I'm in the process of building a new computer ....

Old August 7th 16, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default I'm in the process of building a new computer ....

On Sun, 07 Aug 2016 02:09:30 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2016 21:00:53 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 20:31:18 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2016 14:31:55 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 16:00:44 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2016 10:34:34 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 22:07:55 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 22:45:08 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

the only thing i can think of is a secure erase which writes 0 to
all sectors, because reformatting is fairly quick. less than a minute.

Writing 0 to all sectors is what I used to know as as a 'deep
format'.

also sometimes called low level format, both of which are incorrect
terminology.

writing 0 to all sectors is just that, writing 0. it does not alter the
format in any way.

Agreed, but a quick format leaves the user data on the disk almost
entirely untouched. Overwriting it with 0 avoids any possible
downstream problems.

only if you're worried about someone scavenging the data.

if not, then there's no issue whatsoever.

A commerial product can't afford any shortcuts which might leave them
at risk from some user in the future.

there is no risk. period. what you did was a waste of time.

There is if you are worried about someone scavenging the data.

i said that already, and since you're not selling the drive or giving
it away, that's not a factor.

I was talking about commercial products (in general). Not just my
immediate need.

you're arguing just to argue, again.

I'm trying to stick with my original point.

Every article I have read on converting from the old MBR to the GPT of
UEFI has warned me that if I do it to a disk which has been used all
data on the disk will be erased. http://tinyurl.com/zrtzcud is a
diagram from http://tinyurl.com/l4u87x4 or
http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/what...oning-a-drive/
which makes the point. I suspect it is the erasing process which
takes the time but I don't know that. Whatever is going on seems to be
regarded as essential by everything I have read about the subject but
I don't what it is and why it is essential.

But there was no reason to do those things. You weren't trying to make
a bootable disc, were you? I thought it was just another backup disc.

All you ever needed to do was right click on the drive, and select
format. Like I said, the disc itself - a 4 TB disc - does not impose a
2 TB limit. Was this an older - much older PC?

Its the MBR system of laying out a disc which imposes the 2 TB limit.
I wanted to use the full capacity of an existing 4TB HDD which had
been packed with data to the 2TB limit. I didn't want a bootable disc
but I did want the 4TB. Everything I read told me that the existing
data had to be erased in the process. I, only now, understand that
this may not be entirely correct but its not a Microsoft approved way
of doing it.

If that drive worked out of the box, it was already GPT. If not, it's
possible that you made the wrong choice when you initialized it, but I
don't see why any manufacturer would let you do that. I'm not at all
familiar with Seagate, though, and I can't remember if I was given a
choice with my WD drives.

I kind of understand now what you were trying to do, but have no idea
why it would take that long. I have no idea why anything would take
that long. I think you could have written over each bit by hand in
less than four days... I would have just assumed that something broke,
and unplugged it.

From the Internet - other people have experienced days with just 1 TB.

I believe you, but I really would have just assumed it broke. I would
have assumed that after about 30 minutes. Your patience saved you a
drive.

I know just how long some of these things take with large volumes of
data over USB. I resolved this time to wait it out.

Eric Stevens