How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Old October 30th 12, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

What I haven't yet found is an easy way to
delete +1800 images from the "All Imports" folder of the iPad. There
doesn't even seem to be an easy way to select a large number of images
at a time.

to delete on the device, tap the action button at the top right, then
tap the photos you want to delete, then tap the red delete button.

This is at the heart of my problem. While I have action buttons in
some places, I don't have one where I need it for the purpose of
deleting.

where are you looking?

for deleting 1800 images, you really don't want to do it on the device.
do it on the computer.

if you want to delete all, use whatever software you used to copy them
and delete them there. again, the ipad shows up as a standard ordinary
digital camera.

Google tells me I'm not the first person to strike this problem

that's because a lot of people are stupid.

You should read what I've written and then reconsider that remark.

what's to reconsider? a lot of people are stupid, they don't read the
manual, they assume there's no way to do something and then whine on
the internet.

deleting photos is easy.
Old October 30th 12, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

What I relly want to do is delete the 1800 images, but I don't want to
do it one at a time. None of the three albums has the action button.
If I touch 'Edit' I do get a red 'Delete' but that requires I select
each image individually. If I select say 5 images and then hit
'Delete' the iPad will ask me 'Delete Everywhere?'. If I say 'Yes' it
will delete only the 5 I have selected. 1795 to go :-(

you selected 5, so it deletes 5. what did you expect it to do?

plug it into the computer and delete all of them there. why make this
more complex than it needs to be?
Old October 30th 12, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald[_6_]

On 10/30/2012 10:26 AM, Savageduck wrote:

To "Delete" individual, or groups of image files from my iPad or iPhone, I open the "Camera Roll",
touch the "action" button (the one with the arrow sweeping to the right, and found in the upper
right corner) select the files I want to delete by touching each one, and having that confirmed by
seeing the blue check mark on the thumbnail. Then I have the option of deleting those files, all
quite simple.
Perhaps, not efficient when trying to manage/delete 100's, or 1000's or image files as one might
when using a desktop or laptop computer, but simple enough.

yes, exactly ... a perfect example of the Apple philosophy ...
make things VERY hard

I have an iPod. I really wanted a non-Apple product with a better
system, but all the ones I tried failed in 2 weeks or less,
averaging 8 hours of use.

So I bought an iPod. It lasted one year and two weeks then died ...
which made my happy I paid for Best Buy's extended warranty. Several
ones later, they have lasted an average of less than two years ...
but that's better than 8 hours.

But the user interface, including the obligatory iTunes, is
screwed up. Especially on my last one, the Nano that is actually
a grown-up Shuffle. It doesn't shuffle correctly. Nor would
it, originally, play through a long playlist from beginning to end ...
it got lost if turned off over a day. To their credit, a bitch to Apple
by me and lots of others resulted in a software update that fixed that.

But still .... iTunes and the iPod itself have woefully deficient
in tools to actually play whole works of classical music
correctly. There is a trivial solution that works perfectly,
but it is a pain: rename each and every track you load into
iTunes before you do the load ... meaning, don't use iTunes to
rip CDs (you can, of course, with more work.) I rename every
piece of music so one piece corresponds to an "album", whether
it has one track (in some cases, up to 110 minutes!) or 50.
This works. Then I make playlists with a hundred or two
pieces of music ... randomly shuffled ... and load that on my 16 gig
iPod. This works perfectly .... but its a pain: I had to write
a computer program to to the playlist creation.

All of Apple is like that, with other user convenience deficiencies ..
and apparently Windows 8 is acting similarly.

And this thread seems to say that the iPad is similar is useability problems.

Doug McDonald
Old October 30th 12, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Doug McDonald
wrote:

yes, exactly ... a perfect example of the Apple philosophy ...
make things VERY hard

nonsense. even babies who haven't learned to talk yet can figure out
how to use apple products.

I have an iPod. I really wanted a non-Apple product with a better
system, but all the ones I tried failed in 2 weeks or less,
averaging 8 hours of use.

So I bought an iPod. It lasted one year and two weeks then died ...
which made my happy I paid for Best Buy's extended warranty. Several
ones later, they have lasted an average of less than two years ...
but that's better than 8 hours.

you got unlucky. i have several idevices, including a 10 year old ipod,
and none of them have failed prematurely.

