Possible new feature for next Photoshop

Old October 11th 11, 04:47 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Possible new feature for next Photoshop

It seems this "Removal of blur" filter could possibly be included in a
future Photoshop release.
http://gizmodo.com/5848371/photoshop...y-pics-forever

Savageduck

Old October 11th 11, 07:42 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

"Savageduck" wrote in message
It seems this "Removal of blur" filter could possibly be included in a
future Photoshop release.
http://gizmodo.com/5848371/photoshop...y-pics-forever

I love this : "Keep in mind that this won't fix your out of focus images..."
then says "...no more ruined personal photos".

Given that as many photo's are often ruined by being out of focus, or
commonly focused on the wrong spot with many people not knowing how to use
autofocus properly, I'd say the latter claim is fanciful unless they can get
another filter to fix all those out of focus shots too!

Trevor.

Old October 11th 11, 08:09 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 11/10/2011 04:47, Savageduck wrote:
It seems this "Removal of blur" filter could possibly be included in a
future Photoshop release.
http://gizmodo.com/5848371/photoshop...y-pics-forever

It will only solve the limited case of motion blur, and probably only
then provided that the blur is invariant across the image. So if you
twist the camera rather than jerking it sideways all bets are off.

The problem is called blind deconvolution and solutions have been
available for a price (financial and computational) for decades. What is
new is that modern PCs are now powerful enough to do it.

This has been available for forensic use since about 1980 using Maximum
Entropy deconvolution (and related non-linear methods).
See for example the page belonging to MEDC.

http://www.maxent.co.uk/example_1.htm

Although the page is dated 1999 I know that image originated in 1980-1.
You can also find a copy of it on the back page of the Times (ca 1980).

The technique originated in astronomy where getting the sharpest image
out of finite apertures really counts. It came into its own when the
Hubble telescope was found to be afflicted with severe spherical
aberration and computational deconvolution was needed for all its
images. They also used the same method to work out the formulation for
the corrective optics pack that was installed in HST service mission 1.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 11th 11, 04:11 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
notbob

On 2011-10-11, Bruce wrote:

This is just an excuse for people not to learn to shoot sharp images.

An excuse to make more $$$$ for Adobe.

nb
Old October 11th 11, 04:22 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 2011-10-11, wrote:

This is just an excuse for people not to learn to shoot sharp images.

Sometimes you don't have the option of a second chance.

The number plate of a speeding getaway car for instance or the blurred
mugshot of a bank robber from CCTV.

An excuse to make more $$$$ for Adobe.

nb

Undoubtedly. It is unwise to put too much faith in its capabilities.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 11th 11, 04:33 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-10-11, Bruce wrote:

This is just an excuse for people not to learn to shoot sharp images.

An excuse to make more $$$$ for Adobe.

nb

Well did you expect the changes in PS from PS7 to CS5 to be free?

CS5 updated ACR with a new & improved RAW process engine very different
from the old 2003 version.
CS5 brought new features, such as content aware fill and healing were
added. These were not possible to include in earlier versions. CS5 is
also full cross platform 64bit capable.

CS6, CS7, and on will be no different. There will be updates and
upgrades and they will not be free. There is a cost to software
development at that level, and that has to be recovered at some stage.

Savageduck

Old October 11th 11, 04:39 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
notbob

On 2011-10-11, Savageduck wrote:

Well did you expect the changes in PS from PS7 to CS5 to be free?

Since I use Linux and FOSS, I expect exactly nothing from Adobe.

nb

--
vi ....the heart of evil!
Old October 11th 11, 04:54 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-10-11, Savageduck wrote:

Well did you expect the changes in PS from PS7 to CS5 to be free?

Since I use Linux and FOSS, I expect exactly nothing from Adobe.

nb

....and that is a choice you have made.

So now that you have stated your position regarding OS & software, you
need not comment further.

Savageduck

Old October 11th 11, 05:04 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
notbob

On 2011-10-11, Pete A wrote:

of hard-earned money that drives so many to pursue their hobby "If only
I had an xyz, I could do better." Adobe cashes in by indulging their
fantasy

I can't disagree. I'd rather spend my time/money on the front end of
the process. Equipment, location, composition, etc.

In fact, I'm rather dismayed by the change in perceptions of what
constitutes good photography in this post digital world. Too often I
see terribly garish HDR shots being passed off as good photography. A
recent issue of Outdoor Photography had one of the columnists patting
himself on the back about how he'd transformed his admittedly mediocre
shot of a lone pine tree with some low sun backlighting into a "WOW"
shot with HDR. It was hideous! Looked more like a LSD flashback gone
bad or a corpse in clown makeup. Sorry, but a crappy photo is a
crappy photo, regardless of one's "process".

nb

--
vi ....the heart of evil!
Old October 11th 11, 05:29 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
notbob

On 2011-10-11, Savageduck wrote:

So now that you have stated your position regarding OS & software, you
need not comment further.

Thank you for your opinion, but I think I shall be the one who decides
whether or not I "comment further", and on what.

regards
nb

--
vi ....the heart of evil!