. Most pro
wedding photogs have been to a lot more weddings that the average
guest even some other hired help...
Old February 6th 05, 04:01 AM
Voice Only

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:23:46 -0000, "John Ortt"
wrote:

My fiancee and I are getting married later this year and my father is keep
to rattle off some shots on our EOS 300D

He will probrably be standing next to a pro photographer anyway so the
setting and lighting should be fairly good..

Hi, I have been doing wedding video since, 1988 and started on
photog last year, and I can tell you from a video point of view, having
someone trail me during the day is nothing less than annoying, and they tend
to get in my way if I need to move quickly.
Do everyone that day a favor, ask your dad to stay clear of the
professionals you hired, otherwise, don't hire them.

Which reminds me.......We also need to find a pro photographer in the Cavan
area of Ireland.....any recommendations?

My family comes from County Clare, Kilmihil and have always wanted
to see the area, if you're willing to fly me over there, put me and my
assistant in a room for a few days, no charge for the photo's.

Bob
Old February 6th 05, 04:10 AM
Mick Brown

(Smeltsmoke) wrote in
:

wrote:

ZONED! wrote:
[...]

When I have to shoot a wedding I meet with the couple and work out what
they require, generally it goes a bit like this:

Candid Bride & Bridesmaids & Mother getting ready shots (maybe a couple of
fun posed shots, if they feel like it and have time)
Candid before ceremony shots (groom waiting, bride getting out of car etc)
Candid Walking down isle shots
Candid Alter shots (shoot the ceremony as it takes place)
Posed Certificate shots
Candid Confettit/rice/bubble shots outside
Posed, what I call oldies shots, these are the stiff posed shots with the
family, generally around the church grounds somewhere, I hate doing these
shots but is generally agreed that they need to be done to keep the oldies
happy.

Then it is pre-arranged with the couple to do the posed shots between this
time and the reception. Eg. Beach, park, any other sites that they feel
they want to do. NOBODY BUT THE WEDDING PARTY ARE INVITED. This is to
keep it as quick as possible and to stop every man and his dog wanting to
do shots as well. This usually takes around an hour to an hour and a half.
95% of the time this is possible as a lot of the weddings here in Australia
as there is a big time gap between the ceremony and the reception. I
generally takea bottle or 2 of champagne (my gift to the couple) and this
is drank in this time, to relax their nerves a bit for the pics and let
them relax a little before hitting the reception. The shots I do in this
time, while stated are "posed" they are really anything that takes mine and
the couples fancy, we usually have a lot of fun doing it this way, I'm not
talking about the stiff posed shots of yesteryear.

I then shoot ahead of the couple to the reception, I take shots of the
wedding party as they are announced, take a couple of quick "dummy cake
cutting shots and that is it. 99% of the time if asked to do reception, I
tell them it will be a lot cheaper and more fun if they put a disposable
camera on each table.

All the time I am shooting the candids, you would hardly know I'm there.

Mick Brown
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown