How should I permanently store digital photographs?

Old January 3rd 05, 12:11 PM
H. Huntzinger

DC wrote:

I'm pretty close to buying a digital camera. One concern I have is
the long term storage of the images. I have serious questions about
the reliability of optical media (based on reported issues with CDRs
not being readable after a few years). Hard disks fail and I don't
consider tape a reliable storage medium for the long term. Perhaps
because I work in IT support I'm overly cynical about the hardware
involved.

Same here.

One tip I would give, always keep more than one copy of data (or
images) you can't afford to lose.

A tip that Pro Norbert Wu gave me awhile back for PC-based backups was
to look into USB/FW external peripheral that uses hard drives on
removable sleds: you need one reader box, 3 sleds, and 3 160GB ATA
drives, and if you shop around and DIY the assembly, its under $500.

-hh
Old January 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
Clyde

George Kerby wrote:

On 1/2/05 11:52 AM, in article ,
"bob" wrote:

wrote in news:1103725728.795292.265670
:

So what would you guys say is the best file type, media format and
media type to use if I want them to be easily accessible for decades?

Archival prints.

(With Photoshop .psd, .tif, and .jpg on harddrive as backup).

Bob

AND a CD or DVD backup of that drive which WILL eventually fail...

Yes, so? What backup method won't eventually fail? HDs fail, CDs fail,
tape fails, even paper fails. So, you don't just backup and forget. You
backup and test the backup media. Every so often, you rebackup.

Clyde
Old January 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
Clyde