Fuji's XF 100-400mm zoom beats Nikon's 300mm f/4.0 VR prime.

Old August 4th 16, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Fuji's XF 100-400mm zoom beats Nikon's 300mm f/4.0 VR prime.

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

If you're shooing birds at high speeds, VR only slows things down. I
find I get better focus tracking without VR.

Has that actually been documented by anybody, other than with your
personal experience?
...or is that some sort of unverified speculation?

VR/OS was on for this shot.
https://db.tt/FChe5Y5t

See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/33448760 for comments on the
effect of VR on focussing.

not much there other than people guessing.

In http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm Thom Hogan explains why VR
should be switched off unless you actually need it.

that doesn't address focus speed issues. he's also being misleading.

And another explanation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...ns/image-stabi
lization-when-use-it-and-when-turn-it
or http://tinyurl.com/pvvubgh

more fluff.

I think Peter is right (but maybe for the wrong reasons?).

he's wrong.

vr *helps* autofocus speed because with the image stabilized, the focus
points can remain on the same parts of the image.

without stabilization, the subject will be bouncing around, making it
very difficult for autofocus to track and/or lock.
Old August 4th 16, 11:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 09:44:59 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 08:43:01 -0700, Savageduck

On 2016-08-04 14:53:08 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/3/2016 4:56 PM, RichA wrote:
I saw it in a magazine, a convincing win for the Fuji despite the fact
it was a zoom against a prime lens. Nikon's earlier 300mm lenses can
be had for half the price, but are not recommended as they have no VR.
Both Fuji and Nikon run about $2000.00.

If you're shooing birds at high speeds, VR only slows things down. I
find I get better focus tracking without VR.

Has that actually been documented by anybody, other than with your
personal experience?
...or is that some sort of unverified speculation?

VR/OS was on for this shot.
https://db.tt/FChe5Y5t

See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/33448760 for comments on the
effect of VR on focussing.

From 2009.

In http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm Thom Hogan explains why VR
should be switched off unless you actually need it.

From 2010.

And another explanation
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...d-when-turn-it
or http://tinyurl.com/pvvubgh

Don't know when that's from, but things have certainly progressed
since 2010, plus that Hogan character seems like a bit of a flake, at
least on a quick read. I could be wrong about that, though.
Old August 4th 16, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...ions/image-sta

bilization-when-use-it-and-when-turn-it
or http://tinyurl.com/pvvubgh

Don't know when that's from, but things have certainly progressed
since 2010, plus that Hogan character seems like a bit of a flake, at
least on a quick read. I could be wrong about that, though.

he's not a flake, but he's often wrong.
Old August 4th 16, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Don't know when that's from, but things have certainly progressed
since 2010, plus that Hogan character seems like a bit of a flake, at
least on a quick read. I could be wrong about that, though.

I haven't been following this thread, but Tim Grey just wrote on the
subject of hummingbirds and VR:

http://asktimgrey.com/

It's the August 4 "Stabilizing with Fast Shutter" issue in case a
later date opens at that link.

use the actual link rather than inconvenience the user.
http://asktimgrey.com/2016/08/04/stabilization-with-fast-shutter/
Old August 5th 16, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 18:45:58 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Don't know when that's from, but things have certainly progressed
since 2010, plus that Hogan character seems like a bit of a flake, at
least on a quick read. I could be wrong about that, though.

I haven't been following this thread, but Tim Grey just wrote on the
subject of hummingbirds and VR:

http://asktimgrey.com/

It's the August 4 "Stabilizing with Fast Shutter" issue in case a
later date opens at that link.

use the actual link rather than inconvenience the user.
http://asktimgrey.com/2016/08/04/stabilization-with-fast-shutter/

What is the virtue of the longer URL?

They both get to the same place.

Eric Stevens
Old August 5th 16, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I haven't been following this thread, but Tim Grey just wrote on the
subject of hummingbirds and VR:

http://asktimgrey.com/

It's the August 4 "Stabilizing with Fast Shutter" issue in case a
later date opens at that link.

use the actual link rather than inconvenience the user.
http://asktimgrey.com/2016/08/04/stabilization-with-fast-shutter/

What is the virtue of the longer URL?

it's a direct link to the article.

