Apple brings the nanny state to the computer world

Old February 1st 13, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Apple brings the nanny state to the computer world

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/apple-blo...370092-11.html

That's what Apple fans pay for. They're the AOLers
of the 2010s. They just want to buy stuff and not
have to understand security. Apple has always been
a "nanny state". Most of the people I know using Macs
switched to them for exactly that reason. (They believe
Macs don't get malware, and to a great extent they're
right.)

In any case, there are very few cases where Java is
needed online and there should be none. It's an unsafe
system meant for corporate intranet applets. I've *never*
had Java installed.

Old February 1st 13, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Mayayana says...
In any case, there are very few cases where Java is
needed online and there should be none. It's an unsafe
system meant for corporate intranet applets. I've *never*
had Java installed.

Huh? The entire web runs on Java.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 1st 13, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| In any case, there are very few cases where Java is
| needed online and there should be none. It's an unsafe
| system meant for corporate intranet applets. I've *never*
| had Java installed.
|
| Huh? The entire web runs on Java.

I don't know of any sites offhand. You may possibly
run into it if you're doing something like online banking,
but in general people don't need it.

Perhaps you're thinking of javascript? There's no relation
between the two other than the fact that both were
designed to look like C++ in order to appeal to C++
programmers.

Java is semi-compiled software that runs
on top of a gigantic support framework of libraries. (Like
..Net.) The idea was that it would be perfectly safe and
fully cross-platform. It's never quite been either. Both
Java and .Net sometimes "leak" into Desktop software,
but they're really designed for writing corporate server
applets that run on a closed system.

Javascript is script (interpreted text code) mainly used
within webpage code. (Personally I don't enable javascript
in most cases, either. But if you use a lot of interactive
sites, like "webmail", Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, etc. then
it might very well seem to you that the whole Web runs
on javascript.)

Old February 1st 13, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| I don't know of any sites offhand. You may possibly
| run into it if you're doing something like online banking,
| but in general people don't need it.
|
| Minecraft.

I'm guessing that's an online video game? That
would make sense. Processor intensive functionality
doesn't work over the Internet, so it really has to
be done as installed software with an online connection.
But I doubt there are a lot of people over about 18
y.o. who care about that.

Old February 1st 13, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| But I doubt there are a lot of people over about 18
| y.o. who care about that.
|
| It does not matter who will use it. The point is that whoever does want
| to use it will be denied doing so.

You mean with Apple's move? Maybe so. I'm certainly
not defending Apple. I was only saying that most people
can go without Java, if they even have it in the first place.
(Read back up the subthread.)

Old February 1st 13, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Mayayana says...
I don't know of any sites offhand. You may possibly
run into it if you're doing something like online banking,
but in general people don't need it.

Perhaps you're thinking of javascript? There's no relation
between the two other than the fact that both were
designed to look like C++ in order to appeal to C++
programmers.

So Apple did not disable the Java which the web pages use but another
Java?
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 1st 13, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DanP

On Friday, 1 February 2013 19:14:43 UTC, MC wrote:

It does not matter who will use it. The point is that whoever does want
to use it will be denied doing so.

Well, you have a point, if you buy the hardware you own it and can do whatever you want with it. Install Linux on dualboot on it and have full control. But most Mac users will stick to the Mac OS.

I see Apple as an OS maker and I fully understand why they want their product to be safe by removing third party buggy software. Fortunately Apple is not the only OS manufacturer and you can install Linux or Windows on a Mac.

DanP
Old February 1st 13, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Perhaps you're thinking of javascript? There's no relation
| between the two other than the fact that both were
| designed to look like C++ in order to appeal to C++
| programmers.
|
| So Apple did not disable the Java which the web pages use but another
| Java?

Apple disabled Java, the "virtual machine" that used
to be owned by Sun and is now owned by Oracle. The
same Java that the Java programming language is used
with. Java is used to write Java applets, which are a kind
of semi-compiled software. Java applets can be
embedded in webpages.

But **very few webpages use Java.** (Like ActiveX,
PDF plugins and Flash, Java is not really in the webpage.
Rather, it's a software program that gets downloaded and
runs as an executable, but appears to be part of the
webpage. Like ActiveX, Java applets in webpages has
fallen out of favor due to compatibility and safety issues.)

If you want to use a webpage that requires Java you
have to install the Java VM, which is somewhere around
200 MB. You can then run Java software in your browser.
If you want to use a webpage that requires javascript
you just have to enable javascript and the browser will
parse it.

Apple did not disable javascript, which a lot of webpages
use. Javascript is just text that is part of the webpage
code, which gets interpreted by the browser when it
renders the webpage.

If you use Firefox then javascript is adjusted under
Content- Enable javascript, while Java is an add-on
or plug-in.
If you use Internet Explorer then Java (if it's even
installed) is adjusted under Security - Java VM while
javascript is adjusted under Security - Active scripting.

In Windows you can check for Java, or uninstall it, in
Add/Remove Programs, because it's a very big, installed
software platform. Javascript is not installed. It's just
an ability of the browser to read it.

I hope that's clear. I don't know how else to explain it.
Java is not javascript and javascript is not Java. The only
thing they have in common is that both use a lot of ;
and {}.

Old February 2nd 13, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-02-01 15:08:34 -0800, "Mayayana" said:

| Perhaps you're thinking of javascript? There's no relation
| between the two other than the fact that both were
| designed to look like C++ in order to appeal to C++
| programmers.
|
| So Apple did not disable the Java which the web pages use but another
| Java?

Apple disabled Java, the "virtual machine" that used
to be owned by Sun and is now owned by Oracle. The
same Java that the Java programming language is used
with. Java is used to write Java applets, which are a kind
of semi-compiled software. Java applets can be
embedded in webpages.

But **very few webpages use Java.** (Like ActiveX,
PDF plugins and Flash, Java is not really in the webpage.
Rather, it's a software program that gets downloaded and
runs as an executable, but appears to be part of the
webpage. Like ActiveX, Java applets in webpages has
fallen out of favor due to compatibility and safety issues.)

If you want to use a webpage that requires Java you
have to install the Java VM, which is somewhere around
200 MB. You can then run Java software in your browser.
If you want to use a webpage that requires javascript
you just have to enable javascript and the browser will
parse it.

Apple did not disable javascript, which a lot of webpages
use. Javascript is just text that is part of the webpage
code, which gets interpreted by the browser when it
renders the webpage.

If you use Firefox then javascript is adjusted under
Content- Enable javascript, while Java is an add-on
or plug-in.
If you use Internet Explorer then Java (if it's even
installed) is adjusted under Security - Java VM while
javascript is adjusted under Security - Active scripting.

In Windows you can check for Java, or uninstall it, in
Add/Remove Programs, because it's a very big, installed
software platform. Javascript is not installed. It's just
an ability of the browser to read it.

I hope that's clear. I don't know how else to explain it.
Java is not javascript and javascript is not Java. The only
thing they have in common is that both use a lot of ;
and {}.

Just to bring everybody up to date;

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/01/...ug-in-on-os-x/

or