Olympus E5 question.

Old July 1st 15, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Default Olympus E5 question.

I have this camera and when I use "live view" to take a photo I still
get the mirror flying up and down. This takes time for candid shots.

Surely the sensor does not need the mirror in "live view" since the
image comes straight from the lens onto the sensor.

Can this mirror operation be switched off for "live view"? Else can I
bypass the mirror altogether if I use an external computer?

Peter
Old July 1st 15, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Peter Jason wrote:

I have this camera and when I use "live view" to take a photo I
still get the mirror flying up and down. This takes time for candid
shots.

Uh, what camera do you have? When using live view, the mirror is up, or you
wouldn't see anything on your display. Are you saying that your mirror comes up
when you activate live view, and then comes down again when you take a picture?
That doesn't make any sense at all.

Are you sure you're not just hearing the shutter? In live view, the mirror is up
and the shutter is open, allowing the sensor to record what the lens is viewing,
when you take a picture, the shutter need to close, and then open for the
picture, close again and then open again for live view to be turned on again. For
many SLR's, this takes a while unfortunately.

Mirrorless cameras always have the shutter open, so when you take a picture, all
it needs to do is start recording the image data from the sensor and close the
shutter at the set time.

So it's just a matter of mechanical operation in a DSLR and a mirrorless where
the DSLR standard is a closed shutter and a mirrorless is an open shutter. So
more steps for a DSLR.

--
Sandman
Old July 1st 15, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

I have this camera and when I use "live view" to take a photo I
still get the mirror flying up and down. This takes time for candid
shots.

Uh, what camera do you have? When using live view, the mirror is up, or you
wouldn't see anything on your display. Are you saying that your mirror comes
up
when you activate live view, and then comes down again when you take a
picture?
That doesn't make any sense at all.

yes it does. some slrs switch out of live view mode and go through a
normal mirror cycle.
Old July 1st 15, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Peter Jason
wrote:

I have this camera and when I use "live view" to take a photo I still
get the mirror flying up and down. This takes time for candid shots.

Surely the sensor does not need the mirror in "live view" since the
image comes straight from the lens onto the sensor.

Can this mirror operation be switched off for "live view"? Else can I
bypass the mirror altogether if I use an external computer?

not all live view implementations do that.
Old July 1st 15, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Whisky-dave
wrote:

Peter Jason:
I have this camera and when I use "live view" to take a photo I
still get the mirror flying up and down. This takes time for
candid shots.

Sandman:
Uh, what camera do you have?

It's mentioned in the subject "Olympus E5 question" if that helps
;-)

Yeah, I saw that after I had posted. Oops

--
Sandman
Old July 1st 15, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , nospam wrote:

Peter Jason:
I have this camera and when I use "live view" to take a photo I
still get the mirror flying up and down. This takes time for
candid shots.

Sandman:
Uh, what camera do you have? When using live view, the mirror is
up, or you wouldn't see anything on your display. Are you saying
that your mirror comes up when you activate live view, and then
comes down again when you take a picture? That doesn't make any
sense at all.

yes it does. some slrs switch out of live view mode and go through a
normal mirror cycle.

Yes, I googled the Olympus and apparently it does that, which is just weird. It's
weird enough it goes through a normal shutter cycle, but that I can live with,
including the mirror into the cycle as well seems like someone didn't really
think it through when designing the camera.

--
Sandman
Old July 1st 15, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

[...]

it's not weird. nikon does the same thing.

it makes sense if you 'think it through'.
Old July 2nd 15, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 2/07/2015 10:13 a.m., nospam wrote:
In article ,
Sandman wrote:

[...]

Not all Nikons do this - my D300 did, but D800E doesn't. The D300 also
has the option to use PDAF in LV, in which case the mirror had to drop
down. (CDAF in liveview was essentially useless on the D300, it's only
half-useless on later model Nikon SLRs)
When the D800E shutter is released in LV mode, the shutter first closes,
then releases, but the mirror doesn't move. While there's no
mirror-slap with this system, there is shutter shock - so exposure delay
mode is useful to avoid residual vibration from the shutter first
closing (the rear curtain closing causes much more vibration than the
front curtain opening - but that shock when it snaps shut is too late to
cause a problem). With exposure delay mode, the shutter closes
immediately and stays closed until the exposure is commenced after the
preset delay.
With the D810, there's electronic front curtain shutter, presumably
decreasing (residual) shutter shock from the front (mechanical) curtain
as it opens - by commencing exposure only after it's open.
Old July 2nd 15, 03:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Me
wrote:

[...]

there are two ways to do it, with each having their own advantages and
disadvantages.

the simplest way for the camera maker is to exit live view mode and
instigate a normal shutter actuation.

having the mirror and shutter be independent is mechanically more
complex.

electronic first curtain can simplify things but nikon was slow to
adopt that. canon had that long ago.
Old July 2nd 15, 06:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , nospam wrote:

In article
,

Peter Jason:
I have this camera and when I use "live view" to take a
photo I still get the mirror flying up and down. This takes
time for candid shots.

Sandman:
Uh, what camera do you have? When using live view,
the mirror is up, or you wouldn't see anything on your
display. Are you saying that your mirror comes up when you
activate live view, and then comes down again when you take a
picture? That doesn't make any sense at all.

nospam:
yes it does. some slrs switch out of live view mode and go
through a normal mirror cycle.

Sandman:
Yes, I googled the Olympus and apparently it does that, which is
just weird. It's weird enough it goes through a normal shutter
cycle, but that I can live with, including the mirror into the
cycle as well seems like someone didn't really think it through
when designing the camera.

it's not weird. nikon does the same thing.

None of my Nikons do this.

it makes sense if you 'think it through'.

In what way does it make sense, pray tell?

--
Sandman