They both get to the same place.

no they don't.
Old August 5th 16, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-04 14:53:08 +0000, PeterN said:
On 8/3/2016 4:56 PM, RichA wrote:
I saw it in a magazine, a convincing win for the Fuji despite the fact
it was a zoom against a prime lens. Nikon's earlier 300mm lenses can
be had for half the price, but are not recommended as they have no VR.
Both Fuji and Nikon run about $2000.00.

If you're shooing birds at high speeds, VR only slows things down. I
find I get better focus tracking without VR.

Has that actually been documented by anybody, other than with your
personal experience?
...or is that some sort of unverified speculation?

VR/OS was on for this shot.
https://db.tt/FChe5Y5t

See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/33448760 for comments on the
effect of VR on focussing.

From 2009.

In http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm Thom Hogan explains why VR
should be switched off unless you actually need it.

From 2010.

And another explanation
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...d-when-turn-it

or

http://tinyurl.com/pvvubgh

Don't know when that's from, but things have certainly progressed
since 2010, plus that Hogan character seems like a bit of a flake, at
least on a quick read. I could be wrong about that, though.

I haven't been following this thread, but Tim Grey just wrote on the
subject of hummingbirds and VR:

http://asktimgrey.com/

It's the August 4 "Stabilizing with Fast Shutter" issue in case a
later date opens at that link.

That makes the most sense. In fact the only reason the VR/OS was on for
the shot I posted was because I neglected to turn it off.

VR/OS is typically most beneficial when it comes to gaining some
headroom at lower shutter speeds and lower ISO values when shootig
handheld.

Savageduck

Old August 5th 16, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-04 23:28:27 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I haven't been following this thread, but Tim Grey just wrote on the
subject of hummingbirds and VR:

http://asktimgrey.com/

It's the August 4 "Stabilizing with Fast Shutter" issue in case a
later date opens at that link.

use the actual link rather than inconvenience the user.
http://asktimgrey.com/2016/08/04/stabilization-with-fast-shutter/

What is the virtue of the longer URL?

it's a direct link to the article.

They both get to the same place.

no they don't.

They did on this Mac.

Savageduck

Old August 5th 16, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 18:06:49 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

If you're shooing birds at high speeds, VR only slows things down. I
find I get better focus tracking without VR.

vr and focusing are two independent systems, however, vr actually
*helps* focus tracking because the target is stabilized and not moving
all over the place.

Should be true since the lense, at least Nikons have their own processor:

http://www.nikon.com/about/technolog...vr_e/index.htm

The autofocus is processed in the camera:

http://www.nikon.com/about/technolog.../caf/index.htm

Nevertheless there is a short delay after pushing the shutter release
fully down while the VR set centres and commences it's new movement.

so what?

that has nothing to do with focus speed.

it's only an initial delay and once stabilized, there aren't any
further delays.

the autofocus system may also have to rack the lens, so there may be a
delay there too.

I took Peter to mean a delay between pushing the button and and the
camera taking a photograph. I presume he has shutter release set to
focus priority.

Eric Stevens
Old August 5th 16, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I haven't been following this thread, but Tim Grey just wrote on the
subject of hummingbirds and VR:

http://asktimgrey.com/

It's the August 4 "Stabilizing with Fast Shutter" issue in case a
later date opens at that link.

use the actual link rather than inconvenience the user.
http://asktimgrey.com/2016/08/04/stabilization-with-fast-shutter/

What is the virtue of the longer URL?

it's a direct link to the article.

They both get to the same place.

no they don't.

They did on this Mac.

no they didn't.

one's the entire site and the other is just the one article.

today, it happens that the most recent article is the stabilization
article, but if you scroll to the bottom on each link, you'll see older
articles with the first link but not with the second.

as he updates the site with new articles, what you see with the first
link will change, while the second one will always be the stabilization
article.