10D ISO ratings a lie?

Old August 3rd 04, 12:59 AM
Darrell Larose

Default 10D ISO ratings a lie?

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message

You've got the same name as our commie representative to Congress in
this area. They're not cutting in the Olympic National Park.

Now you at least clarified National Parks. There is lumbering on National
Lands, not all US National Land is designated Parks.

Old August 3rd 04, 01:46 AM
Rob Davison

wrote:
In message ,
Rob Davison wrote:

If I understand the 'sunny 16' rule right then my 10D seems to be
spot on. Test shot (manual mode, ISO 100 @ F16 1/100th):

http://www.pbase.com/image/32057597

The histogram for this image has data right the way across.

This image does not exist, according to pbase, at the time of this post.

My apologies. It is back up there now along with several slightly more
interesting photographs taken with the same settings (as sunny16a-d)
on this page:

http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/recent&page=3

The snowdrops are perhaps slightly underexposed but by nowhere near as
much as the car in your example photo.

Maybe your 10D is unwell?

There is nothing wrong with the camera, relatively speaking. Exposure
is generally fine, using the internal metering. The camera's exposure
system is clearly calibrated to the sensitivity of the sensor and the
gain amplifier.

BUT, I have noticed in the past that my images tend to have less noise
than most other 10Ds at the same ISO.

Mine shows a number of very noticeable 'hot pixels' in two minute night
exposures and a poster in another recent thread apparently has virtually
none in an eleven minute exposure so you might be right.

Hard to believe that Canons QC (or the components being used if you
don't look at it as a 'problem') can vary so much all the same.

Interesting thread. Thanks for starting it.

Rob.
Old August 3rd 04, 02:02 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Brian C.
Baird wrote:

Replanting doesn't do much. It's in the best interests of the timber
companies to clear cut every damn tree within sight. Point being?
There are better ways to harvest timber.

There's nothing wrong with clearcutting as long as it's done properly.
It just ain't pretty.

this area. They're not cutting in the Olympic National Park.

Maybe because it's a... NATIONAL PARK?

You said they were cutting in national parks. They're not.

Old August 4th 04, 06:41 AM
G.T.

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article , Apteryx
wrote:

I see that I misrembered a couple of key points (or else remembered
things said by posters and forgot the article). The reduction is
claimed to be only 10% rather than 50% (although it is said to be as
high as 37% in Hong Kong) and the cause is pollution rather than the
sun's output.

Sounds like more bull**** from the greeners.

So there is no air pollution?

--
Destroy your safe and happy lives
Before it is too late
Old August 4th 04, 06:41 AM
G.T.

Old August 7th 04, 02:16 PM
Hans Fischl

I second that! This image definitely does not qualify for the 'sunny 16'
rule. Try taking an image without shadows on a cloudless day during maximum
sunlight. As was stated earlier, this setting is only the 'starting point'
for a bracket. Keep in mind that light intensity is dynamic - it is
constantly changing.

"Darrell Larose" wrote in message
ers.com...

wrote in message
In message ,
Brian C. Baird wrote:

Sunny f16 photo from 10D:

http://www.pbase.com/image/32053524

The white border is so that you don't adapt to the dark image and
perceive the highlights as brighter than they are.

The image is converted in ACR with default parameters; no levels
adjustments whatsoever. No processing in PS other than bicubic resize
to 600*400 and border added.
--

That IS NOT a sunny f:16 image. What did you meter in that image?