Canon Digital EOS Rebel Pros and Cons

Old June 28th 04, 02:23 PM
Phil Wheeler

Default Canon Digital EOS Rebel Pros and Cons

Chris Brown wrote:

In article ,
David J. Littleboy wrote:

"David Kilpatrick" wrote:

Apart from the functional differences and build, the viewfinder is the
main difference. Like the Nikon D70, the 300D uses a mirror box instead
of a glass prism, to cut down on weight and cost. The 10D uses a real
prism, and the result is much crisper, more contrasty viewfinder image.

This is a tale you hear a lot. If you actually try the
cameras in a store, you _may_ find it to be quite wrong.

Quite so. I have a 10D, my wife has a 300D. I'm hard pressed to see any
difference in the viewfinder with the same lens mounted.

My experiences, too.

Phil

Old June 28th 04, 02:46 PM
leo

"Rick" wrote in message
m...

"Christina S Cericola" wrote in message
groups.com...
To: Fellow Photographers and Photography enthusiasts,

I have searched rec,photo,digital and did not find what I was Looking

for.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with the Canon Digital EOS

Rebel
, What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it.? I read
about the differences between it and the 10D. I just wanted some feed

back
from people that actually shot with it. Thanks in advance for everyone's
help. I always can count on this newsgroup for help. :-)

I have had mine for a few months now and I love it. Incredibly clear,
beautiful pics, I love being able to use quality Canon glass and it has

more
features than I'll ever use. I do wish it had a bigger buffer---you only
get 4 shots before it has to unload to the memory card---but it hasn't

been
a big deal for me so far.

My take is if you know what you're missing in 300D that you absolutely need,
by all mean, get 10D. Otherwise, you'd be glad to save a few hundreds on
300D, collect some good lenses. My experience is a really good lens make
lots of difference in color saturation, contrast, sharpness. In general,
many people are quite happy with their 300D. When a replacement camera with
new sensor technology comes out, you won't feel too bad about selling your
current one. 6MP is good but I feel that the lenses I have got can resolve
more than the current sensors.

Old June 28th 04, 03:08 PM
Mike Caine

Quite so. I have a 10D, my wife has a 300D. I'm hard pressed to see any
difference in the viewfinder with the same lens mounted.

My experiences, too.

Ditto and Ditto. I'd forgotten that the 300D has a mirrored box
Old June 28th 04, 04:17 PM
Giorgio Preddio

"Christina S Cericola" wrote in message sgroups.com...
To: Fellow Photographers and Photography enthusiasts,

I have searched rec,photo,digital and did not find what I was Looking for.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with the Canon Digital EOS Rebel
, What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it.? I read
about the differences between it and the 10D. I just wanted some feed back
from people that actually shot with it. Thanks in advance for everyone's
help. I always can count on this newsgroup for help. :-)

I can't think of any pros, but here are some of the cons:

1) ****-quality plastic build
2) Metering/exposure problems
3) Focus problems
4) Poor effective resolution
5) Horrible software
6) Battery consumption is ridiculouly bad
7) Must use tripod or IS lenses to prevent camera shake (unlike Sigma
SD* cameras which have camera-shake elimination built into the body)
8) Will be obsolete in a few years
9) Too much noise
10) Uses old sensor technolgy - records image pixels in monochrome
instead of color like the Sigma SD* cameras which use the Foveon
sensor

Look into the Sigma SD10. This is the best digital SLR you can buy.
Old June 28th 04, 05:36 PM
Chris Down

Giorgio appears to have something against Canons..

Can't think why.. All four of my Canons have been superb, the 300D being the
best of the bunch by far.

OK.. so it isn't made of magnesium alloy, and it probably will break if I
use it as a hammer. But I have plenty of other hammers and treat my
cameras with care.

If you read the 300D manual and follow the instructions the only bad shots
will be your own fault.

Printed at 7x5 the prints can't be distinguished from 35mm film.

Colour matching is great, both in the files and when professionallt
printed.. better than 35mm

Camera shake.. well try drining less or using a faster shutter speed. Over
the past 20 years I have applied a simple rule with all cameras digital or
35mm.. Use 1/focal length(mm) as your max exposure time in seconds. If
you can't het faster than say 1/250 sec with your 250mm lens then usea
tripod.
The Canon 300D will of course go to 1600 ASA equivalient, and theexra noise
from this can't be seen on a 7x5 print full frame.

As for battery use.. I tool 150 max resolution shots with the 300D and went
through culling out the duds and showing my wife the pics.. The battery was
not fully discharged doing this, and with 45 mins in the charger it was
ready to go again.

Aside from a few extra features in the 10D the technology is the same 300D
or 10D. I guess the choice depends on depth of pocket..
BTW 300D is what we Brits know the Digital Rebel as.. I bought mine in the
USA to save $700 so it says Rebel on the front.

To: Fellow Photographers and Photography enthusiasts,

Old June 28th 04, 05:54 PM
Tony Spadaro

Girogio is a troll and a liar. Pay no attention to his rants.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

To: Fellow Photographers and Photography enthusiasts,