New Sony lenses for smartphones

Old September 5th 13, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default New Sony lenses for smartphones

In article ,
Nick Fotis wrote:

(no, I am not drunk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TWh3EvSZ_0

http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-qx-lenses-261278/

http://photorumors.com/2013/09/02/mo...10-and-dsc-qx1
00-lens-camera-modules-for-smart-phones/
YouTube - Videos from this email

And Adorama has already these items on their site:
http://www.adorama.com/results/sony-qx

Things are changine more and more radically, it seems.

We live in interesting times.

N.F.

Yeah, I just saw this as well. Very strange! It's a camera in a lens,
where the camera back is replaced by an app in your smart phone. So you
view and control the camera/lens from your smart phone.

It's... well, actually, it's not a *bad* idea. It's a very interesting
idea. Samsung did a "smart camera" in the Galaxy Camera where the camera
ran Android and you have access to all the apps.

This is the same take, but you separate them and let the user use
whatever smartphone he or she is already using, not forcing another
smartphone OS or device on them in the process.

The only real problem, other than it being slightly cumbersome to use,
is that it's NOT the built in camera. It's a stand-alone device that
uses a special app on your phone to send video/image data to. So when
you want to update your facebook profile picture and choose to take a
new picture, you can't pick this lens as the one that takes the picture.

28-100mm/f1.8-4.9 are also some pretty neat numbers in a small package.
It's a tiny tiny sensor though, so we should wait for some test pictures
before getting too impressed.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old September 5th 13, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sandman
wrote:

The only real problem, other than it being slightly cumbersome to use,
is that it's NOT the built in camera.

that's a feature. you are now no longer limited to the sensor in the
camera.

It's a stand-alone device that
uses a special app on your phone to send video/image data to. So when
you want to update your facebook profile picture and choose to take a
new picture, you can't pick this lens as the one that takes the picture.

which you could do if the app supports uploading to facebook or
whatever other service you might want to use. most likely it will save
it in the camera roll, and then you can upload it with another app.
maybe there's a way for app developers to access the camera directly,
and then the possibilities are limitless.
Old September 5th 13, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
nospam wrote:

The only real problem, other than it being slightly cumbersome to use,
is that it's NOT the built in camera.

that's a feature. you are now no longer limited to the sensor in the
camera.

It's a stand-alone device that
uses a special app on your phone to send video/image data to. So when
you want to update your facebook profile picture and choose to take a
new picture, you can't pick this lens as the one that takes the picture.

which you could do if the app supports uploading to facebook or
whatever other service you might want to use.

No, I couldn't. I couldn't use the facebook app and press update profile
image and choose take picture and use this lens. I have to use the lens
app to first take the picture and hope that it supports the destination
I have in mind for the picture. And in some cases, the destination
doesn't allow for any other app to submit image data, such as instagram.

This is not a huge problem, but it's a bit limiting to have to use this
one app only when using the lens. But of course, it's no difference when
having to use Sony software when using their NEX cameras, so...

--
Sandman[.net]
Old September 5th 13, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sandman
wrote:

It's a stand-alone device that
uses a special app on your phone to send video/image data to. So when
you want to update your facebook profile picture and choose to take a
new picture, you can't pick this lens as the one that takes the picture.

which you could do if the app supports uploading to facebook or
whatever other service you might want to use.

No, I couldn't. I couldn't use the facebook app and press update profile
image and choose take picture and use this lens. I have to use the lens
app to first take the picture and hope that it supports the destination
I have in mind for the picture. And in some cases, the destination
doesn't allow for any other app to submit image data, such as instagram.

unless the facebook or instagram apps interfaced with the camera, which
it could do if there's an api for it. i dunno if there is or not but if
they were smart, there will be.

This is not a huge problem, but it's a bit limiting to have to use this
one app only when using the lens. But of course, it's no difference when
having to use Sony software when using their NEX cameras, so...

on the other hand, for just shooting photos, it won't be a problem.
Old September 5th 13, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
nospam wrote:

No, I couldn't. I couldn't use the facebook app and press update profile
image and choose take picture and use this lens. I have to use the lens
app to first take the picture and hope that it supports the destination
I have in mind for the picture. And in some cases, the destination
doesn't allow for any other app to submit image data, such as instagram.

unless the facebook or instagram apps interfaced with the camera, which
it could do if there's an api for it. i dunno if there is or not but if
they were smart, there will be.

But, to be honest - the chance of that happening is so close to nil that
it's not even worth considering

I mean, if it comes with an API then I can imagine that apps such as
Camera+ supporting it, but not just any app that has a camera interface
in any way.

This is not a huge problem, but it's a bit limiting to have to use this
one app only when using the lens. But of course, it's no difference when
having to use Sony software when using their NEX cameras, so...

on the other hand, for just shooting photos, it won't be a problem.

No, as long as the app is good enough.

--
Sandman[.net]