FILE SMALL-IFIER

Old November 29th 04, 05:12 PM

Default FILE SMALL-IFIER

I've recently bought a KODAK CX7330.

The pics it send to my computer average 500KB jpg files.

This is a bit big to eMail.

Is there a program that'll reduce a jpg file to 50 80KB ?

I have IRFAN, MS-Photo, PhotoStudio-5,
and the KODAK Easyshare progs.

Apparently, I haven't found the right menu...

rj
Old November 29th 04, 07:15 PM
David Greenhough

In message , "RJ"
writes
I've recently bought a KODAK CX7330.

The pics it send to my computer average 500KB jpg files.

This is a bit big to eMail.

Is there a program that'll reduce a jpg file to 50 80KB ?

I have IRFAN,

Resize / resample 640x480= around 125KB so 400x300 should get what you
want

MS-Photo,

v7
Save as
Save for web

PhotoStudio-5,

Dunno

and the KODAK Easyshare progs.

Version3.2.2.6
save as
resize
best for web

Apparently, I haven't found the right menu...

RTFM ;-)

rj

Irfanview does a nice job and will work on batch resizes
also resamples to keep quality.

Other progs will let you chose compression rate to let you keep size &
just loose quality.

Your choice

greeny
--
David Greenhough

Old November 29th 04, 07:23 PM
Aerticeus

Alternatively reduce it to a right-click then 2 left clicks directly from
Windows Explorer or the directory.

But first!

You'll have to download and install MS Powertoys for Windows XP Image
Resizer

Aerticeus

"David Greenhough" wrote in message
In message , "RJ"
writes

Old November 29th 04, 08:57 PM
Ralph Mowery

"RJ" wrote in message
I've recently bought a KODAK CX7330.

The pics it send to my computer average 500KB jpg files.

This is a bit big to eMail.

Is there a program that'll reduce a jpg file to 50 80KB ?

I have IRFAN, MS-Photo, PhotoStudio-5,
and the KODAK Easyshare progs.

Apparently, I haven't found the right menu...

Use IRFAN. Go to FILE and click on BATCH CONVERSION/RENAME. Under the
Batch conversions that comes up next, save them as a .JPG file. Look under
Options under Save Quality and put in a unumber of about 15 to 20 and see
how small the file is. If too big or small , adjust that number. Just be
sure that you do not copy the files back to the same directory under the
same name.

Old November 29th 04, 09:07 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:12:51 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

I've recently bought a KODAK CX7330.

The pics it send to my computer average 500KB jpg files.

This is a bit big to eMail.

Is there a program that'll reduce a jpg file to 50 80KB ?

I have IRFAN, MS-Photo, PhotoStudio-5,
and the KODAK Easyshare progs.

Apparently, I haven't found the right menu...

rj

In Irfanview, it's under File Batch Conversion/Rename
Load the image files, and set the parameters, and Start.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old November 29th 04, 11:29 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I did some experimenting with IRFAN, and it does the job.

I'll also try some pics using MS-Photo.
now that I know what I'm aiming for.

I'd always thought that resize had to do with the size of the
picture,... not the size of the file.
( ...so much to learn )

Old November 30th 04, 03:20 AM
Matt Ion

RJ wrote:

I've recently bought a KODAK CX7330.

The pics it send to my computer average 500KB jpg files.

This is a bit big to eMail.

Is there a program that'll reduce a jpg file to 50 80KB ?

I have IRFAN, MS-Photo, PhotoStudio-5,
and the KODAK Easyshare progs.

Apparently, I haven't found the right menu...

The EasyShare software should include an "E-Mail" option - just select
the picture(s) you want to send and click the Email button or menu item,
and it will resize appropriately (I believe it gives you some kind of
size-vs.-quality option; it's been a while since I used the version that
came with my parents' CX4300.)

Old November 30th 04, 03:23 AM
Matt Ion

RJ wrote:

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I did some experimenting with IRFAN, and it does the job.

I'll also try some pics using MS-Photo.
now that I know what I'm aiming for.

I'd always thought that resize had to do with the size of the
picture,... not the size of the file.
( ...so much to learn )

Resize DOES affect the size of the picture... a smaller picture yields a
smaller file. You can ALSO shrink the file without shrinking the
picture by setting a higher compression level, but that will reduce
image quality as well. Most programs I've used are set to save JPEGs at
75-85% quality by default, so even just loading and resaving a file
without altering it will reduce the filesize.

If you actually use your EasyShare software, I'd recommend finding the
appropriate option within it for emailing pictures - it'll make life a
whole lot easier.