But the user interface, including the obligatory iTunes, is
screwed up. Especially on my last one, the Nano that is actually
a grown-up Shuffle. It doesn't shuffle correctly.

what is 'shuffle correctly'? shuffle picks music at random. sometimes
it might pick a song you don't like. that's what random *means*.

Nor would
it, originally, play through a long playlist from beginning to end ...
it got lost if turned off over a day.

you did something to make it stop in the middle.

To their credit, a bitch to Apple
by me and lots of others resulted in a software update that fixed that.

it wasn't broken.

But still .... iTunes and the iPod itself have woefully deficient
in tools to actually play whole works of classical music
correctly. There is a trivial solution that works perfectly,
but it is a pain: rename each and every track you load into
iTunes before you do the load ... meaning, don't use iTunes to
rip CDs (you can, of course, with more work.)

nonsense. first of all, it works just fine with classical. second, the
names of the songs do not matter. itunes and ipods use id3 tags.

also, if you use itunes, it adds the id3 tags automatically, so it's
*less* work. you can edit them if you want to tweak it. if you use
something else, the id3 tags may be incorrect, and you will have
problems.

I rename every
piece of music so one piece corresponds to an "album", whether
it has one track (in some cases, up to 110 minutes!) or 50.

you're making more work for yourself, and it's no wonder you're having
other problems.

This works.

it really doesn't. it's the most convoluted way to do something.

Then I make playlists with a hundred or two
pieces of music ... randomly shuffled ... and load that on my 16 gig
iPod. This works perfectly .... but its a pain: I had to write
a computer program to to the playlist creation.

you are *really* making more work for yourself. *none* of this is
required.

All of Apple is like that, with other user convenience deficiencies ..
and apparently Windows 8 is acting similarly.

And this thread seems to say that the iPad is similar is useability problems.

not at all. deleting photos is trivial.
Old October 30th 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-30 10:12:52 -0700, nospam said:

In article , Doug McDonald
wrote:

And this thread seems to say that the iPad is similar is useability problems.

not at all. deleting photos is trivial.

Agreed. There seems to be a handful of individuals unable to wrap their
Windows centric thinking around the simple task of deleting images from
iPad or iPhone.

Savageduck

Old October 30th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 15:26, Savageduck wrote:
[]
To "Delete" individual, or groups of image files from my iPad or iPhone,
I open the "Camera Roll", touch the "action" button (the one with the
arrow sweeping to the right, and found in the upper right corner) select
the files I want to delete by touching each one, and having that
confirmed by seeing the blue check mark on the thumbnail. Then I have
the option of deleting those files, all quite simple.
Perhaps, not efficient when trying to manage/delete 100's, or 1000's or
image files as one might when using a desktop or laptop computer, but
simple enough.

Not a matter of simplicity, it's usability. Touching each photo is fine
if you have a small number to delete, but I take a hundred photos a day
or more when on holiday, and I don't expect to have to touch a thousand
images or more at the end of the trip. A select all option, or the
ability to delete a day at a time is an obvious requirement which Apple
have missed.

Crazy!
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 30th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Eric Stevens
says...
What do I do?

No idea, but I'm glad I didn't buy Apple devices. At least with Android,
once you connect it via USB, it becomes a mass storage device, allowing
you to do whatever you want efficiently.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 30th 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

And this thread seems to say that the iPad is similar is useability
problems.

not at all. deleting photos is trivial.

Agreed. There seems to be a handful of individuals unable to wrap their
Windows centric thinking around the simple task of deleting images from
iPad or iPhone.

definitely. windows and especially linux conditions people into making
things harder than it needs to be.
Old October 30th 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

What do I do?

No idea, but I'm glad I didn't buy Apple devices. At least with Android,
once you connect it via USB, it becomes a mass storage device, allowing
you to do whatever you want efficiently.

as i said before, if you plug the ipad into a computer, it shows up as
a standard digital camera and then you can copy and delete photos as
you would with any other device, using whatever software you prefer.

why is everyone making this far more complex than it needs to be?
Old October 30th 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

[...]

aren't you going to want to copy the photos to your computer?

after you copy the photos and with the ipad still connected, select all
and delete. in fact, some software can be configured to delete the
photos automatically when you copy photos, so there's nothing
additional to do.