Digital SLR advice

Old September 11th 04, 05:10 PM
David Fouchey

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:55:57 GMT, "Chef!"
wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys. First of all, I thought that Nikon was
renowned for its optics, no? From the replies it seems that Canon has the
edge for it's lenses.

Both have excellent Optics but like I said I give the edge to Canon
but not by a wide margin. Personal Opinion here not quantitative
measurements.

Secondly having spoken to a camera shop sales
advisor(?), he thinks that the Canon reproduces better 'fleshtones' than the
Nikon, so I hopped over to the DBase.com for a few samples and I thought the
Nikon had a more natural tonal appearance. Probably what will swing
it -apart from good optics- is the ability to light up and shoot straight
away with minimal lag. I will be -hoping- to shoot a great amount in b&w,
will they all do more or less the same thing or are there other factors
affecting the results as to what harware is used? Thanks.

"Chef!" wrote in message

Chef either will do nicely for B & W provided you do a bit of editing
in Photo shop. I do have a minor beef with my Rebel in that it is slow
to turn on, but it is a minor annoyance to me.

Used both Nikon and Canon and like them both. Best advice is Try them
and see what YOU like.

Dave

Hi All,

I am considering buying a digital SLR and have seen the majority of users
favoring the Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS300D -these also fall within the
constraints of my budget. Having looked at photo samples of each, they

seem
pretty similar in photo quality, but any users want to share the ups and

(if
any) downs with either of the cameras and in particular usability and

scope
for more adventurous/artistic type photography. The Canon would have the
advantage of me being able to use my lense from my 35mm EOS 600, but then
again I've always wanted to own a Nikon. Your views please.

Old September 11th 04, 05:27 PM
Juergen

Hi All,

I am considering buying a digital SLR and have seen the majority of users
favoring the Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS300D -these also fall within the
constraints of my budget. Having looked at photo samples of each, they seem
pretty similar in photo quality, but any users want to share the ups and (if
any) downs with either of the cameras and in particular usability and scope
for more adventurous/artistic type photography. The Canon would have the
advantage of me being able to use my lense from my 35mm EOS 600, but then
again I've always wanted to own a Nikon. Your views please.

I just bought a D70. My decision was mainly based on a review I read at
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm#top, but then, also, I have an
F801 and a Zoom that might fit on the D70 (I hope).

Me, I'm a Nikon fan.
Old September 11th 04, 06:17 PM
Tony

The D10 should be down in price now and would be a better choice than either
of those cameras. Nikon is living on reputation these days aalthough the D70
is probably the first good camera they have produced since the N80. I'd
stick with Canon for better glass at a lower price and teh assurance you
won't ever have to deal with Nikon Repair.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old September 11th 04, 06:19 PM
Tony

It is more than the actual optics which are probably about equal. Canon has
the better motors and more IS lenses, and the mount is better allowing for
better autofocus. Nikon has saddled themselves with a 45 year old mount far
too late in the game.

--

"Chef!" wrote in message
Thanks for the feedback guys. First of all, I thought that Nikon was
renowned for its optics, no? From the replies it seems that Canon has the
edge for it's lenses. Secondly having spoken to a camera shop sales

Old September 11th 04, 07:19 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Chef! wrote:

Secondly having spoken to a camera shop sales advisor(?), he thinks that
the Canon reproduces better 'fleshtones' than the Nikon, so I hopped over
to the DBase.com for a few samples and I thought the Nikon had a more
natural tonal appearance.

Don't knock yourself out looking for image quality differences between
these cameras. They'll both make great pictures.

The D70 is a better camera. Aside from the feature differences, it is
much faster in operation. Unless you're a sports shooter, you won't be
waiting for the camera.

The 300D is not as expensive. And if you don't need to buy any lenses
for it, then it's even less expensive. If you don't have any good Canon
lenses, just ordinary ones, then now is time time to think about replacing
them, though. When you buy good lenses, you'll have them a lot longer
than you will have whatever camera you choose.

Probably what will swing it -apart from good optics- is the ability to
light up and shoot straight away with minimal lag.

Well, the D70 can do that -- the lag is very nearly nonexistent. As a
rough by-ear estimate I'd say it's in the area of a tenth of a second
from power-on to ready-to-shoot (hold down the shutter release while
powering on the camera and that's about how long it takes between moving
the power switch and the shutter firing), and you don't have to wait
after taking a shot before it can take another one unless you fill the
buffer.

I will be -hoping- to shoot a great amount in b&w, will they all do more
or less the same thing or are there other factors affecting the results
as to what harware is used?

It doesn't sound like you have a great pre-existing preference for the way
either brand of camera works. So, try them out and go with what works for
you. You'll get great results from either camera. I prefer the Nikon
"feel", myself, but that's nothing more than personal preference.

--
Jeremy |

Old September 11th 04, 09:34 PM
Jimmy G