Digital SLR advice

Old September 11th 04, 09:45 PM
Stephan

"Chef!" wrote in message
Thanks for the feedback guys. First of all, I thought that Nikon was
renowned for its optics, no? From the replies it seems that Canon has the
edge for it's lenses. Secondly having spoken to a camera shop sales
advisor(?), he thinks that the Canon reproduces better 'fleshtones' than

the
Nikon, so I hopped over to the DBase.com for a few samples and I thought

the
Nikon had a more natural tonal appearance. Probably what will swing
it -apart from good optics- is the ability to light up and shoot straight
away with minimal lag. I will be -hoping- to shoot a great amount in b&w,
will they all do more or less the same thing or are there other factors
affecting the results as to what harware is used? Thanks.

It is like the old Chevy vs. Ford debate you know...
I recommend www.dpreview.com. You can download pics of the same targets
taken with both cameras and open them in you favorite application.
Personally I have been a Nikon guy for the past 20 years but if Nikon
doesn't come up soon with a full size sensor I'll say Hello Canon.
This said I am not sure Canon has something as perfect as the Nikon 85mm1.4
but I am sure they have something pretty close.

Stephan

Old September 11th 04, 10:18 PM
Tony

Funny - both are mainly plastic. Could it be that you are more interested
in madsterbating your camera than taking pictures?

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Jimmy G" wrote in message
The D70 FEELS like a camera.

The Canon feels like a cheap toy.

Old September 11th 04, 11:09 PM
Gauthier Design

"Stephan" wrote in message

"Chef!" wrote in message
[...]

no, Canon does not has something as perfect as teh nikon 85mm1.4, they have
something better.
Canon has a 85 mm 1.2 lens!!!!

Old September 12th 04, 12:10 AM
Apteryx

"Chef!" wrote in message
Thanks for the feedback guys. First of all, I thought that Nikon was
renowned for its optics, no? From the replies it seems that Canon has

the
edge for it's lenses.

It may do for Canon users, but that's probably why they are Cannon
users.

You can read a good list of comparisons at
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page20.asp

I bought the D70 5 months ago, and have never been as pleased with a
camera purchase. I haven't really used the Canon 300D, but did play a
little with my brother's one a couple of months before getting the D70.
At the time I was very impressed with it, & in fact it inspired me to
get the D70 which I then regarded as merely an equivalent on which I
would be able to use my old Nikon lenses (albeit without metering, since
they are very old Nikon lenses).

But I think the D70 is in fact a class or more ahead of the 300D. In
most things important to me it is also ahead of the 10D, and in some
things (spot metering and flash sync speed) still ahead of the 20D.

The things about the D70 I would miss most if I had gone for the 300D
are the fast start up (I just can't imagine how Canon users can tolerate
a 3 second start up delay, at least if like me they were coming from
film SLRs), genuine continous shooting (ie, indefinitely with a fast
card), spot metering, flash exposure compensation (plus the fantasitic
Nikon SB800, and the 1/500th sec flash sync speed), continous focusing
selectible in non program modes (ie, P, S, A & M), and the fine tuneable
white balance. I believe the battery life is also much better, although
I haven't seen any tests of this (and maybe it's just because Canon
users have to leave the thing on all the time to work around the start
up delay). The only thing about the 300D that I wish my D70 had is the
price.

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

Old September 12th 04, 12:20 AM
Stephan

"Gauthier Design" wrote in message
. ..

"Stephan" wrote in message

"Chef!" wrote in message
[...]

Is it better or only faster?

Stephan

Old September 12th 04, 12:35 AM
Rick

"Jimmy G" wrote in message
The D70 FEELS like a camera.

The Canon feels like a cheap toy.

No, actually the Canon feels like a camera.